Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    LL HabUQ, SSSerTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Post Pad techniques/options

So I completed my first hang (backyard) recently. It was a decent night for it – relatively mild (started out at 53 degrees and was down to about 42 at dawn). No quilts yet so just CCF (I’ve cut it so it’s T shaped) and 20 degree mummy bag. The tarp setup was pretty good…thought it was pretty tight but some minor gusts did push it in towards the hammock. I can see why the tieouts would be good to deploy, at least on the side receiving the wind (I hadn’t bothered).
    Overall I slept well/warm. The pad didn't seem to slide around. The bag slid down on the pad so I'll work on improving some traction there. I noticed a minor chill towards dawn. Getting up to go in the house, I noticed one dime size drop of water on the CCF. The bag didn’t seem to be wet. I’ve got a scout campout coming up this weekend. It’s forecast to be colder at night – upper 20’s/low 30’s and I’m slightly concerned how this current setup will be – warmth and condensation potential. Questions:

How cold have you taken a CCF down to (and what kind of bag or quilt using in conjunction with)?
    Would putting a fleece or wool blanket over the pad help mitigate any condensation?
    Also have a self inflating thermarest pad and reflectix as options too - Worth layering?

Thanks from a noob!

PS - has anyone gotten bruises on their legs from sleeping out? I ended up with on the side of my right knee that night. I suspect my left knee was on it (more of a side sleeper) during the night. Maybe I wasn't off at enough of an angle and was kind of squeezed?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Doubling pads will for sure get you to lower temps.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I gave up on ccf pads and went to underquilts at around 22* F. While condensation was bad at 30* F, it was just intolerable at 22*F with a 0* synthetic sleeping bag.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Fox outfitters
    Tarp
    harbor freight
    Insulation
    down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    web straps
    I was going to get the snugpak UQ but it won't ship in time for my trip. I think I'm going to use my ridgerest and supplement it with some wings for the shoulders and a foot pad by cutting an old yoga mat. I'm 6'4" so the ridge rest is too short and too narrow alone.
    Still debating about buying some reflectix as plan b.
    This is my first hammock trip, so I'm definitely still a noob and looking for advice myself. I've already watched plenty of Shug videos (thx Shug!) and they brought me to this forum.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    A blanket between you and the pad will help with condensation. You can solve sliding down the pad by raising the end you slide towards, I find if my feet are a little higher i stay on my pad

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    LL HabUQ, SSSerTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you all for the input. I was even honored/humbled with a reply from the Lord of Lollygaggin’ himself!

We had our campout this past weekend. Nights were unseasonably cold – upper 20’s the first, about 30 the next (with some gusty polar vortex winds). The first night I went with the CCF and wool blanket under me and 20 degree bag over. I woke up at 12:30 chilly – added a second bag over me and a fleece vest and slept pretty comfortably (just base layers otherwise). The second night we had some gusty winds that changed from NE to NW overnight. I added a second pad into the setup and started with the second bag over me. Again at about 12:30 I got cold but mostly because I hadn’t put the vest back on like I had meant to and the wind was more out of the north, blowing down through the tarp. I think for most of my camping, one pad and maybe a blanket in between should work. I cut my CCF and made a T shape to wrap the shoulders.

Overall, I was pretty comfortable. Right now it’s just car camping with the scouts so bringing extra stuff isn’t really an issue and I can keep tweaking down to what really works. I’ve got a small group backpacking trip in the Adirondacks in August. We’re planning on using a shelter but I’m bringing the hammock for backup. At least I have a pretty good baseline now on where I’m at! Thanks all!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Glad it worked out for you!

• + New Posts