Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question about Bag Liners

Hey guys,

I know that there's a huge push for underquilts but I sadly can't afford them (even if the cost will pay for itself later, it's the paying for it now that's unavailable.)

Anyways, I was in our local camping shop earlier this week looking for a couple pads to go underneath my wives and my own sleeping bags while out in weather that'll be around .... 35F - 40F at night. The sales rep there then told me that he was a hammocker (then kindly explained his hammock was two pieces of cloth crudely sewn together) and that he would suggest a SEA TO SUMMIT Reactor Extreme Liner. It claims to give tops +25F of heat. He then explained that unlike a sleeping bag the liner wouldn't crush all the way like a sleeping bag would and therefore it would be good for the cooler nights.

I don't really know whether or not it would be good enough though, if anyone has had experience with this product or camping during cooler weather do you have any cheaper alternatives than buying two underquilts or is that the only option for the cooler weather?

Sorry if this was asked before, I did do a search on google and the forums but I didn't find an answer that answered my original question.

Thank you!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryB View Post
    Hey guys,

I know that there's a huge push for underquilts but I sadly can't afford them (even if the cost will pay for itself later, it's the paying for it now that's unavailable.)
    You can't afford an UQ but are thinking about paying US $67.95 for a bag liner that "Adds up to 25°F of warmth to a sleeping bag?" It's a 14 ounce piece of polyester. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money.

https://www.rei.com/product/797114/s...ummy-bag-liner
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's because I can't afford two UnderQuilts here I'd be paying nearly.......... 520 where I live for two of them where as I'd pay about 130 - 140 for two bag liners. They wouldn't be long term and the trip we're taking is not one we want to take it's more camping is less expensive than hotels along the way so we're kinda forced to do that for now. It's an unfortunate short term situation and we're trying to just make it work for the time being.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Closed cell foam pads will do just fine. The Thermarest solar ridgerest XL would be my easily obtainable choice. The width is what sets it apart. A standard 20" width won't cut it in a hammock, you want something that will wrap around you a bit. Gossamer Gear also offers a very nice 1/4" hammock pad. The bag liner won't do an adequate job of keeping you warm at those temps and will be exceedingly frustrating to deal with in the hammock.

If you can't find a wide pad that will work for you do a forum search on the Segmented Pad Extender or SPE. Thy are a simple DIY project to put together. But on a budget foam is the way to go hands down, I like the ridged pads because I feel they keep the condensation away from me a bit better which you will get in the 30*-40* range.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just wouldn't waste my money. If you have a decent topquilt/sleeping bag, and a ccf pad underneath you, that should be fine for 35 to 40* F nights. Long term or not, you'd be dropping $130 to $140 on something that very few people use (I'm not surprised you came up short in searching for sleeping bag liners). That's 1/4 the cost of the UQs you could eventually buy!

Have you looked at the Jarbidge synthetic UQ? It's $100 US, 20 oz., and good down to 25* F. I don't know much about Canadian tariffs, but even a 60% tariff would put you at $320 for two UQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    Closed cell foam pads will do just fine. The Thermarest solar ridgerest XL would be my easily obtainable choice. The width is what sets it apart. A standard 20" width won't cut it in a hammock, you want something that will wrap around you a bit. Gossamer Gear also offers a very nice 1/4" hammock pad. The bag liner won't do an adequate job of keeping you warm at those temps and will be exceedingly frustrating to deal with in the hammock.

If you can't find a wide pad that will work for you do a forum search on the Segmented Pad Extender or SPE. Thy are a simple DIY project to put together. But on a budget foam is the way to go hands down, I like the ridged pads because I feel they keep the condensation away from me a bit better which you will get in the 30*-40* range.
    Hey, thanks for that I'll make sure to look into it, I can't wait till we're off the budget but that'll be really helpful for the trip coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just wouldn't waste my money. If you have a decent topquilt/sleeping bag, and a ccf pad underneath you, that should be fine for 35 to 40* F nights. Long term or not, you'd be dropping $130 to $140 on something that very few people use (I'm not surprised you came up short in searching for sleeping bag liners). That's 1/4 the cost of the UQs you could eventually buy!

Have you looked at the Jarbidge synthetic UQ? It's $100 US, 20 oz., and good down to 25* F. I don't know much about Canadian tariffs, but even a 60% tariff would put you at $320 for two UQs.
    I wish I lived closer to the border, it's not so much the tarrif's that get me as much as it is the cost of shipping, they already ate up nearly 130 to ship our current supplies to us from the states. Until we get back across to the States I'll look into the CCF, it seems like the best option within my budget right now unless I can find the Jarbridge somewhere within Canada.

Sorry if I came across a little strong in my last post, I re-read it and realized it might sound a little off putting. I really do not want to waste my money so thank you for the advice!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryB View Post
    Sorry if I came across a little strong in my last post, I re-read it and realized it might sound a little off putting. I really do not want to waste my money so thank you for the advice!
    I've got a whole closetful of cheap gear I bought because I didn't want to buy what I needed. I survived two years of hammock camping with just a 0* synthetic sleeping bag and a ccf pad (only $10!). I was able to get down to 22* F without being cold using that gear, but the condensation from the pad just killed me as I went to lower temps. I don't consider ccf pads to be a long-term solution for hammock camping (they are not comfortable), but they will do the job down to a certain point (which I would say is 30* F, but that's just my opinion).

Look into the Snugpak blanket underquilt - weighs a ton (52 oz.) but you might be able to find them in Canada on sale.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/hammock-under-blanket

They seem to have a 2-month ship date right now, but those who don't care about weight seem to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've got a whole closetful of cheap gear I bought because I didn't want to buy what I needed. I survived two years of hammock camping with just a 0* synthetic sleeping bag and a ccf pad (only $10!). I was able to get down to 22* F without being cold using that gear, but the condensation from the pad just killed me as I went to lower temps. I don't consider ccf pads to be a long-term solution for hammock camping (they are not comfortable), but they will do the job down to a certain point (which I would say is 30* F, but that's just my opinion).

Look into the Snugpak blanket underquilt - weighs a ton (52 oz.) but you might be able to find them in Canada on sale.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/hammock-under-blanket

They seem to have a 2-month ship date right now, but those who don't care about weight seem to like them.
    That actually might be perfect... Thanks for the link, I'll need to look into it more. For now due to my back hiking won't be a thing for a while, so it'll just be from the truck to the trees which means this won't be a problem.
    Last edited by GregoryB; 06-03-2016 at 00:05.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    have the Reactor plus (1 down from extreme) and while it adds a bit of warmth it seems to be sectioned for warmer/cooler spots. I was left a bit disappointed and either should have gotten the extreme or something else. On a warmish afternoon if I'm using it in a hammock its good for taking the chill off but as something to remotely act in place of an undershirt save the $$$ and get some Reflectix.
    It might not be ideal but its cheap, you can make multiple items plus underpass for the 2 of you and it weighs nothing. We find we use the Reflectix in the base of our backpacks to ensure no water gets to the sleeping bag compartment, as a windstop for cooking, clean spot to set gear, etc. Hopefully that helps and frankly I don't have$500+ to shell out on a pair of incubators either but someday I will have one.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    We find we use the Reflectix in the base of our backpacks to ensure no water gets to the sleeping bag compartment, as a windstop for cooking. . . .
    Reflectix is NOT a good windscreen since it's extremely flammable!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast