Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's a great idea Thanks - I have some other ripstop and lots of cattails. I feel a full length UQ in the future
    Any way I can convince you to part with some of your cattails? (hard to find in San Diego...) Make me an offer...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I think my next DIY underquilt will have the hammock-side made from 1.1 oz sil and the outer shell from 1.1 oz DWR.
    Interesting. Have you considered a hammock made from sil or cuben? I know a few others have tried these, but I haven't heard much from hammockforums except concerns about condensation. Stretch is another factor; sil has it, cuben doesn't. Which do you think would be more comfortable? I was going to "perfect" my hammock designs for comfort first, and then consider how to make an ultralight version. This is getting off-topic a bit, but moisture and temperature control are things that affect comfort, whether the vapor barrier layer is the hammock itself or the top of an underquilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Any way I can convince you to part with some of your cattails? (hard to find in San Diego...) Make me an offer...
    Sorry JS, I read the post about using cattails late in the season and think I only just got enough for my own quilt. I'd also be happy to collect some next season if you're still interested - send me a PM to remind me next summer. If I find I'm wrong and end up with extra, I'll send you what's left - I plan to start after I get through the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by WVhammockmaker View Post
    This is getting off-topic a bit, but moisture and temperature control are things that affect comfort, whether the vapor barrier layer is the hammock itself or the top of an underquilt.
    I am finding that there is always some dead air space (even 1/4") between my hammock and the MW4 UQ I just got. This should allow any moisture to be away from my skin enough to avoid the discomfort. Haven't had the problem yet (perspiring enough that it collects) though, so you could be right.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2009 at 20:50.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sorry JS, I read the post about using cattails late in the season and think I only just got enough for my own quilt. I'd also be happy to collect some next season if you're still interested - send me a PM to remind me next summer. If I find I'm wrong and end up with extra, I'll send you what's left - I plan to start after I get through the holidays.
    That's a generous offer. I'd certainly be more than happy to cover any costs. (USPS click-and ship is a wonderful thing, or paypal works, too!)

In another thread, Kermegan is also working/"malingering" on a cattail down project... I'm very interested in your results... Since climashield is so cheap, it might not be worth the effort, but we'll see...

I'm hoping to make a top-quilt sometime before summer, but we'll see when I have time... I might have to convert my Alpine Designs 20-degree bag... I got it on sale cheap enough, and it's just too constricting as a mummy (apparently, I've gained some weight since my younger days.)

John
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 12-23-2009 at 02:26.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I think my next DIY underquilt will have the hammock-side made from 1.1 oz sil and the outer shell from 1.1 oz DWR. Might be a bit warmer and it'll keep the UQ from absorbing my body moisture.

Wouldn't want both sides to be 1.1 oz or the quilt would take forever to loft, and forever to dry if any moisture did get inside.
    I always seem to be going against the norm.... but here's my thoughts and why I made my upper and lower quilts the way I did and how they've been working out for me....
    One under quilt with heavy climashield: 1.1oz DWR nylon on both sides... Ended up to heavy for me to carry backpacking, works great for car camping, even though this is non-breathable material, because of all the sewing needle holes, I've not had any problems with air getting in it or out of it (just takes a little longer to pack)
    Both my over quilts, summer & winter are down: 1.1 oz DWR nylon on both sides... no problems with these as far as lofting and compressing down to pack, again just takes a little longer. Did notice condensation on the outside near my face and added a piece of 100% silk on both on the under side next to me. Now both quilts work great.
    Winter under quilt, down: 1.1oz DWR nylon on bottom, 1.1oz nylon breathable on side next to hammock. Differential baffles. Compresses and puffs back up in record time!!! I have to be more careful of the breathable side to not get any water on it if it's raining!!
    I used the non-breathable 1.1oz DWR nylon on my quilts because I'm in a humid climate to try and keep my quilts dryer. It works for me. I've found that when I sew DWR nylon that the holes don't close up so the air can pass through it. I've had water drip onto my upper quilts and puddle up on them, water has not gotten through to my down. Also I've had lots of rain splash up onto the bottom of my under quilts, no problem, just wiped it off in the morning. You are right in if water did manage to get through to the down, it would take a huge amount of time for it to dry in my quilts that are made with DWR nylon on both sides. I always try to handle my quilts with extra care when it's raining and keep them protected and under my tarp. Now humidity is a different story.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just made a quilt using sil on inside and 1.1 with dwr on outside. There are plenty of holes for it to get air.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    That's a great idea Thanks - I have some other ripstop and lots of cattails. I feel a full length UQ in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Here's a thread about my project where I did just that. Plenty of cattails around here, even in early spring. With the cost of shipping though, it cuts into the cost effectiveness of the cattails. You might consider some climashield as a medium cost alternative.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12