Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    This sums it up for me right here. I enjoy the fiddle. Sucks a little after when you reach camp after dark and the wind is gusting and it's below freezing, but other than that I don't mind it. I like playing around with my setup. That is one of the joys.

Additionally, I didn't rediscover backpacking until I had already converted to hammocks, so I don't have much of a point of reference. When I backpacked back in my teens (42 yrs old now), things were much different.

Namtrag, as mentioned by others though, you will get faster at it. You may want to look at something like a bonefire whisper if setup time is one of your main concerns. I know I am intrigued by it, and if I didn't already have a bazillion hammocks I'd get one. Good luck, and happy hanging.
    I don't think we mind the fiddling to get it comfortable, I think it's more for me a fear of not being able to get the hammocks set up in adverse conditions, which are sure to happen at some point! It is a lot of fun to mess around with, and the comfort can't be beat!

Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    you coming to mahha?
    No, we will be going about an hour away to Merchants Millpond to the Fat Butt Hang with Gunner76 and the gang. They were the ones that preached us the Gospel last fall and converted us! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Practice, practice, practice and then practice more..... The great part is in the woods your not punching a timer and your out there to be out there. Each trip counts as practice too.
    Thanks, and we will! We are going to figure out a backyard setup so we can practice out there on weekends!

Hammock
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    If you want to really compare the time it takes to set up, get a new tent that's not a tarptent and see how long this would take.

Since hammocks are new to you, it won't be as fast as something you're already used to. After a season or two, you will be a pro. Just understand learning something new takes time, like the tent did when you first got it. Then, you'll ask yourself what to do with the extra 5 minutes you have after setting up your hammock
    True, a Tarptent is a lot faster than a tent with poles that you have to assemble and slide through loops, then put on the fly. We will get better, just have to not be afraid to take the hammocks on trips, and take trips with fairly low daily mileages that leave us plenty of time to set up and dial things in.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Man, I remember when I was first setting up my tarp/hammock...took me an hour to get it right. Practice makes perfect. Finding the right spot now takes longer than actually putting up the gear. I also learned quickly to keep my tarp on the outside of my pack and hang it first. Lot's easier to hang the hammock out of the rain in bad weather if the tarp is up first.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Yeah, we will be keeping our tarp in a side pocket, and definitely will hang it first...just seems like a good habit to be in for when the rainy times come!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You can challenge yourself anytime you want in your backyard. Put a sprinkler on the roof and make it rain. Then, setup many times until you're comfortable setting up and staying dry. Also, due this at night.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Put a sprinkler on the roof and make it rain. Then, setup many times until you're comfortable setting up and staying dry. Also, due this at night.
    I can only imagine the crazy looks you get from your neighbors!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    It gets easier believe me..and before you know it you can even set it up in the dark.:0) Enjoy
    Turk3

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use Dutch Whoopie Hooks for hammock suspension - you can't get an easier suspension. Doesn't matter if you hang the tarp first, or hang the hammock first (my preference). I have Dutch bling for my continuous ridgeline, and my quilts just clip onto the hammock suspension. If I really stretch it out, talking and such, it might take me 15 minutes, but usually maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

The biggest waste of time is staking out the tarp. Boy, have I learned a lot about cold weather camping. Did you know the ground can freeze? I didn't. I now bring a hammer for my tent stakes when the ground will be hard.

Another stupid thing I've done is sweep the snow away from under my tarp. However, the snow is insulating the ground and if you sweep it off your stakes will freeze in the ground. Better to leave some snow on the ground so it doesn't freeze.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12