Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    ........ One has to admit that this November has been rather mild for the area...............

Brian
    It has been crazy. My daughter called a day or two ago, from NH, to say it was 71*F. As we spoke, it was 41*F here, in MS, 34*Latitude! 31*F warmer at the same hour and same day in MS than in NH? That seems quite unusual!

At the other extreme, the trailhead at my old stomping grounds in the Wind River Mtns in WY had a high of 6 yesterday with a low of minus 17F. Kind of chilly, but any backpackers got a break today with a huge warmup to 22*F for the high. Makes me wonder what it was up in Canada where it really gets cold! Brrr!
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...n=m&banner=off
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-04-2009 at 20:26.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    cold canadian hammocking -6c LOL. Next week its going down to -15 here in the kootenays ( southern BC ). .
    well i say good for you for getting out there and giving it a go!a lot of Canadians are starting their semi-hibernation right about now.-6c cold? well it's only -2 where i am right now and it is cool if you are not used to it.i have yet to dig up my winter coat and gear as it has been said what a very warm November it has been.now about cold temps-where i live i am right inbetween Lake Erie and Huron but most of my outdoor adventures are where my wife comes from between Timmins and Chapleau where it is very cold in the winter.that said ,to me our -10 is equal to her -25 to our damp cold compared to her dry cold.the dampness in Southern Ontario just chills you right through where as up north i can roll around in the snow all day and just brush it off-all this to say that all temps are not the same regardless of the numbers and to me i'll take the cold north anyday over the warmer south-but -40 is just plain too cold and i don't care who you are!-can anyone relate with the north south cold?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    We were an hour north of Peterborough. Mix of snow and rain. Wet cold is bone chilling. Drying gear infront of a fire IN the rain is challenging...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I grew up in southern ontario, (toronto) and can remember the humidity. When my folks still lived there i would visit from BC and if it was late fall i would freeze, i wasn't use to it anymore. I spent 2 1/2 yrs in the East Kootenays, -35, but would freeze when visiting the toronto winter. My summer cottage was an hr SW of peterborough, Rice Lake. Supertramp is right about the North/South cold but its all what you get used to and there are dangers/discomforts with each. Myself , i can't handle the heat.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    I can well relate to the humidity down here in MS. It definitely makes a huge difference in how both heat and cold feels. I don't know if 20*F at high humidity ( not talking about actually being wet with rain or snow) is actually as much or more dangerous than 0*F at very low humidity. But, the much colder but lower humidity might actually feel better. When I lived in Phoenix, AZ, I always said you felt just great at 110*F whereas you would be miserable at 95 in the humid east. In AZ, because your body's evaporative cooling system worked so great, you felt great right up to where you fell dead of a heat stroke.

But with that humidity, it can be that biting cold, even when it is not all that cold. Even in one locale, like here, where the humidity can vary greatly, you can tell the difference. If it is extremely cold for MS, it is often relatively very dry. Other times it can be much warmer, but feels miserably cold. But sometimes I can not even figure out what the differences are. Sometimes the humidity is high either way, maybe not much wind dif, but th higher temps- say in the 40sF- just feel way cold.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-05-2009 at 14:08.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    One thing i know for sure is i get cold easier than i used to.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    its a miserable tropic start to winter in sounthern Ontario. But the good part is it lets you get more done outdoors without mitts on. Just got my brand new set of General Grabbers studded this weekend with 7MM studs in prep for winter rally on the ice road north of Moosonee.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Good to have ya back in Australia mate. Glad to hear the Tarp held its own. Ready for the fire season?
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt

Pictures from my trip

Just uploaded some pics from the trip. I've tried to limit it to hammock/ shelter pics only
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12