Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images

WBBB XLC Top cover

Gents, and Gentleladies:
    I am almost certain to purchase the Warbonnet's BB XLC. I am curious about the top cover. I am almost totally "IN" on purchasing the XLC, but alas, I must inquire the group, or whomever is out there about the top cover. It is $75.00 and I don't think I will use it much. More consideration I put there because it is not available for purchase afterward. My question is out of the people whom have purchased the top cover, do you feel it was a good investment, and why? Or do you regret it because you don't use it? I have heard of the condensation issues, and I don't feel like tackling those issues, if possible, if I can just beef up the insulation. Any thought would be appreciated, because I try to make sure about the investment, As I don't have disposable income. The reason I add that, is because If I had a lot of cash., I would just buy it, to go with the set up, even if I didn't use it that much. [that sounds bad now that I have said it, but, I believe it to be truth].

Benson Burner

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I bought an XLC and didn't add on the top cover. I read about issues with condensation and don't have enough winter here in Georgia to legitimize it.

If I need extra insulation like last January and February when it was 10-15 degrees at night, I would lay a U.S. military poncho-liner over the bug net outside the hammock. It has sewn in tie outs that you can use to secure it around the hammock. The underliner will raise the temperature inside the hammock by about 10 degrees. I bought it for $20 off Amazon and use it all the time. One of my favorite pieces of equipment. Zero condensation issues with the poncho-liner and you can also pull it inside the hammock for extra insulation if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Carl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I haven't bought an XLC, but when I do, it will be with the top cover. In fact, the addition of the top cover is what tips the scales for me from a regular BB. I had an Hennessy and bought the over cover. Although it's not common for me to need/want the overcover, when I do want it, I have it, and I've used it a number of times. It gave me a couple extra degrees of warmth when it was cold, and it's lighter and less obtrusive than whatever else I might bring for that purpose.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Me personally I like the top cover better than the bug net, never had condensation issues, I guess its cause I learned not to wet the hammock lol, that being said I only used it a hand full of times last year, would suggest if you go in the snow get the top cover fosho. (for sure). And it's not like you can get it later if you change your mind since It is made to fit.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I bought an XLC and didn't add on the top cover. I read about issues with condensation and don't have enough winter here in Georgia to legitimize it.

If I need extra insulation like last January and February when it was 10-15 degrees at night, I would lay a U.S. military poncho-liner over the bug net outside the hammock. It has sewn in tie outs that you can use to secure it around the hammock. The underliner will raise the temperature inside the hammock by about 10 degrees. I bought it for $20 off Amazon and use it all the time. One of my favorite pieces of equipment. Zero condensation issues with the poncho-liner and you can also pull it inside the hammock for extra insulation if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Carl
    Thanks Cneil13

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used the winter top cover on every winter trip where temps were 30's and below and it really helped to keep my upper body and face warm. I had a huge condensation problem and got snowed on in side when I tried to get out the next morning but it was totally worth it.

I tried to use it again last weekend when it was 60's and got down to 38 and thought it was too hot and was wishing I had the bug netting on. So it does make a huge difference in temp and comfort.

The price point is a little high but if you're serious about hammock camping in cold weather I would highly recommend getting that winter top cover. You won't be disappointed.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I have it and am glad I do. I have condensation issues in a two person BP tent but not with my XLC winter cover on, that actually baffles me a bit. Mine is the multicam though and it seems to breathe pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KdawgCrazy View Post
    I used the winter top cover on every winter trip where temps were 30's and below and it really helped to keep my upper body and face warm. I had a huge condensation problem and got snowed on in side when I tried to get out the next morning but it was totally worth it.

I tried to use it again last weekend when it was 60's and got down to 38 and thought it was too hot and was wishing I had the bug netting on. So it does make a huge difference in temp and comfort.

The price point is a little high but if you're serious about hammock camping in cold weather I would highly recommend getting that winter top cover. You won't be disappointed.
    Wait a minute, so, some people use the top cover in lieu of a tarp??

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

WBBB XLC Top cover

I think he meant the condensation froze and snowed in the microclimate. Tarpless would not end well if it rained/snowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Wait a minute, so, some people use the top cover in lieu of a tarp??
    No that won't work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast