Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE

HG vs. UGQ: Fill Wt. and Temp Rating

I'm looking at buying an underquilt (and top quilt) for my wife so she can join in on the fun. After spending a substantial amount of time researching various vendors, I'm stuck between HammockGear and Underground Quilts. Both appear to be the standard as far as quality and service are concerned.

It appears to me that when temp rating and size are equal, UGQ seems to include more down in their quilts than HG. For instance, for the standard HG Incubator 20, a 78'' x 44'' quilt, the fill weight is listed as 12 oz. The full length UGQ Zeppelin 20, a 77'' x 45'' quilt, has 13.64 oz of down. I realize the Zeppelin is negligibly larger anyway from a volume standpoint (assuming baffle height is the same for both), so that may be the reason for the additional 1.64 oz of down.

Given the down fill difference, I'm interested in knowing whether there is any real difference in the accuracy of each quilt's temperature rating. Is the UGQ warmer relative to the HG? I'd be particularly interested in input from anyone having experience with both. If you have experience with only one, what's your take on the accuracy of the temperature rating?

Disclaimer: I know temp rating is subjective, and depends on a ton of factors (metabolism, humidity, caloric intake before bed, activity level before bed, etc.) so no need to include the usual lecture about this I see on "temp rating" posts I'm just looking for general comments on your subjective experience with either or both of these vendors.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You can't judge warmth by fill weight. You're looking at two completely different products, with different designs. Underground quilt's are basically standard rectangle quilts. Hammock Gear shapes their quilt's, and reduces baffle size in the foot region (Full length only), and will have a smaller internal volume.

Generally speaking, both are reported to be fairly accurate on their temp ratings.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    did you compare the same down? HG uses 850 down while UGQ has 800-950 down options. the difference in ounces might be different down. the higher the rating the more loft and therefor less down in ounces required. or something like that.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Hammock Gear shapes their quilt's, and reduces baffle size in the foot region (Full length only), and will have a smaller internal volume.

Generally speaking, both are reported to be fairly accurate on their temp ratings.
    After reading through HG's website, I couldn't find any information about a reduced baffle size in the foot region. I did read about their differential cut baffles (UGQ also does this), but nothing about a reduced baffle size in the foot region. The website does mention their "designed with a contour which mimics the shape a person makes when they are laying in a hammock," but again, that does not necessarily equate to a reduced baffle size in the foot region. Where are you getting that information?

Do you own a HG underquilt? Do you have any pictures showing the reduced baffle size?

Thanks,
    Drew

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    did you compare the same down? HG uses 850 down while UGQ has 800-950 down options. the difference in ounces might be different down. the higher the rating the more loft and therefor less down in ounces required. or something like that.
    Yep, same down. 850FP is what I used for comparison on UGQ's site, as that is what HG uses.

Images
    I may not be much help, but I have a whole fleet of quilts from UGQ. Their temp ratings are spot on. I'll sleep in my underwear unless it's around 0*F, and they always keep me warm when they say they will.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    i have both, i use the ugq more than the hammock gear but you cant go wrong with either.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    UGQ tend to be more comfy/cosy, where the HG is more streamline. Both are fantastic, top of the line products. I don't really want to say base camping vs backpacking because the weight difference is so minimal, but that is sort of how I look at it. I too have both.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Thanks for the input everyone. I figured I probably couldn't go wrong either. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Incubator 20. I don't want to risk my wife having to fool around with a small foot pad and a quilt.

While I never did find any confirmation of the reduced baffle size which Boston referenced above, I re-watched a ton of videos on YouTube where I do see how HG tapers their quilts towards the foot end. This alone could account for the difference in down fill. My guess is that it would be more packable as a result, another key consideration for me (well, my wife). I also want to order a tarp, so it'd save me some shipping as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    DryFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ / HG UG
    Suspension
    Dutched whoopies
    Fwiw I love my Incubator 20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast