Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I got the Dutchware poles for my Superfly, and just created some tied loops so I could dial-in the size. Actually I asked Dutch about it and he said "It comes with 2 poles. The loops you have to make yourself but any string or shock cord will work. The size of the loop depends on how you pitch your tarp. Many people go with six inches." I never circled back to try other sizes or create dog bones. It works well and is very roomy as others have said.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. when using the poles, you can see in many of the photos that the pole rests on the top of the tarp. I've tried different tarp suspension methods, and prefer the separate lines using Dutch Flyz from each end of the tarp, but for my superfly, I' use a continuous ridgeline (see Dutch or the Ultimate Hang if necessary) and the poles sit on the ridgeline instead of the tarp. It probably isn't a concern, but I'd prefer if the tarp was not rubbing against the poles if possible. My continuous ridgeline uses a dutch hook on one end and wasp on the other, which I think Dutch sells as a kit with soft shackles here: http://www.dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html Sorry I don't have a photo of the setup - I think it's better for the poles to held above the tarp.

I've been meaning to try this on my Hammock Gear Standard Cuben tarp, although I'm not sure I would add the extra weight of the poles on a backpack. On a car camp I am likely to use the Superfly anyway.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie8 View Post
    I have to say, going out when it is so cold your breath freezes............ doesn't appeal to me, yet..........
    I actually am curious, why some of you like this.........
    It is a long winter here so it is camp or don't camp.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & mule tape
    First time poster here...so I hope I am doing this right.

I recently had my OES MacCat Deluxe modified by 2QZQ and I am VERY happy with the results. Excellent customer service and very fine craftsmanship. Donna sewed on doors and did a pole mod and the tarp is a new, more robust shelter. I tested it out pitched to the ground until I can get into the wood.

IMG_1495.jpg

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    May I ask where you got that pole? I modified my MacCat Deluxe similarly, but the tent pole I used is so stiff, it would not bend that far (that good). I've yet to find light-weight flexible poles aftermarket. The poles I got are Easton .344 aluminum. Too stiff for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by ExploreUrWorld View Post
    I recently had my OES MacCat Deluxe modified by 2QZQ and I am VERY happy with the results. Excellent customer service and very fine craftsmanship. Donna sewed on doors and did a pole mod and the tarp is a new, more robust shelter. I tested it out pitched to the ground until I can get into the wood.

IMG_1495.jpg
    Last edited by Rain Man; 05-06-2016 at 10:21.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Rainman, your easton 0344 poles should bend that much as well, mine do. at first i thought they were gonna snap but they did not, good luck

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    There are other types of poles you can use for your pole mod.

I use my hiking poles over my RL. They are connected to short guy lines. A prussic knot is larksheaded to pull outs to adjust the lines.
    IMG_0321 copy.jpg IMG_0319 copy.jpg
    I didn't actually have to mod anything except put a different guy line to the pullouts. That and the RL is over the tarp to keep from damaging the tarp. If I'm in porch mode, I can easily put the tarp over the RL for roof support.
    DSCF0019.jpg
    But it isn't necessary to do that either.
    IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0371 copy.jpg
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    It's not just the pole, it's the tarp won't bend the pole that far. I could tie a cord from end-to-end of the pole and cinch it tight and the pole would be bent, but then the cord would run right through the middle of my hammock or there about.

I actually had to do that once when I had to go to the ground on someone's lawn, but then I didn't use the hammock. I ran the cord under my sleeping pad that time. Otherwise, the tarp would have been so low to the ground, I couldn't have even crawled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Rain Man, your easton 0344 poles should bend that much as well, mine do. at first i thought they were gonna snap but they did not, good luck
    BTW, for those wanting to know how I attached my retro-fit tent pole, here is the end result. I sectioned-together a pole to be a little longer than the MacCat Deluxe is wide, the cannibalized two short pieces of strap with metal grommets (from my Old Man Winter rainfly) and sewed on short pieces of elastic webbing. Keeps the MacCat taunt much better than the sleeve/pocket system I tried first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 05-07-2016 at 16:07.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    MacCat or Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I went with hiking poles, after I had reluctantly started to use them and now understand the benifit. I saw the video about setting up the Superfly pullouts with long lengths of line and a stick when I purchased and thought it was the way to go. After enlightenment on this forum, my poles across the top work perfectly for me. So try hiking poles and you have dual purpose rather than dedicated tarp poles.
    And even if you saw it yourself, you wouldn't believe it
    But I wouldn't trust a person like me, if I were you
    Sure I wasn't there, I swear I have an alibi
    I heard it from a man who knows a fella who says it's true
    Gaelic Storm - Johnny Tarr

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    It's not just the pole, it's the tarp won't bend the pole that far. I could tie a cord from end-to-end of the pole and cinch it tight and the pole would be bent, but then the cord would run right through the middle of my hammock or there about.

I actually had to do that once when I had to go to the ground on someone's lawn, but then I didn't use the hammock. I ran the cord under my sleeping pad that time. Otherwise, the tarp would have been so low to the ground, I couldn't have even crawled in.
    Maybe it's time to consider an exterior pole mod..?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Maybe it's time to consider an exterior pole mod..?
    Too many other issues with that, for this application, IMHO. I have an Old Man Winter rainfly, so am well familiar with that system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12