WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies

Zion: Lava Point

Heading out in July. Any suggestions about hanging in this area? What to see and what I can pass on?

Thanks in advance.

Happy trails!!

I've had good luck with some free camping a couple miles outside of the SouthWest entrance to the park. Go North from hwy 9 at the town of Virgin. I found trees near the creek for hanging. There are several short dirt roads that allow creek access around there. But you need to leave yourself a little time to find a site that is right for a hammock. This makes a good camp the night before a Zion hike.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ - DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Zion is an amazing area. On our last trip to US from Oz I got to see my first real camping hammock suspended at the Springdale campground just outside the NP entrance. I was a total noob then and new nothing about hammocking. I don't know a lot more now but I think what I saw was an ENO. I don't know if you are allowed to hang there and when we visited the park was busy but no one seemed too worried.

Cheers
    Col "The Hammer"

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Drop me a PM I'm interested

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Two trails Wildcat and West rim. Lava point 6 sites elevation 7890 no water pit toilet.

This campground is typically open June through October, as weather allows. In 2014, Lava Point Campground opened on May 5. Situated at 7890 feet above sea level, it is off the Kolob Terrace Road, 25 miles (45 minutes) north of the town of Virgin. It takes approximately one hour and 20 minutes to drive to the campground from the South Entrance of Zion Canyon.

There are 6 primitive campsites available first-come, first-served, pit toilets, and trash cans, but no water. Vehicles longer than 19 feet are not permitted on the road to the campground. There is no charge for camping.

During the Spring and Fall, weather conditions can change rapidly along the Kolob Terrace Road that leads to the Lava Point Campground. Check here for Road Conditions.
    Last edited by arczeneb; 04-25-2016 at 19:25.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    I've had good luck with some free camping a couple miles outside of the SouthWest entrance to the park. Go North from hwy 9 at the town of Virgin. I found trees near the creek for hanging. There are several short dirt roads that allow creek access around there. But you need to leave yourself a little time to find a site that is right for a hammock. This makes a good camp the night before a Zion hike.
    Thanks!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by arczeneb View Post
    Drop me a PM I'm interested

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Two trails Wildcat and West rim. Lava point 6 sites elevation 7890 no water pit toilet.

This campground is typically open June through October, as weather allows. In 2014, Lava Point Campground opened on May 5. Situated at 7890 feet above sea level, it is off the Kolob Terrace Road, 25 miles (45 minutes) north of the town of Virgin. It takes approximately one hour and 20 minutes to drive to the campground from the South Entrance of Zion Canyon.

There are 6 primitive campsites available first-come, first-served, pit toilets, and trash cans, but no water. Vehicles longer than 19 feet are not permitted on the road to the campground. There is no charge for camping.

During the Spring and Fall, weather conditions can change rapidly along the Kolob Terrace Road that leads to the Lava Point Campground. Check here for Road Conditions.
    Will do!

• + New Posts