Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images

Why I decided to get short versions of Incubators

i had bought regular sized Incubators as my first down gear sometime last year, and recently bought short versions of Burrows. the short Burrows and how well they fit me got me to thinking that given my height, there was a lot of "wasted" down in the Incubators past my feet and above my head when laying in the hammock. i looked at the measurements (73") for the short Incubators and figured it would be the perfect size for my height (5'7"). i sold off my regular Incubators and placed an order for new, short versions of 0, 20 and 40 Incubators. i also figured that if i overstuffed them 2oz, then the cost was about the same as a regular size. so with short versions, i'd get more down with better fit at almost the same cost as a regular size. it was win-win all around. i also asked them to adjust the baffle sizes of the Incubators to account for the 2oz overfill on each, so that essentially added 10F warmth to each Incubator: -10, 10, and 30F Incubators.

i wish i had been advised about this back when i was first researching underquilts. or maybe i was so set on regular size quilts that i didn't research well enough. so if you're 5'9" and under, shorter versions may be a much better option than standard size options.

and many thanks goes out to Hammock Gear for making such awesome quilts!
    Last edited by novasquid; 05-12-2016 at 14:38.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've been using my 20°+1 short for a few weeks now. At 5'9", it's perfect. Not sure I will convert my 0°, but it's a possibility.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    do you feel any drafts given that the Inc is the exact same length as your height? i just got mine a few days ago and haven't had a chance to use them outdoors yet, but plan to test out the 30 Inc and 40 Burrow this weekend when the temp dips down to the low 40s.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    do you feel any drafts given that the Inc is the exact same length as your height? i just got mine a few days ago and haven't had a chance to use them outdoors yet, but plan to test out the 30 Inc and 40 Burrow this weekend when the temp dips down to the low 40s.
    At 5'9" (69") the short version is a little longer (73"). So Starting at the lower part of my head, it goes a few inches past my feet. Perfect setup. It took me a long time to realize how useless it was to have all that down under my head since I had a pillow or stuffsack with extra clothes anyway.

Absolutely no drafts. In fact, I feel like it fits better with less "interference" from my body. I only took it down to 32° so far, but after getting in it immediately feels like a better fit than the standard 78" version.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm 5'10" and use the short Incubator instead of custom ordering a Phincubator. Works great for me. No drafts, that's what the draft collar is for.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    At 5'9" (69") the short version is a little longer (73").
    oops, looks like i got the Burrows and Incubators mixed up. short Burrows are 69" and short Incubators are 73". the short Incubator (73") fits me (67") perfectly from head to toe when laying in it too. i use a pillow too, but still like the down coverage under my head.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I'm glad you found something that works so well for you! Full-length for you is all you need. Enjoy!

• + New Posts