Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I also have an extra hammock with a bug net if peeps are interested.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by garyg763 View Post
    As of today I have an assignment to shoot on Sunday, however things could change.
    What time? Because you could be back to the car by noon to 1 o'clock if need be.

Also, via PMs Nate mentioned that he may have to meet us at the camp site. The start of the trail can be tricky. Here's some directions I gave to Gary which might be useful.

Directions to Lake Spaulding : Take hiway 80 to hiway 20. Turn back west on 20. Go to Bowman lake road. At Bowman Lake road you go north which is the only way you can go. Check your odometer because the turnout is at exactly 3.2 miles. On the right side of the road you'll see the turnout, a metal gate, and a small wooden sign which says "Lake Spaulding Trail". If you pass Fuller Lake then you went about a quarter mile too far. There's plenty of parking in the turnout. It can fit a dozen cars and I've rarely seen more than 6 there.

Once you get on the trail there's an option you need to know about. From the parking turnout follow the dirt road for about half a mile or so. You'll then see the road turn sharply left and go up a steep hill. There will be a HUGE green pipe to the right. The trail goes right under the pipe. Don't climb that steep road. There is a sign showing the direction but it's easy to miss.

As you pass under the pipe you'll see the trail. Keep following the trail until you see a warning sign and a rock water spillway. If the spillway is dry you can cross there. But when it's running there's no safe way to cross at that point. To get to the safe route back up about 10 to 20 feet and look for a little trail that goes downhill and is parallel to the spillway. Go about a quarter mile. Stay within sight of the spillway, there is a second trail which branches off to the right and that will get you lost quickly. In about a quarter mile you'll see a big Silver pipe on your left which crosses the spillway. Cross under that pipe and you'll see a wooden bridge which allows you to cross the spillway safely. After you cross the bridge hike back in the upstream direction. You'll see a trail sign which will take you to the lake and eventually to where our camp will be.

If the spillway isn't flowing just cross the rocks and you'll see that same trail sign.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    BTW, my friend Shawn "CaptainDuctTape" won't be able to make it. The roll call looks like :

Me,
    My wife,
    Our dog Thunder,
    Acacia,
    KodePop,
    Nate ( joining us later),
    Gary ( may not be able to go. But we hope he can make it)
    Last edited by GregB; 06-07-2016 at 14:41.

GregB,

I plotted the trail based on your directions here: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/...-c0a98e9a5900/
    I stopped it at the junction between Spaulding Lake Trail and Grouse Ridge Trail, ~4.8 miles. Does it look good? We camping around there?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    GregB,

I plotted the trail based on your directions here: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/...-c0a98e9a5900/
    I stopped it at the junction between Spaulding Lake Trail and Grouse Ridge Trail, ~4.8 miles. Does it look good? We camping around there?
    That looks good. That's exactly where we'll be hiking. The camp I hope to stay at is right along the trail and should be easy to find. You'll notice that the orange line on your map stops right at a trail split. We won't be going quite that far. The camp will be about a quarter mile before that orange line ends.

That's a great map. Thanks for posting that.
    Last edited by GregB; 06-07-2016 at 18:07.

Perfect. I make sure I'm prepared so I don't end up in the news. Last backpacking trip over Memorial Day Weekend, one of my group members was flown out via CalFire helicopter.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Greg, my assignment Sunday is at noon, crap. BUT, I might see about coming up Saturday and doing a day hike with all of you. Will let you know. The weather is predicted to be perfect.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by garyg763 View Post
    Greg, my assignment Sunday is at noon, crap. BUT, I might see about coming up Saturday and doing a day hike with all of you. Will let you know. The weather is predicted to be perfect.
    That's too bad. But it would be great to see you for part of the hike if you can make it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY! WHOO HOO!

Acacia will be stopping by Nate's place to pick up some gear and should be at my house by 9 to 9:30. We'll carpool from here and be at the trail head between 10:30 and 11:00. We'll wait until 11:00 to make sure we don't miss KodePop or Gary. Nate will be joining us later in the day and will probably meet us at camp.

I am SO looking forward to this. Work has been really rough for several weeks and this will be the first time I'll be out on the trail this year. I can't believe I haven't hiked yet.

Also, is anyone else bringing a dog? My dog, Thunder, is awesome with people but he's getting older and has some hip trouble. Because of this he's really intolerant of other dogs since he can't really run away from trouble. He still loves to hike and the vet says as long as he wants to go keep bringing him out. In any case, if there are any other dogs I would probably want to leave him home.

See you all tomorrow.

No dog here. I should be at TH around 1 PM, and meet you guys at camp. I've never backpacked in this area, but based on the elevation, elevation profile, and distance, I can prob make it in 2.5 hrs or so.

I have a backpack, underquilt, and tarp for Acacia.

This is what I look like, in case I don't see a group with hammocks up
    P1050741.JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast