BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Hiker View Post
    Not sure anyone said this, but is anyone attaching their hex tarp directly to the hammock suspension, like I used to do with my Hennessy Asym?
    Check out Bonefire gear's deluxe suspension.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG UQ - LL TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, Becket hit
    I simply made a shorter continuous loop for each end to move the suspension attachment points in closer to the hammock endsThere is a limit to how short you can go and have your continuous loops be strong enough

Mark

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Fwiw, I used an 11' superfly on my 11' hammock two weeks ago through 24 hrs of continuous rain, surging to downpours, thunderstorms, and light trickles. I use Dutch biners to go cl to whoopies. I like that tip about shorter loops, that would give me enough for piece of mind...

Edit: I was constantly changing tarp angles when breaks happened, wind direction shifted, so did I.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    An alternative to buying a bigger tarp would be to add doors at one tarp end that you can close if weather is coming in. Or put doors at both ends.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    EZSlings
    I use an 11' hammock and did not go with a 12' tarp...

Here's what I've been using https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ammock-shelter
    The StratosFly has an asymmetric design and supports a 12' hammock with enclosed ends and has a min tree span set up distance of 115 inches. Weighs 1lb 2oz.

My setup at the MAHHA this year.
    IMG_7420 small.jpg
    Sierra Madre Research
    www.smr.camp

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I have never had this problem because I bought the right tarp....a Superfly

Seriously though, why not just get a SF? You can just get a SF and problem solved with an 11' tarp you are already familiar with (just added doors.) Adds many coverage options doors open, doors shut, one door open/one door shut, windward end shut other end open, doors staked out, etc.

Also, I know you are an old pro and have your system down to a science I am sure, but I have never once worried about my hammock and tarp suspension rubbing/touching. I think that is way overblown. Just never had any effect from them touching. But I do know that some people really prefer them not to touch and use the V. HYOH and all that.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I have never had this problem because I bought the right tarp....a Superfly

Seriously though, why not just get a SF? You can just get a SF and problem solved with an 11' tarp you are already familiar with (just added doors.) Adds many coverage options doors open, doors shut, one door open/one door shut, windward end shut other end open, doors staked out, etc.

Also, I know you are an old pro and have your system down to a science I am sure, but I have never once worried about my hammock and tarp suspension rubbing/touching. I think that is way overblown. Just never had any effect from them touching. But I do know that some people really prefer them not to touch and use the V. HYOH and all that.
    I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but I think so.

1. I do own a Superfly. It's the same thing as my Mamajamba just with doors. And I even have the door kit for that one! I just like to use the mamajamba without doors for less fuss, weight, bulk, etc. Weather is usually good enough.

2. I'm definitely over the rubbing thing. I never had a problem with it since I ran my hammock thru the "V". Sometimes that did limit my height, though. But last weekend I just pulled the tarp sightly to one side. It may be hard to tell in the photo, but the hammock suspension was nowhere near the yellow tarp cord (several inches away). It turned out to be a different but perfect setup even though the trees were a bit farther than I'm used to. Actually, I could have made a smaller "V" here for even more clearance if I messed with that tarp flyz.

3. I also added a ridgeline. Something I don't care for, but it did pull the hammock in about 1" on each end.

I think someone already said it, but I'm probably worrying about nothing. Something I excel at.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but I think so.

1. I do own a Superfly. It's the same thing as my Mamajamba just with doors. And I even have the door kit for that one! I just like to use the mamajamba without doors for less fuss, weight, bulk, etc. Weather is usually good enough.

2. I'm definitely over the rubbing thing. I never had a problem with it since I ran my hammock thru the "V". Sometimes that did limit my height, though. But last weekend I just pulled the tarp sightly to one side. It may be hard to tell in the photo, but the hammock suspension was nowhere near the yellow tarp cord (several inches away). It turned out to be a different but perfect setup even though the trees were a bit farther than I'm used to. Actually, I could have made a smaller "V" here for even more clearance if I messed with that tarp flyz.

3. I also added a ridgeline. Something I don't care for, but it did pull the hammock in about 1" on each end.

I think someone already said it, but I'm probably worrying about nothing. Something I excel at.

Worrying about something = loving the fiddle factor = me too! Part of what I love about hammocking is how dynamic it is. Tents are so boring haha.

You said you prefer the Mambajamba for less bulk/weight but are talking about going up in size of tarp thus making it bigger/bulkier and heavier. I just think the SF solves all your problems at a minimal weight cost but you must not. I only have one tarp so the SF checked the most boxes for me. I have camped in some serious downpours and never gotten wet when the SF is buttoned up. I would like to get an Edge tarp for light weather summer hangs though eventually. Good luck in finding the perfect solution for your needs. Its part of the fun right?
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah the Superfly is great. I use it in the winter and occasionally when the forecast looks like a lot of rain. But that usually never happens. A 12' hex vs 11' would still be substantially less weight/bulk than adding 4 doors, so that's why I was considering that option. I'm pretty sure I'll put the issue to bed though. Things seem OK

Hammock
    Blackbird+Bonefire
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    LocoL/EE/Katabatic
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    What about picking up some beaks? But it's probably better to just upgrade the whole thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast