DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Forest Glen, IL TR

Well I have to say that Forest Glen Preserve was a wonderful experience. Being an Illinois park there is no charge for parking or camping. There also is no hunting allowed in the park, so fall trips are ok to do. There is hunting, however, in surrounding areas so we wore orange hats and vests just to be on the safe side.

My son, nephew, brother-in-law and I headed out on Friday a little later then expected. Our arrival was met with the Ranger station closed and the sun starting to set. The decision was made to start further up the trail so we parked at the Sycamore Hollow Center (#4). Fortunately for us, we met up with a couple of ladies who gave us a larger map then the one I printed up. So off into the setting sun we walked. Wasn’t long before the first stream crossing came. While stone stepping in the dark, one of the rocks just slid out and my foot was now full under water. Someone has to be the tester . Up and into the dark we hiked. The moon was so bright that headlamps were hardly needed.

The group campground (#13) was a welcome site to see. It was starting to get cold and camp needed to be set up. Quickly we gathered wood and set up the hammocks and tent. I slipped on some booties and dried my shoes and socks while making dinner. The temps dropped to at least 30* that night. I woke to a beautiful sunny morning. Looking up, I noticed quite a few crows, then more and more. There must have been hundreds of crows flying to a morning meeting. You could hear them calling each other. I forgot to mention that we were the only ones there. The kids were free to run and shout all they wanted. As it turned out, there was a run/race that Saturday. We watched the runners go by while we had breakfast and broke camp.

With the sun shining we set off for the day. All the runners had passed and the trail was quiet. This place is not what I had expected. The hills were pretty steep and there were creek crossings without bridges. We are after all in Illinois. It was great! So my first thought is, “why haven’t I been here before?”. The kids were really digging it too. Not quite sure how the runners didn’t kill themselves in a few places. Along the way was the Observation Tower (#7). Up to the top we went to enjoy a great view on a beautiful day. As it turns out it was the only place we saw anyone on the trail. The rest of the time we didn’t run into another soul..

We had our pick of sites at the East Camp (#16). Set up camp and I hiked back down for water. It was also nice that water was plentiful. We never had to carry extra. I awoke to the same crow party. They seemed closer this time so I hiked through the woods and found huge groups of them gathering for a social event. It’s one of those mornings that sticks with you for a while.

That day we hiked the rest of our way back to the car. The weather had changed and it started to rain towards the end. We ran into the Ranger who had by now left a message with my wife that our car was abandoned and may be towed. In our haste to get out on the trail, I forgot my phone and didn’t even think of leaving a note on the dash. He was pretty cool about it and explained his concern for our safety.

I can’t wait to go back for another weekend trip. Being that the campsites are not far in distance it’s perfect for the kids. The scenery is diverse enough to keep it interesting. The boys could have spent more time exploring ravines and playing in the creeks. The summer will provide more daylight for that. I enjoyed spending two nights out hanging in the hammock and spending the time with family. Coming from the Chicago metro area it’s hard to find places to backpack without driving far. I would like to see this place in different seasons, although the trail could be quite treacherous with ice and snow.

If you’re close to this area and need a outdoor fix, this is a place to go for a weekend trip.

Here are some picks of the trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GeorgeG6...JqJxu-SooKNbg#

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey, looks like everyone had a good time out there! Enjoyed the pictures! Thanks!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Great trip report - thanks for sharing. Looks like the kids had a great time playing along the way. That's what it's all about.

What kind of tree had the long thorns?

Jay

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's the kind of tree you will never climb . The thorns went all the way to the top. Don't know what it is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Nice trip Oms. Where is this place located?

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Central Illinois near Danville. Borders Indiana

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    hey Oms--
    Forest Glen is 45 minutes from me. I've been there a bunch of times, it is great nugget. Hike the 11 mile backtracking trail and you'll forget that you're in Illinois! Sounds like you did the East 7 miles of it.

On your hike, about a mile from the East Camp, at one point you encountered a steep hill down into a ravine where someone thoughtfully had embedded steps...6x6 timbers with holes through which rebar had been pounded. That was my son's Eagle Scout project.

The one downside to FG is that in the "normal" campground they prohibit hanging anything from trees. They might throughout the preserve too, but the rangers aren't found around the two group sites, and that's where I've hung.

Gimme a shout when you're thinking of going there again, and maybe I can russle up a couple of sons too.

cheers

Grizz

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Griz let your son know they did a fine job. We probably would have had to slide down on our butt if the steps weren't there. There were some slick spots along the way after the runners came through. I'll probably head back some time in the spring. I'll let you know. I'm guessing Animalcontrol is pretty close as well. I would like to see some of your DIY projects.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thanks for the info

Great to see some pics and info on IL hiking locations. I’m finally, two weeks out from leaving Los Angeles and moving to Valparaiso, IN (about an hour from Chicago) and, in comparison to LA, I’ve had a tough time finding information on hiking in NWI and the surrounding areas like IL, and MI.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SBreckenridge View Post
    Great to see some pics and info on IL hiking locations. I’m finally, two weeks out from leaving Los Angeles and moving to Valparaiso, IN (about an hour from Chicago) and, in comparison to LA, I’ve had a tough time finding information on hiking in NWI and the surrounding areas like IL, and MI.
    here's a link to Forest Glen.
    Welcome to the mid-West

Grizz

• + New Posts