Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

UQ plans

I am planning on a new UQ and would like some advice from the gallery. I am in need of a winter UQ that will be exclusively used as an UQ. I am thinking of using sil for the top piece which sounds logical to me, but I see very few of them. I have slept many times using a pad and that sure doesn't breath and my summer UQ is sil and I have had no problems with condensation with that one. So is there anything wrong with a sil top piece?

Also have made my quilts in the past 48 inches wide and I hava noticed the Mt Washington is only 42 inches wide. I also know that there are other UQs that are narrower. Does anyone think that 42 inches is a little narrow? It would be nice to have a narrower quilt to make the best use of the down.

This quilt will be mainly used on an HH clone. I know you can get by with a narrower quilt on a bridge. But I don't think I am a bridge weenie.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    By 'top piece', do you mean the inner shell that contacts the hammock fabric? If so, that certainly seems like the best place for it, and having that act as a vapor barrier ought to make the quilt warmer. And since the fabric of the hammock is between you and the barrier, condensation is likely reduced...so I would surmise.

I have a Winter Te-Wa that is 40" wide, and I consider it to be sized well. As long as your top quilt is sufficiently wide to cover the sides of your shoulders, I think narrower underquilts work fine.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    MWUQ4, highly recommended. I find it plenty wide enough with a bridge or HH-Expl/Safari or Claytor. As for width, if I lay on my side in fetal, and in a really max diagonal(gathered end), sometimes I think the coverage on either one side or the other seems a little iffy, but so far I have never been cold, so maybe not. But in general, I find this thing to be the Cat's Meow. Mainly because, for me, it seems to fit better with an always snug fit ON MORE hammocks than anything I have tried. Plus, it covers me ( 6'1") from just above the head to below my feet. Especially in my bridge, no matter how I move during sleep, I never seem to land on a cols spot. Or for sure not for more than a few seconds.

Or, WB Winter Yeti, and a pad for your legs. I've never used one, but I'm sure they would be excellent. I have used a similar synthetic model which is excellent. Using a leg pad will save you some weight, especially if you are carrying it anyway. I don't think it is quite as luxurious as the full length MW, but weight savings is worth something.

We don't hear much about the Speer Snugfits lately. But those that have them love them, and they are probably as close to a perfect fit( on gathered end any way) as you can get. They are only rated to 30, but several folks have taken them much colder.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My next DIY quilt will have a sil top layer. And the MWUQ if plenty wide for me on non-bridge hammocks. I've used the kids underquilt at 36" wide a few times...it works well enough for summertime. Might be ok for winter...haven't tried a winter quilt that narrow yet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks guys I just ordered sil with confidence. Tha narrower qilt also make it easier to do teh differential baffles. At 48 wide I was going to need 64 inch wide bottom piece and that would have required sewin 2 pieces together. I will be showing it off at the winter hang.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    my last two UQs had vapor barrier material next to the hammock (one sil, one cuben). I've had no issues with that. You'll be fine

Grizz

Images
    i made a uq that had a full sil shell. did a really good job of blocking the wind, noticeably better than 1.1dwr.

there would be issues with a full sil down quilt, but those could possibly be overcome. perhaps a better idea might be a permanent sil inner layer and a removeable sil outer cover that goes over the breathable outer shell.

i never had condensation problems with the sil uq, i say go for it

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Ok I am past material and I am working on design. I put a very heavy sleeping bag in my DIY HH and basically made an outline of the place where I woud lay. I am making a 3/4 UQ by the way. It goes from the center of my head to just above my knees. I was going to make it wider at the top but I was surpized at how square it turned out. Final dimensions are 45 wide x47 long. Then I noticed that a 2" pleat on the right side really made it fit better and gave it a bathtub shape. I don't know why it wasn't needed on the left side. It may have to do with the ability to attach it to the tie out.

Anyhow, putting a pleat on differential baffled quilt ha me a little perplexed but I think i got it figured out. Then I was thinking that maybe it would be easier to run cordlock through it and that way I can adjust the amount it is gathered. That may be good b/c this will have to fit and aray of hammocks.

Any thoughts about cordlock in a channel vs. putting a pleat to make the bathtub shape?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ...but those could possibly be overcome. perhaps a better idea might be a permanent sil inner layer and a removeable sil outer cover that goes over the breathable outer shell.
    That is a great idea. Maybe make a quilt with the similar concept as the cuban top quilt made by Tim Marshall. Make it all out of sil except a breathable strip down the middle of the outer shell. More work and material involved but...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Any thoughts about cordlock in a channel vs. putting a pleat to make the bathtub shape?
    I am not seeing the cordlock channel concept in my head. There might be something there but I am not seeing it. As far as the bathtub shape is concerned it just kind of happens for me. Pleating the inner edge of the baffles as you sew them to the inner shell of the quilt, along with doing the same when sewing the two shells together also has the affect of drawing everything into the "bathtub"

If I have it all wrong or dont understand what you are saying, sorry. I am looking foward to seeing your new creation! You have skills!

Adam
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Images
    dutch is talking about removing material (acute triangle shape) from the inner shell i believe. i've tried messing with that a couple times, but always ended up deciding against it in the long run. may work for you though. i also was concerned about it not working well with other hammocks that way, only the one it was tailored for

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast