Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Sacramento Area Hang June 11-12

After re-reading the responses to the post by Rynomcavoy I'm tempted to do a Sacramento Area hang up in the local hills. Maybe I'll go scout the area this weekend to see what the snow load looks like. Some years it's hikeable in March. On a non-drought-non-climate change affected years there's snow into July. Unfortunately, we haven't had that kind of snow in probably 7 or 8 years.

Lake Spaulding should be open. Grouse ridge might be open at the Carr Lake entrance if not the actual Grouse Ridge entrance.

What dates look good to you folks? The next 2 weeks are booked for me, then there's Memorial day weekend which is always crowded (although I know some spots in the back country where we'd have our own camp). I'll PM everyone on Rynomcavoy's post to direct them here. But anyone else is also welcome to join in.

Let's get a consensus on two questions:

What dates look good?

What distance hiking (between 6000 and 7000 ft elevation) is about right? I think the top distance would be about 7 to 8 miles which we can stretch over a day. I'll suggest different places depending on the length of the hike.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / Katabatic
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Hi Greg. I'm interested. Any time after Mother's Day weekend and before Memorial Day weekend. I have two sons that may be interested. 7-8 miles per day is about right for us. Thanks for putting this out there. We live in Pleasanton.
    Mike U

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Dates: I'm open for any weekend EXCEPT for the following: May 22 to the 23, June 24 to the 26, and July 8 to the 10.

Distance: 8 miles or less works for me.

Elevation: Usually I hike in elevations ranging from 7,500 feet to 9,000 feet, but 6,000 feet (or greater) works for me. Long as it's above 5,000 feet, it shouldn't be blazing hot.

Also to note: If I'm able to make it, my brother will likely be joining me, so there will be 2 of us. We typically travel together.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Rynomcavoy is booked until the end of May and I'd like to do some more training between now and any trip. I've been pushing a desk 12 hours a day for 2 years at the new job and I can really tell that I'm not in shape.

OK folks, How does June 11-12 sound? I'm thinking we can meet in Colfax and if you want we can leave cars at my house and shuttle fewer cars up to Grouse Ridge. We'd essentially do the trip Fronkey and I did a couple of years ago which is about 6 miles. If we add a.5 miles we can get to the 5 lakes area (where I've never been) and that's remote enough that I doubt we'd see any other backpackers. The drive from Colfax to the trail head is about 1 hour and even though there's several miles of dirt road, I can do it in my Honda Civic so we don't need high clearance vehicles.

It would be a quick overnight and then back out on Sunday.

This would be the location:

What do you folks think? Sound good?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Sounds good to me. Just out of curiosity, what's that trail rated as?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / Katabatic
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I'm interested. PM sent to Greg.
    Mike from Pleasanton. June 11-12 ok for me too. I may have 1 or 2 of my sons come along if their schedules permit.
    Last edited by murban; 05-05-2016 at 10:43.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Count me in.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Sounds good to me. Just out of curiosity, what's that trail rated as?
    Trail rated? Hmmm, Not sure. I can tell you this. We can pick one of two trail heads.

Grouse Ridge This starts closer to the destination camp but has a brutal hill right by the trail head so when you're coming back the last mile is tough. Total 1 way mileage is about 6 miles. Trail head starts at 7000 ft elevation. We just take it slow.

Carr Lake This trail head is much flatter but adds about 1 1/2 miles to the trip for a total of about 7 1/2 miles. Trail head starts at 6500 ft elevation. This is the hike in the Fronkey video. Although in the Fronkey video we didn't go the additional mile to the 5 lakes region.

There's probably about 1500 feet total elevation gain/loss over the 6 miles or so. I think the max elevation is about 7200 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by murban View Post
    I'm interested. PM sent to Greg.
    Mike from Pleasanton. June 11-12 ok for me too. I may have 1 or 2 of my sons come along if their schedules permit.
    They are more than welcome. It would be great to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by garyg763 View Post
    Count me in.
    It will be good to see you again.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    Following along...dates are free, I just don't know if it might be a little too ambitious for my first outing of the year.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    Following along...dates are free, I just don't know if it might be a little too ambitious for my first outing of the year.
    Oh believe me, we'll take it slow. I'm nowhere near the shape I was in 2 years ago.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast