Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images

Which Yeti?

Well, I'll start off by saying that I know for a fact that I am getting a Yeti. I just can't decide on which one, and I can't get both at the moment. I basically camp until it snows (will eventually move onto the winter camping). So, I do sometimes camp when it's below freezing. I am thinking that the 3-season will not be warm enough for times like that, and I would prefer to not use a full size pad in combo with it. So, the winter yeti would then make sense to buy, right? But, what about using the winter yeti in the summer? Will it be too hot even with pulling it above my head to vent? Do you think I'll have too hard of a time controlling my heat in the summer? Do you think I should just make a neatsheet UQ for the summer when it gets above 75 degrees(just throwing out a number, would have to experiment), and use the winter yeti when it gets below that? I should mention that the extra weight and size of the winter yeti does not matter to me, and I am more of a cold sleeper. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    Whoops. I just read the "winter or summer UQ" thread, and that pretty much answered my question. Although, any additional input would be appreciated.
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If most of your camping is non-winter, I'd get the 3 season and supplement with a CCF pad when necessary. Always good to have at least a torso pad when it's really winter anyway, IMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    on the other hand, if weight/size doesn't matter to you, the winter yeti would be your all-in-one. you shouldn't have a problem venting sufficiently in warmer temps. venting your topside insulation in conjunction with sliding it up past your head should be enough. if it's 75 deg out you might not need bottom insulation at all.

venting topside insulation does alot, that's what you do at home in bed. your mattress is basically the equivalent of a super thick/warm winter pad, but you keep from overheating in summer by making sure you're well vented on top.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    What you describe was exactly my question when I was looking for a 2/3 quilt. I got a winter 2/3 for the same reasons Warbonnetguy describes above, but haven't had it through a summer yet. It did well for me for colder fall. I figuring it will be easy enough to vent in warmer weather.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts