Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Blackbird XLC double layer = pad between layers?

There was a plan: first upgrade my top insulation, then upgrade my tarp (superfly) then upgrade my under insulation from Super Shelter to an underquilt, then, finally, swap out my Hennessy for a Blackbird XLC.

Well all that went up in smoke, literally, last weekend in an apartment fire, so I'm trying to figure out how little I can get away with and keep my camping schedule intact.

I know that some double layer hammocks let you slide a pad between layers for insulation. I can't see any information on whether that is an option with the Blackbird XLC. If so, it would mean a fairly cheap way to supply some under insulation. In my Hennessy, trying to lay on top of a pad in the hammock was difficult, but if I could slip it between the layers, then a cheap, foam pad could keep me warm underneath, and almost anything would work for the top. If it doesn't work that way, then I have to scare up money for an underquilt and a hammock. Not impossible, but tricky within the time I have.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    sorry to hear of the fire. Insurance help with replacements? I'm pretty sure any Blackbird, DL, accepts a pad. I have two old styles BB and they both can have a pad slipped in. I'm pretty sure my XLC does also, but I've not done it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    sorry to hear of the fire. Insurance help with replacements? I'm pretty sure any Blackbird, DL, accepts a pad. I have two old styles BB and they both can have a pad slipped in. I'm pretty sure my XLC does also, but I've not done it.
    That's great to hear. Insurance should cover everything eventually, but it's a long process that we haven't really started on yet. So in the mean time I'm trying to find the cheapest way forward that doesn't involve buying a lot of sub-standard equipment that I won't have use for later. I figure for the mild temps I'll encounter in May and June, a cheap, foam pad between the layers will do the job, and give me until fall to get a real underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Sorry about the fire. Can't image what that is like.

I have a BB DL 1.1. It does indeed accept the pad between the layers and all-in-all it works well as designed. The pad stays put and to be frank, if I didn't know it was there I wouldn't know it was there. (Yogi Bera said that once I believe). I am using a CCF and while it does an admirable job at squelching cold butt, I am finding it to be too narrow. If I don't spring for an UQ I'll modify the CCF to have some wings to provide shoulder coverage. Good luck !!

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Sorry about the fire. Can't image what that is like.

I have a BB DL 1.1. It does indeed accept the pad between the layers and all-in-all it works well as designed. The pad stays put and to be frank, if I didn't know it was there I wouldn't know it was there. (Yogi Bera said that once I believe). I am using a CCF and while it does an admirable job at squelching cold butt, I am finding it to be too narrow. If I don't spring for an UQ I'll modify the CCF to have some wings to provide shoulder coverage. Good luck !!

Thank you. Since posting this, I found some other posts by XLC owners who seem to be using a pad between the layers, too. I think it's the way to go. XLC plus pad plus cheap blanket (I'm on a bike, not hiking, so I don't need the lightest stuff available). That should keep me hanging until I get some real insulation.

Now I just need to work on my presentation on why a hammock and tarp are essential enough to take precedent when diving up our limited refurnishing budget. I know I don't need to convince this crew, but my wife may be a harder sell. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    LOL... Good luck there!

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    LOL... Good luck there!
    Somehow we did a massive shopping expedition, replacing most of the essentials without breaking the bank. So new hammock is now on order, and my camping trip is back on. I just need to find some top insulation that won't break the bank, and I should be good to go.

Hammock
    dutch hexon 1.0 dl
    Tarp
    warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    hg uq. llg tq.
    Suspension
    amsteel.
    sorry to hear about the fire...gossamer gear sells a hammock-specific pad - the "thinlight hammock foam pad" (0.25” x 3' 3” x 4' 11”). like you, it's what i'm planning on using for summer months.

How wide/long of a pad can you use on a xlc?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.V.3 View Post
    sorry to hear about the fire...gossamer gear sells a hammock-specific pad - the "thinlight hammock foam pad" (0.25” x 3' 3” x 4' 11”). like you, it's what i'm planning on using for summer months.
    Thanks for that tip. Of course it's like 5 times more than the Walmart pad I was going to buy, but it's also about 5 times less than the underquilt that I am putting off buying for the moment. So maybe that's a good balance. At any rate, I'll give that a try.

That just leaves me to find a cheap, top quilt replacement, and I'll be set. I think I have a contender on Amazon. I may be hanging again before you know it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast