Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks Greg, Lake Spaulding sounds good to me, thanks for the information gathering. Knee feels much better but waiting to see if I have to work that weekend. Will keep you updated. So how is the fly fishing.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Looks like I may not be able to make it this time due to transportation problems. Pretty lame, but those are the cards I'm currently working with.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Great report, Greg. Lake Spaulding sounds good to me too.

I'm planning to drive from the Bay Area to Truckee on Friday June 10. I can be at your place earlier than 10:00 to pack the hammock etc. and Nate's rainfly.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by garyg763 View Post
    Thanks Greg, Lake Spaulding sounds good to me, thanks for the information gathering. Knee feels much better but waiting to see if I have to work that weekend. Will keep you updated. So how is the fly fishing.
    I've only fished it twice. The first time I fished it I caught a trout on the first cast. I haven't caught a fish since but then again, I haven't really focused on fishing that creek. I was just sort of casting near water.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Looks like I may not be able to make it this time due to transportation problems. Pretty lame, but those are the cards I'm currently working with.
    That's too bad. I know we've been trying to get together for a while. Maybe next time buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia View Post
    Great report, Greg. Lake Spaulding sounds good to me too. I'm planning to drive from the Bay Area to Truckee on Friday June 10. I can be at your place earlier than 10:00 to pack the hammock etc. and Nate's rainfly.
    I'm WAY downhill from Truckee in Weimar (just 5 miles downhill from Colfax). Are you visiting people in Truckee? Because if you just need a place to stay on Friday you can hang out at my place. That would save a lot of driving.

-------------

I guess I should describe where we're going then. From Sacramento, Bay Area, anywhere downhill on hiway 80, Go east on hiway 80 past Auburn. I live off of Weimar Cross road which is exit 131 on hiway 80. I'll send a PM with my address.

To get to the trail head we will continue east on 80 to the point where it meets hiway 20. We'll turn back west on 20 and go for several miles to Bowman Lake Road. Do not turn at the sign which says "Lake Spaulding Recreational Area". That leads you to the boat ramp.

Kodepop, you're familiar with the area already. So you'd just go to Bowman lake road directly on 20.

At Bowman Lake road you go north which is the only way you can go. Check your odometer because the turnout is at exactly 3.2 miles. On the right side of the road you'll see the turnout, a metal gate, and a small wooden sign which says "Lake Spaulding Trail". If you pass Fuller Lake then you went about a quarter mile too far. That's the trail head and those of us who aren't carpooling or meeting at my house first will just meet there. We should shoot for 11 am unless everyone wants to get started earlier.

Thanks GregB. I have extra gear, including hammocks, in case anyone has any needs. I'll bring a rainfly for Acacia.

Extras include: Osprey Aether 60 backpack, REI Flash 60 backpack, 3 11' single layered hammocks, a Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock, pair of Dutch Spider suspension, pair of whoopie slings, an EE Revelation 10 top quilt, Arrowhead Equipment 4 season poly UQ, trekking poles, stoves, and bear cans (BV 450, BV500).

BTW, I've ALWAYS wanted to check out the backpacking on highway 80. Have maps, seen lots of trail reports, but am so use to going to 50, 88, 4, that I know I'm missing a bunch close to home.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    Thanks GregB. I have extra gear, including hammocks, in case anyone has any needs. I'll bring a rainfly for Acacia.

Extras include: Osprey Aether 60 backpack, REI Flash 60 backpack, 3 11' single layered hammocks, a Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock, pair of Dutch Spider suspension, pair of whoopie slings, an EE Revelation 10 top quilt, Arrowhead Equipment 4 season poly UQ, trekking poles, stoves, and bear cans (BV 450, BV500).

BTW, I've ALWAYS wanted to check out the backpacking on highway 80. Have maps, seen lots of trail reports, but am so use to going to 50, 88, 4, that I know I'm missing a bunch close to home.
    That's awesome. Thanks for offering up the extra gear in case anyone needs anything.

I have carried bear canisters up there in the past, but I usually don't. I think that I may have glimpsed a bear once in 8 years of hiking in that area (maybe). I just hang my food and I've had no problems. Nearer to Lake Tahoe then yes, I'd use a canister. But I've never had an issue, nor have I ever heard of anyone having a bear problem, in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    I'm WAY downhill from Truckee in Weimar (just 5 miles downhill from Colfax). Are you visiting people in Truckee? Because if you just need a place to stay on Friday you can hang out at my place. That would save a lot of driving.
    Wow, that's 2 hours away. Will PM you about where I'll stay on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post

May I impose on borrowing your underquilt if the night is predicted to get below 60? And also your Aether 60 BP if it's a small? No worries if it's not a small.

I can't thank you all enough!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    May I impose on borrowing your underquilt if the night is predicted to get below 60? And also your Aether 60 BP if it's a small? No worries if it's not a small.

The nights will certainly get down to the 50's. I doubt they'll get to the 40s. If Nate can loan you the UQ then that will be a good experience for you. It's very different sleeping with an UQ vs a pad. But if it doesn't work out then the pad will do just fine. I've slept down to the low 30's using the pad as my bottom insulation.

No problem, will bring underquilt for you. It is this one, in 4-season: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html
    I've tried sleeping in a pad 3 times, and did not enjoy it as much as an underquilt, at all.

My backpack is a large size. My GF has a Deuter ACT 60+10 in medium, if you want to try it, as well.

Nate

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast