Check my setup for a short At hike in a week or so.

I am going to GA probably around springer for a 3-4 day hike in a week or so and need some feedback on my general shelter and warmth gear.

So far I have a...

10x12 tarp
    home made asym hammock thats pretty darn comfortable.
    2 20x48 blue pads that will go between the two hammock layers sideways.
    I skrunch up and side sleep.
    This is dense 3/8 CCF from bass pro shops, not the less dense walmart stuff.

A driducks or campmor sil poncho will go underneath to hold more insul. IE like a garlington. I could also add another poncho to snap together to form a cocoon.
    So far thats it for under insulation.
    Probably not enough.

I have a golite ultra 20 quilt. It lofts up fully to about 2.5" so I got a good one.

Also have a 7oz med emer bivy as an inner liner extender just in case.
    This one..

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...level2_id=&N=0

For clothing I will be wearing med weight silk base layer top and bottom, or maybe a smart wool tee, light wool pants and a med wt wool shirt and a beanie of some sort.

I have some lt wt gortex boots, but am just thinking about wearing some asics.

Packed will be insul lt wt pants as an extender, heavy socks, spare socks, down vest, Montbell thermawrap parka, med wt wool gloves and a driducks suit as a wind gear and more clothing extension.

My weak point is the under insulation, but I dont really have time to put anything together unless I just add anoher full length pad or go to wally world and buy a cheap bag.

I plan to build a cuben down or climasheild xp underquilt sometime in the future so I dont want to waste $ on a half baked UQ solution thats heavy.

Thanks

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    What are you using for a pack, stove, food, and what's the weight of your med & hygeine gear.

This isnt the first time I have backpacked. Dont really need a full gear review, just shelter and warmth. Its been 25 years since I was on the AT in the winter, and I have a lot of new gear and more specifically I have never hiked with a hammock in winter and have never used this golite ultra 20 on a hike.

Always been a tent ground down bag sleeper.
    I do have 2 other snowlion sleeping bags that are very warm, but mostly overkill.

As far as everything else I pretty much have that covered.

I have a few different cook kits, but my latest fav is a nested alcohol beer can cookset - 5 oz, I have 3 packs right now, a Jam II and an older kelty alpine pack. Also have a mostly finished Cuben frame pack. Needs about 2 more hours of work.

Food will be about 1.5-2# a day, typical bag cook stuff.

Med is a typ ultralight set.
    Same for emer kit.
    Hygene and everyday is mostly typical UL stuff about 12-16 oz.

My base weight should be about 14-15# for this trip until I get some more cuben stuff built.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds reasonable. You can always wear your clothes to bed or put the insulated clothing into the garlington taco at night for some added warmth. And if it's no-kiddin' too cold for the hammock, you can go to ground with your pads and tarp. I think you'll be safe with that setup.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts