Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

My cold weather story

Last weekend I spent two days at close to 4800 ft. Yeah It was cold I was using my WBBB & SF with the doors. For bottom insulation I had my new KAQ LR, SPE with a old school orange 1" Thermarest, and a DriDucks poncho undercover. On the top I had my Montbell ULSS #2. The first night it hit 21. I was sleeping in my polypro base layer, rain pants, windshirt & softshell jacket. I also used my OR Ninjaclava. I stayed warm all night. My legs got cold if I slipped off the pad, but my upper body stayed toasty warm all night. The second night it hit 14. It was FREAKING cold! using the same gear I used the first night, I was fine till I woke up when nature called. I was still warm where the UQ covered me, but my legs were cold. I brought along a piece of CCF to use under my legs if needed. It really helped and soon I was back asleep. Just so you know, I'm a VERY warm sleeper. My girlfriend says I'm like sleeping next to a furnace I honestly believe I would have been just fine with just the UQ (from Paul at AHE!!!) the first night. Along with leg insulation that is...
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Good to hear your report. I am curious to see how low my WBBB, Superfly, 3 season Yeti w/reflective liner will take me. I too am a warm sleeper. Curious to know if you had the doors on the Superfly during your outing?
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Good to hear your report. I am curious to see how low my WBBB, Superfly, 3 season Yeti w/reflective liner will take me. I too am a warm sleeper. Curious to know if you had the doors on the Superfly during your outing?
    Yes I did. The wind was blowing pretty good the first night, and the Superfly did awesome! I just left them on the second night because I knew it would be even colder, and hoped that it might hold in just a bit more heat. I'd post up some pics, but my camera is over at the GF's house...
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Optimator. Glad the Lost River did so well for you. I want to see some pics when you get done rearanging everything man 14 wow that is cool I really want to get out for a winter trip this year, been to long since I got in some deep winter snow camping. Like since before I got married. Hmmm must be some sort of conection there. O well I will try for a winter trip in January and call it my birthday/ turning 30/ pre mid life crissis prevention trip. Yah right like that will work
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I honestly believe I would have been just fine with just the UQ...
    I believe you are correct. I was toasty with my KAQ and a Thermodrape vapor barrier, fully clothed, at 16*F. It doesn't take much to extend the range of a KAQ!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Last weekend I spent two days at close to 4800 ft. Yeah It was cold I was using my WBBB & SF with the doors. For bottom insulation I had my new KAQ LR, SPE with a old school orange 1" Thermarest, and a DriDucks poncho undercover. On the top I had my Montbell ULSS #2. The first night it hit 21. I was sleeping in my polypro base layer, rain pants, windshirt & softshell jacket. I also used my OR Ninjaclava. I stayed warm all night. My legs got cold if I slipped off the pad, but my upper body stayed toasty warm all night. The second night it hit 14. It was FREAKING cold! using the same gear I used the first night, I was fine till I woke up when nature called. I was still warm where the UQ covered me, but my legs were cold. I brought along a piece of CCF to use under my legs if needed. It really helped and soon I was back asleep. Just so you know, I'm a VERY warm sleeper. My girlfriend says I'm like sleeping next to a furnace I honestly believe I would have been just fine with just the UQ (from Paul at AHE!!!) the first night. Along with leg insulation that is...
    I'm not sure I understand your exact set up. Is this a torso or full length UQ? Was the orange pad full length? Your legs got cold 1st night if you slipped off the pad, is that because this is a short quilt? The 2nd night though, your legs were cold period, even though still on the pad, until you added more ccf pad?

Images
    OK, never mind, I went to the AHE site and see that the LR is 2/3 length. So the 2nd night, your legs were cold, even though on a 1" orange TR. Interesting, I might have used the same pad for legs ( a 1" thick UL TR), and thought it might have been good to those temps, but maybe not. I'd better test!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    All I can say is ...BRRRR!!!!
    KM

• + New Posts