11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman1122 View Post
    FYI it's dangerous to cats when wet, so we make sure to contain our kitty until it's dry.
    I have a question about this. Does anyone know, is this toxic to cats any time the treated material becomes wet, or only while the original treatment is drying?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I don't know. But since items can be washed once applied and it does not wash out (right away), I'd guess your cat would be safe. From what I've read, since it bonds to the fabric, it primarily degrades through abrasion and UV rather than water contact, so that would leave me to believe it doesn't dissolve once applied and dried. For your own piece of mind it would be best to ask the manufacturer though.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    It is safe for cats when dried. Ive used it for years and store the liquid away so they cannot get at it. I wear the clothes ive treated around the house all the time and the cats crawl all over me. I have never seen them suffer any ill effects.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders

Do you use permethrin?

Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    I have a question about this. Does anyone know, is this toxic to cats any time the treated material becomes wet, or only while the original treatment is drying?
    I would say only the original time. Also even though its toxic to cats some flea products made for cats have it as a main ingredient. Those products have been known to cause nerve damage to cats, but it's rare. That being said, don't leave a bowl of it out, but a little exposure to it on your clothes accidentally I don't think would hurt your cat. My kitty is indoors and I do everything outdoors when treating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    Marksman 1122
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I had two questions, need and method, you addressed both, with one follow up.
    The tent is waterproof, does the mist soak in, or just bead up and evaporate? My guess is some of both, or do you only spray the inside?
    I plan to try the spray also on my boat cover. I have a large spider and dirt robber issue on my dock, if the permethrin.05% spray will last 6 weeks there, it's a world beater!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane47 View Post
    ... I plan to try the spray also on my boat cover...
    Please treat the cover away from the water. Permethrin is also highly toxic to aquatic life.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    When you apply it, it leaves a residual coating on the material. If the material is slick and waterproof it still works but doesn't last as long as more porous material. I discovered this comparing effectiveness between an older Hennessy tarp and clothing like wool socks. Not scientific, just a casual observation but It's always worked initially. Best think since sliced toast in my opinion! Same experience with cats; not a problem if your cloths become wet again.
    Gideon

Pretty much ditto what Gideon said, it kinda sorta, not really absorbs into waterproof materials. My tent, I figured out was only partially waterproof, so it partially absorbed in. I recently sprayed my hammock tarp, which is indeed waterproof, and it just beaded up and dried. I did a second coat at a finer mist so it dried covering more surface area. Sprayed both top and bottom of my tarp, but haven't messed with it since I sprayed it, so I don't know how effective it is at killing the little buggers.

Hammock
    WBBB, SLD TL
    Tarp
    HG, WB, SLD
    Insulation
    Leighlo, HG
    Suspension
    dutch, slitline
    I'm a firm believer in Permethrin. I've used both Sawyers, and the stuff you find at Tractor Supply.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    Good info about the use around the water, I plan to treat the boat cover when I treat the tent, and packs.
    Just waiting on the 10% pint from Amazon.
    I'm becoming sold on it as well, I have a bottle of the Sawyer .05%, been testing it around the porches and garage, it's effective!

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast