Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird 1.1 single l
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    jacksrbetter
    Images

Opinions on hanging your pack from your suspension for a noonish hanger !

Ive seen more then a few people hang there packs from the ends of the suspension on there hammocks . Ive done this my self a few times but i don't like how it makes me hammock lay when I'm in it . Whats your guys preferred method of storing you pack ?
    I normally end up hanging my pack on a tree with a good branch but would prefer to keep it under my tarp however i dont like it laying on the ground .

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I lay mine underneath me or hang it from a tree limb or tree trunk with a dogbone.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on the conditions. Most of the time I leave it laying on the ground, but when there's blowing precipitation I will certainly hang it from my hammock ridgeline. It does make the ridgeline a bit more taut, but nothing I worry about. I'm a head right, feet left kind of guy, so I hang the pack at my feet on the right side - don't even know it's there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    I'm sure my old backpack has some food stink even when it has no food in it -- so I hang it from the suspension so mice won't chew it. It hangs from the little bit of continuous loop that sticks out from the channeled end of the hammock (inboard of the drip line), so it stays dry, too.

Placing the pack can be the final step in suspension adjustment. I put it at whichever end should be/could be a little lower, even though the nearly empty pack doesn't have much effect on the overall hang.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I hang mine on the headend of my hammock.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    I know my almost empty (just clothes really) pack will pull one end of my hammock down about an inch and a half. So when I hang my hammock I automatically hang the head end a little higher. Once I hang my pack, everything is level. It also helps me remember to hang my pack!
    Also, this is one of only two issues I have with hammocking. Not a great place to stow your pack/gear and second the "fiddle"factor. Although I kind of like fiddling with my hammock set up. But after a long day of making miles, trying to get that underquilt just right and so forth can be a little downer. But it's all worth it when you settle in to the sweet spot in that hammock!
    JC

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=jcreamer;1626241trying to get that underquilt just right and so forth can be a little downer. But it's all worth it when you settle in to the sweet spot in that hammock!
    JC[/QUOTE]

Eh...just like tent camping when you toss & turn trying to get comfortable on the ground pad. But that's why I love hammocks - once you find that sweet spot you're in heaven!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

I'll usually hang it on the foot end, but if I know there's no chance of rain, I'll put my pack cover on it and use my Big Carl pack hanger on the nearest tree. If I have my stool with me, sometimes I'll just set it on that to keep it off the ground.
    Last edited by michigandave; 05-10-2016 at 09:27.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.HammockFest View Post
    Ive seen more then a few people hang there packs from the ends of the suspension on there hammocks . Ive done this my self a few times but i don't like how it makes me hammock lay when I'm in it...
    Um, get a lighter pack? Do you keep stuff in your pack that's weighing it down? Sometimes that's the case with mine and I leave it on a piece of tyvek under the hammock, with my shoes. On light hikes, there's typically nothing left in it, so it hangs off the hammock suspension just fine.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    mine goes on my ground cover (the foot print from my tent) under my hammock and i've hung it from a tree a time or two as well if the weather is good. i ordered one of those molly mac gear hammocks so i can keep my gear off the ground and dry all year round. looking forward to that.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast