Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images

Jarbidge River adjustment mayhem

I'm having quite a time adjusting by AHE Jarbidge River underquilt. The rare time I get it right, I'm toasty if I lay flat on my back and don't dare move. As I'm a restless side/stomach sleeper at home, that's not working so good. If I adjust it too loose, cold spots, and tight enough to eliminate the chill, it walks all over the place if I so much as blink. I've seen AHE's and Shug's quilt videos several times and still not there. I'm thinking the WB XLC I'm using may be contributing to the issue with the storage shelf(which I love and use) and the attached netting keeping me from rigging the lines more creatively. Has anyone had luck modding the "length" adjustment lines, which are only adjustable on one side and not independently in stock formation? Thanks in advance!

How old is your Jarbidge? If it was made before 11 foot hammocks became popular, the shock cord might be a little short for xlc. I spoke with Paul when I tried using mine ony new xlc. I added some shock cord and it helped. Before, the quilt would shoot out from under me when I moved

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Jarbidge works well enough in my dutchware 11', but going to rig up a 4 corner independent suspension and test out the option of asymetric tightening.

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I added attachments to the top center of each side of the jarbidge then attached adjustable shock cord to each that attaches to an s-biner on my ridgeline. This seems to help me keep everything where I need it.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I use a Jarbidge and XLC and have it dialed in.

Trick for my was pinning the JB to the outside shoulder.
    In the pic below I use a combo Dutch Quilt Hook and a Pack Hook, happen to be using on a UGQ Zeppelin but I do the same thing with the Jarbidge.

The Dutch Quilt Hook works just fine by itself. I've found adding a Pack Hook lets the shock cord slide a bit more easily, especially if you are using a thicker shock cord.

At the foot end I use a Triangle Thingie from AHE, or you could use an easy DIY solution that is basically just cordage. That keeps the quilt pulled up around the footbox. Two triangle thingies is also very effective but the one shock cord sometimes was too close to my head so I ditched it at that end and found it worked well enough without it. If you are going to try the triangle thingies, I would start with two and get it setup.

The only other thing I will add is that I used the Jarbidge every day outside for 3 season during my 14 consecutive months sleeping outside. Once you have it setup right, it really is a great quilt. I'd use it from 70 to up 30's and have gone colder and been warm enough.

I'm actually about to my XLC over to the Jarbidge for the rest of this year. I use a lazy slug tube, so once it's attached, it just stays on the XLC until early Winter. I'll snap a few pics and post them up. And I'll dig around a little, see if I can find some old ones.

Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You might try using shock cord to tie on a secondary suspension system like what Hammock Gear uses on all their underquilts. I have a 3/4 quilt and a PLUQ and I move around a lot at night. The quilt stays in place but I have to keep moving back towards the head end to get into place. I think someone already mentioned the secondary suspension and tightening it asymmetrically which will angle the quilt towards the angle you lay on. Works for me. Having said that, I've noticed I get a little air gap when I go into the fetal position on my side. Sometimes you just get cold spots. I also use a small rectangle of closed cell foam about 15x10 inches to help with cold spots. Sometimes it's my foot box, sometimes my butt.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for all the good feedback. I had already stolen Ratdog's Dutch quilt hook idea and I would be totally SOL without that. I think the shock cord may be long enough as I have no problem loosely rigging the quilt. When I have the quilt pretty tight, the bungee digs into my head, which ain't comfy. I have some Dutch quilt hangers to play around with for assymetric tightening. Seems you have to get more creative when dealing with an integrated bugnet

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Just ordered the triangle thingies this weekend.
    For some reason, the jarbidge is snug up against me from my head to my upper thighs, but from there down it sags, making my butt down cold. So half of me is real warm, but the bottom half cold.
    Like ratdog said, i'm going to put the tri thingies on both ends to start, but I have a feeling the one at the foot end will solve my problem. All this on a regular WBBB.
    You mentioned making the suspensions lines independent...I think the tri things do this.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    So I'm gathering you use the tri-thingies in place of the regular suspension, or in conjunction with? I can get my back warm (if I don't move), but the quilt slips off constantly and I get cold side-sleeping. In one of Shug's videos he recommends keeping the suspension line over the footbox, which isn't happening if I have it tight-it slips under the hammock.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    So I'm gathering you use the tri-thingies in place of the regular suspension, or in conjunction with? I can get my back warm (if I don't move), but the quilt slips off constantly and I get cold side-sleeping. In one of Shug's videos he recommends keeping the suspension line over the footbox, which isn't happening if I have it tight-it slips under the hammock.
    OK, so there's a problem right there. When you have it dialed in, the line does run up above the foot over the footbox but it won't slip under the hammock. For sure that means it is too tight.

Often folks will over tighten because they feel cold under the bum or lower back. Thing is, that's usually because there is a gap under that part of the body, not because there is a gap at either end. The quilt absolutely needs to be snug up against the hammock the entire length. If that's not happening, it's time to work the suspension, not cinching the width of the quilt.

The quilt hangers didn't work out for me exactly because I wanted asymmetric adjustment/tightening and the triangle thingies did the trick. Now on longer quilts, I use the quilt hangers alright but on the shorter quilts I like the triangles thingies (or equivalent). YMMV HYOY
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast