hello from washington state

new girl here. the hubby and i moved from Indiana after i graduated college 9 at a later age in life) and love how beautiful it is out here and how amazing it is fro camping and hiking. while doing some research on better camping ideas, i found shug videos. i had never heard of hammock camping before and i was really interested in the idea of actually being comfy instead of tossing and turning all night. well we had most of the stuff for tent camping and went out recently and sure enough.......im far too old and fat ( im not that old...or that fat but still) we just cant sleep on the ground anymore...so here we are......ready to learn more and about to buy our first hammock. to be honest...i have in my sites the wildhorn outfitters double hammock with lightspeed straps from amazon.....

i figure at $60 and 11 feet long it would be a better choice for a 5'7 hefty girl like me as well as my hefty man at 6'1.

im glad i found this place and i hope i can find some hangs near me, especially some all female hangs.....

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the hammock archives, afira.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. I'm pleasantly surprised by what you found on Amazon and it looks pretty reasonable. It is a bit heavy (especially if you're looking at the double layer), but much better than some of the other choices you'd find on Amazon. The suspension in particular is much better than the garden variety stuff I expected to see.

If you are interested in a much wider selection of choices for fabric along with an identical suspension system, take a look at http://www.dutchwaregear.com/11-ft.-...mmocks-en.html With a single layer Hexxon 1.6 (rated to 350 lb, see http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hexon-1.6.html) and a cinch buckle suspension, it will run you $78 and weighs 1 lb, 5 oz rather than the 2 lb, 3 oz that the double Outpost hammock weighs. I don't know the quality of the Outpost hammock, but I do know that Dutch is highly regarded here and puts out a great product. A number of other cottage manufacturers you will see here on the forums that also put out a great product. Either way you go, it looks like you're off to a good start.

You'll also want to investigate tarps and insulation at some point in the future. Lots of choices in both cases and lots of reading to do. So much info on this site, it's almost overwhelming. Have fun!

Thanks I will take your advice and see about that setup with dutch. The problem with ordering from him us so many drop down menus, being new I dont fully understand what I need or not.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Welcome from Spokane! I can second the quality of Dutch's hammocks but ther are many awesome cottage vendors to choose from.That Hexon 1.6 though... Some of the most comfortable fabric I've ever encountered. I'm also a fan of hennessy's for being a pretty inclusive system out of the bag, you'll definitely be wanting bug protection the ticks and mosquitos are out in full force already and a tarp is a must with the alternating 80* sunny days followed by 40* and raining. Shug's videos really do a good job of covering th how-tos and the why firs of insulation and hammock set up. I'm happy to be a resource for eastern Washington information as well. Welcome to the madness!

I'm interested in the Half Wit myself. Some day.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Did you ever get your hammock? which one did you finally get?
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Kammok Roo,GT SB,GT Freedom
    Suspension
    Python,GT,ENO kit
    Images
    Hi from Des Moines

• + New Posts