WBRR: Does using the Spindrift Sock reduce the need for an UQ?

I've got a WBRR and a Full length Lynx UQ 20 degree, and I'm thinking about spring / summer usage of my hammock.

With my limited experience, I'm not sure if the Spindrift sock will be enough to keep cold butt syndrome away at night while I sleep. It would be convenient not having to pack the extra bulk of the under quilt.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Below about 80°F, my backside will get cool without at least something under me. I can get away with laying on something in the hammock, but it's been awhile since I've hung when it's warm out. I would think that if it were warm enough to get away with using only the Spindrift beneath you, it would end up being too hot because of the reduced airflow. Just a theory though.

Hopefully someone else can help you out. I've only used the Spindrift in winter.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    You will still need an UQ. My wife has the Spindrift sock but finds that she needs an UQ. She has the 2 door option.

Taking the suspension apart to use the RR in the sock and then then putting it back to the stock non sock configuration is a bit of a PITA. I ended up getting her a non netted RR to use just with the sock and her netted RR without the sock.

She does love the sock's ability to block the wind.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Socks are mainly a cold weather item. When it's warm, you sometimes need airflow up top which the sock would prevent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    True, but I have a buddy camping on a coastal island this weekend to field test the heat vs sand reduction. Seems to be a warm weather use in that situation?

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I see you are in Durham. I slept at ENO SP with the spindrift, exped pad w/ R value of 8, and WBRR double in 30 degree nights for the first time in the hammock. Started out with the usual: baclava, gloves, vest, 40 degree bag, wool blanket I had been using in my ENO doublenest. Woke up the next morning dang near neked, everything but the sleeping bag was in the bottom of the sock. I'm a mostly warm sleeper, get cold feet easy though. I haven't tried in the configuration/conditions you speaking of. Post back the results.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'd echo what others said. I wouldn't use the ridge runner without the Lynx or a pad. The sock alone isn't enough - it's best to boost ratings in cold weather by a few degrees but especially to block wind and light precipitation.

Due to the issue mentioned with taking it on and off I've only ever really used it in cold weather/winter.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneButtonTooSexy View Post

I've got a WBRR and a Full length Lynx UQ 20 degree, and I'm thinking about spring / summer usage of my hammock.

With my limited experience, I'm not sure if the Spindrift sock will be enough to keep cold butt syndrome away at night while I sleep. It would be convenient not having to pack the extra bulk of the under quilt.
    I would say that the Spindrift socks extends the lower range of an underquilt or pad but does not replace an underquilt or pad. You can extend the range of a 20 degree quilt down to maybe 10 degrees. With the Spindrift and no underquilt or pad at all you will get could below 70 degrees.

I find i can use "useless" insulation as under insulation down to the 50s for an appropriately rated bag. My marmot summer bag is enough on its own to the 50s. Once in the 50s a 20 deg quilt feels pretty cozy.

• + New Posts