Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mine is 55" wide. I recently made one for a friend that is 72". I didn't find it to be more comfortable at all. In fact, the extra material was a little annoying. I'm only 5' 9" though. I imagine it would be different for a taller person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I currently own two hammocks. The first is my old trusty Trek Light Double which is 10ft X 72 wide. Super comfy, but the floppy edges are a little troublesome. Not troublesome enough to part with it. I added some DIY knotty mods that helped a bit. My second, and favorite hammock is a 11 ft X 64 Hammeck Breezy. I'm 5'5" and I love the longer wider hammock. I've tried several hammocks 60 wide or less and didn't care for them. Hammock length and width are really a personal preference thing and also how you use them.....backpacker, boater, car camper. That influences the style of hammock you use.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started my hammocking life with an ENO Junglenest @ 112"x57". Right as Dutch launched his Hexon W 1.6, I scooped one up and never bothered to get back in the ENO. A month later, I returned the ENO and bought another Hexon W 1.6 hammock from Dutch. I don't have any backpacking, hiking, or even much hammocking experience, but for what I've got to compare it to, the Dutchware Hexon Wide is lightyears beyond the mass market retail offerings in quality, comfort, and space. I home-hang and car-camp, so the weight tax doesn't really apply to me. Some might find the extra fabric a bit floppy or annoying, but I've got Dual Knotty mods that mitigate floppage, so no complaints here! If I ever really get seriously into hiking and want to slim down my carry, I might migrate to a Hexon 1.0 in the standard size, but it's not a priority. Only downfall of the wide fabric from my perspective is, there's a slightly more impeded view. Again, hanging at home, the view from my nest isn't spectacular anyhow. Thinking about hanging a beach poster on my ceiling though.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I started out with a ENO Double Nest (Wide but short). I've since moved to more narrow 11' hammocks, my favorite being a Dutch PolyD 1.4. It was a bit of an adjustment at first as it felt like I was really pushing the edges of the fabric at my height of 6'1" but I've come to really appreciate the view. The knotty mods became necessary with the more narrow fabric so my quilts don't fall out. I never had that problem with the wider fabric as it sort of envelopes everything. Of the two, I'd take the 60" wide, 11' hammock any day of the week. Now that I've tried some short wide hammocks and some narrow long hammocks I may try an 11' Dutch Hexon 1.6 in the wide fabric and see how that goes. My guess is that it will be the most comfortable, forgiving sweet spot of any hammock I've tried to date, but I'll pay for it with a bit of extra weight and the loss of a view. I might be okay with that in certain situations but it won't be a backpacking hammock for me. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    im 5'8" 210, with broad shoulders, and find a 60 x 126 tablecloth hammock to be just about right, without having too much fabric flopping in my face.

I use a 78 inch wide hammock and love it. I tried a narrower version and my feet keep falling off the side. I might try the 72 but I'd be losing 6 inches.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    5'4" <150. Other than allowing for a slightly wider variety of positions, I haven't found any great benefit to a wider hammock. Since I already made it I'll continue to use it at home, but I'll never backpack with it. I don't have anything negative to say about it, but no point to carry extra weight/volume if there's no benefit.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe mine is a 72" wide. I would take 2-4" off if doing it again for two reasons.
    You can only angle to a point before the under quilt no longer covers well.
    I also find there is a bit of extra material which hangs loose near the face and it makes it difficult to see out.
    I'm 6' with a medium build. I guess it would just be tweaking it with a change. Another reason to try something new in the future

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The only concern I'd have is with the hammock so wide, it is easy to get such and extreme diagonal that keeping coverage with an UQ could be a challenge.

At 6'6" I love my 72" x11'. It's my go to- go everywhere. I've got several 60" x11-13' hammocks. They are not uncomfortable, but the 72" fits my frame better.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast