Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers

Calf ridge

I was just wondering what çalf ridge is. I think I have an idea but I'm not sure.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    It's when the material in a gathered end hammock "rises" generally down the middle of the lying surface from end to end. This "ridge" presses on the calves and can also cause slight leg hyper extension which is uncomfortable after a long period.

There are many ways to solve including a longer hammock, proper "sag", hang angle, foot end higher, sleep angle/position, small pillow under the knees, etc. Many threads on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    Thanks! I notice that mostly in my basement where I can't get the angles right.

Hammock
    Shug hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/TopFlight
    Suspension
    Whoop sling
    So, how do you correct it?

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue View Post
    So, how do you correct it?

Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    There are many ways to solve including a longer hammock, proper "sag", hang angle, foot end higher, sleep angle/position, small pillow under the knees, etc. Many threads on the topic.

Ridgeline length also... which falls under sag as noted above by Campdavid. The way the ends are gathered/whipped may play a part as well.

I currently have a WBBB XLC that has the most calf ridge issues I've experienced in any hammock. I'm about to redo the gathers and put an adjustable ridgeline on to see if I can make it go away totally.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've only experienced calf ridge in hammocks with integrated bugnets. I've never had it using a simple, gathered hammock at least 10.5 ft. long. Therefore, I always stick with simple, gathered-end hammocks at least 10.5 ft. long. I strictly use triple-sewn channels with a continuous loop through them - simple, repeatable, and brainless. I've never tried whipping the ends because it doesn't look to be as repeatable as I'd like. People are always saying that with whipping, you can customize the lay to your specifications. I don't want anything like that - it doesn't sound very repeatable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Calf ridge

All three hammocks I use for sleeping are 11' with 110" ridgelines. The result, for me at least, has been no calf ridge. Keep in mind, you still have to sleep at the correct angle and have a higher foot end then head.

When I get into my hammock, sometimes there is a ridge and I just shove my feet into it at the proper sleep angle which smooths it out and it's all good.

By the way, my hammocks are, 2 wilderness logics night owls (double layer, "balled end" untied and loops threaded through the channels, w/ knotty mods) and a Dutch 11' single layer Hexon 2.4, no knotty mod (I will likely add this mod myself...did not realize how much I like it). These hammocks have little stretch.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've only experienced calf ridge in hammocks with integrated bugnets. I've never had it using a simple, gathered hammock at least 10.5 ft. long. Therefore, I always stick with simple, gathered-end hammocks at least 10.5 ft. long. I strictly use triple-sewn channels with a continuous loop through them - simple, repeatable, and brainless. I've never tried whipping the ends because it doesn't look to be as repeatable as I'd like. People are always saying that with whipping, you can customize the lay to your specifications. I don't want anything like that - it doesn't sound very repeatable.
    I had a bad calf ridge in my warbonnet blackbird, but have zero ridge in my dream hammock darien. Both have integrated bug nets.

Just an anecdote. I too like my simple, netless hammock. I find those are the most customizable to the user.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Keep in mind, you still have to sleep at the correct angle and have a higher foot end then head.

This is a guideline and not a rule. You don't have to have your foot higher than your head. I like a more even hammock lay. I don't like the feeling of sliding to one end or the other.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I like simple hammocks, too. Especially since they're easy to make yourself, and the pride that comes along with making your own stuff.

I would say in general, a simple gathered end is indeed usually less prone to calf ridge than a hammock with an integrated net. Ironically, the hammock that seems to be the most comfortable of any of the ones I own is my SLD Trail Lair.

I would really like to get this XLC to be at least as comfortable as some of my other hammocks. It's fun messing around with different configurations too, so that's another reason to play around with it. I'm also just curious to see if I find anything peculiar about the gathers when I take it apart. I'll be replacing the buckles with standard continuous loops as well so I can swap out different suspensions like I do with my other hammocks.

Wish me luck
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast