DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I have two white pines in the backyard that I hang from for 1-2 nights a month. They are very familiar with my 1-inch webbing. There is some glossiness on the bark where the straps go, which I'm sure means that at least the outer layers of bark have been affected in some way. I held a straight edge up and down along the tree today and it doesn't appear that all of those hangs have created an indentation in the bark. Plus, if you don't actually wrap the webbing fully around the tree but instead use a Dutch clip, caribiner, or something similar, you're only putting pressure on about 80% of the circumference. Still, I wouldn't want to put regular wear on bark that didn't belong to a tree on my property. Girdling a tree a good thing for us all to be thinking about, but I'm thinking we're OK in most cases.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Quick thought re vertical toggles, how about putting a bunch of rubber O rings (or similar) on the straps
    The o-rings would need to be pretty big in diameter to work well. The vertical toggles would only work this way if they kept the webbing away from direct contact with the tree. If you have too many small toggles like this, then it is the same as having something horizontal. If you have too few, then the webbing goes around the toggles, but still hits the tree in-between the toggles. The right size would depend on the diameter of the tree, and since I don't know which tree I'm going to hang from ahead of time, there isn't a right answer to the correct size or number of vertical toggles.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I'm wondering if the damage can be caused in one or two nights? I'm sure that prolonged use would not be good for the tree.

Would damage to the soft areas be immediately noticeable? I'm thinking that I would be going back to the same areas and using the same trees over and over. If I never went back, would I notice the damage? I don't want to ruin my favorite sites. Even if no one else goes there, I GO THERE, and I don't want to kill my support trees.
    I've looked at places that I've returned to, and that I've just left and I've never seen any damage.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    One of my tarps is hung on 1/2" webbing, and the rest will be too, eventually.

If it ever comes up with a park ranger, I feel like it will be easier to make the case that I'm being careful and concientious.
    Great idea!!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    After reading this, I remember noticing a sheen on the bark after removing the straps. I went out and checked the two trees in my yard where I have slept two nights. I didn't see any signs of damage and can't tell where the straps were. I see where woodpeckers have done a little damage but I doubt it will kill these liveoak trees.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I worry about the damage I do to trees as well. As best I can tell, a typical tree can easily handle one or two nights of hammock hanging, but not every weekend for several months. I've seen a lot of regularly used camping sites with two dead or dying trees because of too many things tied up to them. Can't usually tell if the past users were using rope instead of webbing, etc. or what was being hung from them. I think one inch webbing will minimize the damage, but no matter what we use, some damage will be done. I've tried wider staps, but it's harder to carry and I'm not conviced a two inch wide strap will in fact use all two inches to spread the load.

We have to balance out the damage we do to trees with the damage we would be doing if we were all in tents damaging anything and everything we're lying down on.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I worry about the damage I do to trees as well. As best I can tell, a typical tree can easily handle one or two nights of hammock hanging, but not every weekend for several months. I've seen a lot of regularly used camping sites with two dead or dying trees because of too many things tied up to them. Can't usually tell if the past users were using rope instead of webbing, etc. or what was being hung from them. I think one inch webbing will minimize the damage, but no matter what we use, some damage will be done. I've tried wider staps, but it's harder to carry and I'm not conviced a two inch wide strap will in fact use all two inches to spread the load.

We have to balance out the damage we do to trees with the damage we would be doing if we were all in tents damaging anything and everything we're lying down on.
    I'm not disagreeing, at all, but it's worth noting that camping sites are tough on trees in other ways, too. Erosion is one...you don't even see the root collar in natural settings, but it will be quite evident in areas that are heavily used. Soil compaction is another tree killer...those trees gotta breathe!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've seen barbed wire embedded in otherwise healthy trees ... apparently wrapped around it years ago. The damage done to a tree by a strap (or even a rope) during an 8 hour period is cosmetic (IMHO). In searching the web, I can find no data to say otherwise. Does anyone have a link to any studies that supports more serious harm to trees based on short exposures to rope wrapping?

I use 1" straps based on LNT philosophy, not because I think I'm harming a tree.
    Am I a hammocker heretic?
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    no- heretics put giant eyebolts into trees to hang from.

(Anathema Sit!)
    Last edited by KerMegan; 12-21-2009 at 09:33.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Related thread

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast