10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Mo, what size ferrules?

Another thought - to prevent pole loss how about small diameter camping poles with the shock cord running through the middle? that way you'd only have two poles but they'd be "broken down" and folded?

Hey NickJ,

I'm still not sure what size ferrules they are. I just ended up getting a couple of extra sets of Clark's replacement poles (found in their store under the "accessories" catergory) and cutting them down to size. I don't have a set of calipers, or similar measuring device, to be able to determine the ferrules' wall thickness. Otherwise, I would have been able to do it myself with needing to but extra pole sets.

As far as the "shock cording" goes, I've been trying to find a nylon sheathed cord that the pole sections will slide into and fit inside. With the ends tied shut, that will keep them all in one spot to prevent loss and speed up set-up and take down, adding only minimal weight.

I tried it with "Paracord"/550 cord, but it's inside diameter is just a little too small for the poles to fit into (once the inner strands are removed). If I could find a cord similar to 550 cord, but just slightly larger in inside diameter, it will work perfectly! Most of the other types of cord I've tried has too loose of an outer sheath "weave", and the poles poke right through the material. The outer sheath of the cord needs to be tightly woven, like the 550 cord is.

Do you have an example of what you're describing? Are they just hollow aluminum/fiberglass poles with the shock cording running through them? How short are the sections, and what is the smallest diameter pole you can find?

The Clark does appear to be dependant on thin diameter, highly flexible poles for it's set-up. Anything too stiff will not work properly. I'm not sure they make poles in that small a diameter (for maximum flexibility) and with the hollow core for shock cording. If you know of a source, I'm all ears, bro!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Mo:
    Go to Academy, if there is one in your town, and look in the camping section where they display the sleeping bags. You should be able to find the replacement tent poles in that section. I have bought several in an attempt to complete a crazy idea that I had about a tarp arch. They come with the shock cord and three sections of poles. They around $5 per replacement pole. I hope this helps.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    OK, back to the top with this thread. Just wanted to let folks know I made it happen!

I successfully modified the poles, and am happy with the results. I shortened them and "encased" them in 3/8 in. poly line from my local West Marine. This modification makes the Clark poles much shorter (to ease packing size) and almost impossible to lose. Shock cording would have been impossible, so I chose to "encase".

I can't give specifics on what type of line/rope I used because I don't know what brand it was or anything. All I can tell you is it is 3/8 inch polyester with a tightly woven outer sheath and removable inner strands. I'll post follow-up details when I find out or if there's any interest...if not, I'll just leave it at that.

I removed the inner strands, pushed the poles inside and tied the ends of the rope to keep the poles from sliding out. I made sure to leave a little "slack" in the cord so the poles could be collapsed/folded down together.

I'll see if I can get some detailed pics of what I did and post them here.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    IMO
    I believe your biggest problem is going to be a reduction in the flexibility of the poles. Yeah, I think they’ll become too ridged, or at the least---the angle\degree of the arch will change. They really should be made of a quality aircraft aluminum. I do know that there are individuals out there that can manufacture replacment set tent poles with UL carbon---strong and UL.

Blessings

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    IMO
    I believe your biggest problem is going to be a reduction in the flexibility of the poles. Yeah, I think they’ll become too ridged, or at the least---the angle\degree of the arch will change. They really should be made of a quality aircraft aluminum. I do know that there are individuals out there that can manufacture replacment set tent poles with UL carbon---strong and UL.

Blessings
    There's no problem with the poles' flexibility or change of angle/arch. They work just fine with the modifications I made. I was concerned about it in the beginning, but now I know it's not an issue at all.

I agree with you, though...It would be nice if Clark used shock-corded aluminum poles and shortened the length, in the first place.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    OK, back to the top with this thread. Just wanted to let folks know I made it happen!

I successfully modified the poles, and am happy with the results. I shortened them and "encased" them in 3/8 in. poly line from my local West Marine. This modification makes the Clark poles much shorter (to ease packing size) and almost impossible to lose. Shock cording would have been impossible, so I chose to "encase".

I can't give specifics on what type of line/rope I used because I don't know what brand it was or anything. All I can tell you is it is 3/8 inch polyester with a tightly woven outer sheath and removable inner strands. I'll post follow-up details when I find out or if there's any interest...if not, I'll just leave it at that.

I removed the inner strands, pushed the poles inside and tied the ends of the rope to keep the poles from sliding out. I made sure to leave a little "slack" in the cord so the poles could be collapsed/folded down together.

I'll see if I can get some detailed pics of what I did and post them here.
    "Encased!" Brilliant!!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    If you can find out what type of line it was you got from West Marine to encase those poles, I would appreciate the info. There is a West Marine right on my way home, and I too am concerned about losing a pole out in the woods.

If the poles were blaze orange it would be tougher to lose them, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of camo, etc.

These guys will make you whatever poles you want.

http://www.polesforyou.com/

Jay

I also have an NX-250, love it, but want to mod the poles, I am watching closely, thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Rain Fly NX
    I had the same issues/concerns with losing poles or just that they stick out so much. I just got my new NX-150 2 days ago and fabricated a pole storage unit from an aluminium tube 19" by 3/4" cut froman old snow/ice scraper I had lying around. I capped off one end witha rubber stopper and am making a cap for the other end. Now i dont have to worry about breaking or losing pole segments and also can either shove it in my pack or strap it to the outside.

Can't wait for my 1st hang next weekend in Keji here in Nova Scotia, should be a blast. I just have to work on my tree strap tying....lol

Note ( The poles do slide all the way down, I just left them out to show the fit in the tube, also added a strip of laminate flooring underlay inside to minimize the sound and movement of poles in tube )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big Tunk; 04-24-2010 at 12:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast