Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Also, this may seem like a silly question, but do I have to get a rain fly tarp from warbonnet to work with a warbonnet hammock ?

yep.
    so basically as others have said, xlc is basically a longer hammock (i think 11 ft vs 10 ft). also the bugnet is completely removable on the xlc, and you can attach a winter top cover for more warmth in its place.
    however even on the original blackbird, there is a built-in fabric tie that you can use to get the bugnet folded up nicely and out of your way if you're just chilling out and there aren't any bugs.

the 1.7 vs 1.1 refers to the material in ounces... presumably ounces per some unit of area. does 1.7oz mean 1.7oz per... square foot? anyone know? lol
    their 1.7oz is a 70D nylon (where D is denier), while their 1.1oz is 30D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_...urement#Denier
    basically the 1.7 is thicker and more durable but heavier.

double layer means there is an extra layer of fabric on the bottom to slip a pad in between (helps keep it in place better so it doesn't shift around on you).
    if you don't anticipate sleeping in temps colder than 60-70 or so, then you might get singer layer to save weight.
    also, if you sleep in the cold but opt to use an underquilt instead of a pad, then you also do not need double layer.
    however, if there is any chance that you think you might use a pad, then double layer is nice. also some people think that having the double layer under you gives your back some level of mosquito protection if you're sleeping without a pad or underquilt.

read that hammocks-101 page on their site (i linked to it previously in this thread) for more good recommendations if you can't figure out what to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikwoiuh View Post
    Also, this may seem like a silly question, but do I have to get a rain fly tarp from warbonnet to work with a warbonnet hammock ?
    nope, you don't need to get a warbonnet tarp for a warbonnet hammock. obviously you will want some tarp to protect yourself from rain.
    you just need to make sure that it is long/wide enough for your purposes.

there are some general tarp designs/geometries depending on how much protection you want and how light you're trying to make your gear.

-- there are your basic slim tarps that kind of just barely cover you from the rain.
    -- then there are hex tarps that are a bit wider and give you more protection from wind+rain (which can hit you from the side). also the extra material gives you some shelter for when you're sitting on your hammock like a chair or sitting next to it for hanging out with a buddy, cooking, doing other tasks, etc.
    -- then there are 'shelter' tarps that can be like hex tarps with added material serving as doors. with these, you can get completely sealed up for really good rain and wind protection.
    if it's not storming hardcore, you can have the doors open. that extra tarp size can also come in handy for sun shade, and you get more coverage when you set it up in 'porch mode'.
    an example of this kind of hammock is the warbonnet superfly.

try google image searching things like 'superfly tarp' and 'superfly tarp porch mode' to get an idea of different configurations you use

also, i just wanted to say that i'm 5'10" and just picked up a 1.7 double layer xlc with superfly tarp.
    i am going to be using a klymit insulated static v luxe sleeping pad
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLYMIT-Insul...-/221973400091
    i'm just waiting for some guyline for my tarp and other goodies to come in the mail!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    I think I [posted the same thing a few weeks ago. these members have terrific information. I bought the XLC. It is heavenly. I don't have experience with the standard, but, am sure it is nice
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    I'm 4'11" and even at that meager height, Brandon convinced me to go for the XLC over the standard BB. I'm so glad he did! Several years after getting my XLC, my teenager got a standard Blackbird and I was shocked when I tried hers out...it was so much less spacious. I'm glad I went with the XLC. Even if you're short, it's still noticeably more comfortable!
    Yes, the BB is shorter and less spacious than the XLC, but at your size, do you really *feel* a noticeable difference in comfort - with closed eyes? I'm 5'4" and own the standard BB plus many other hammocks in different sizes up to 14'. While I appreciate the added space of an 11' hammock, I can't really tell the difference between a 10.5' and an 11' hammock. And the BB is still one of my most comfortable hammocks. And it's certainly the most comfortable hammock I have ever tried that I want to take hiking

@Sikwoiuh: if you don't have the opportunity to try out both models at a hang, you could order both, try them out and return the one you like less. If you only want to order one, I'd say go with the XLC. At your size the chances are good that you will prefer it over the standard version.

Thank you everyone so much for all the helpful information, it's greatly appreciated. I have another question regarding the sleeping pad. Is it really necessary for comfort? I've never heard of any other hammocks using a sleeping pad. Or is it mostly for warmth rather than comfort? It seems like new expensive items keep coming up, is it really a necessity? Or is it just highly recommended?

pads and underquilts provide effective insulation below you for warmth.

if you try to just sleep in a sleeping bag in your hammock, the material between you and the hammock gets compressed by your weight, and air below the hammock will make your back pretty cold.
    if you are sleeping on a warm summer night, then you don't need the non-compressible insulation below you that pads and UQs provide.

people say you need a pad or UQ at temps below 60-70F or so depending on personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by yancha View Post
    pads and underquilts provide effective insulation below you for warmth.

if you try to just sleep in a sleeping bag in your hammock, the material between you and the hammock gets compressed by your weight, and air below the hammock will make your back pretty cold.
    if you are sleeping on a warm summer night, then you don't need the non-compressible insulation below you that pads and UQs provide.

people say you need a pad or UQ at temps below 60-70F or so depending on personal preference.
    thank you, that's good to know. is there a sleeping pad you would recommend that is reasonable in price?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Someone just recommended this one to me: http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-hammock-pad.html

I haven't tried it yet. It's in the mail, along with my XLC. When talking under insulation, there's a whole section of the forum dedicated to it, and it's not really specific to any hammock. I will say that while I haven't tried an underquilt, it's the way I'd want to go. I'm only trying this pad out because I need to replace a lot of gear in a hurry and for less money than a full underquilt/overquilt set up. And even then I might not try the pad if I wasn't getting the double-layer, where the pad slides in between the layers. When I had to deal with a pad in the hammock with me, it did not work well for me. But others have had more success. I had a Hennessy with an under-insulation set up, and it was far, far better than using a pad. I think and underquilt will be better yet, and if I wasn't crunched for money and time, I would have gone with that from the start.

The cheap pad I originally tried, way back when, before switching to the Super Shelter, was the Ozark Trail from Walmart, I think. It's wider than the average pad, which can make it easier to use in the hammock. There's lots info on making a pad work in the Under Insulation section. https://hammockforums.net/forum/foru...tom-Insulation

And I can't add any experience to the BB XLC vs. BB debate, other than the experience I bring from my other hammock. I had the overcover for my Hennessy, and it was really nice to have on those nights where it was cold enough to use it. When I saw the XLC came with an optional top cover and the standard did not, I was pretty much convinced. Add to that the fact that I think my dog and I might lay out in the hammock at some point, I knew the extra room and weight capacity would come in handy.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikwoiuh View Post
    thank you, that's good to know. is there a sleeping pad you would recommend that is reasonable in price?
    You could use just what you have from tenting. If you don't have any pads, you might think about getting an underquilt right away. Yes, pads work. But they're a pain in the neck to use. I would rather get a cheap synthetic underquilt like a Kick A$$. But if you want to try a pad first, get a cheap foam pad (e.g. from Walmart).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast