Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    AC, perhaps you are looking at all this as finished product, or completed research. It's just the opposite. I'm messing with stuff...

In The Wind in the Willows, Ratty said to Mole "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Works for hammocks and making gear too!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    AC, perhaps you are looking at all this as finished product, or completed research. It's just the opposite. I'm messing with stuff...

In The Wind in the Willows, Ratty said to Mole "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Works for hammocks and making gear too!

- MacEntyre
    Exactly right... how many failures did Edison have before a lightbulb actually worked?

It's in testing and tweaking and trying any crazy idea that moves us ahead. And then... once we've gotten it all figured out someone else tweaks and tries some other new crazy idea and we find we perhaps hadn't had it all figured out.

It's a fun process. It's one of the things I enjoy most about hammock camping - it's still so much an unfinished system that it lends itself to great innovation.

Keep up the trying, testing, failing, trying again...
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

I'm waiting on the results because I don't have the $$ to go to Down UQ/OQ. So i'm waiting on a cheaper UQ/OQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Exactly right... how many failures did Edison have before a lightbulb actually worked?

It's in testing and tweaking and trying any crazy idea that moves us ahead. And then... once we've gotten it all figured out someone else tweaks and tries some other new crazy idea and we find we perhaps hadn't had it all figured out.

It's a fun process. It's one of the things I enjoy most about hammock camping - it's still so much an unfinished system that it lends itself to great innovation.

Keep up the trying, testing, failing, trying again...
    I've tested my fair share of dead-ends in the hammocking world (as my wife and friends can attest)
    Heck, my friend finn is the king of off the wall crazy ideas...
    But you guys are right, who am I to ask a question. You know, a simple question of How is this material different than other known insulations?
    Blaze the path so I might someday understand and be enlightened.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Mac, once you had sewn the pieces of the UQ together was the resulting fabric laminate noisy or stiff in any way? I have a friend who is sewing up one of my insultex projects who is telling me that it is too unwieldy for use in garments.

The project in question is a shawl for my Grandmother, who gets cold very easily but refuses to wear heavy or bulky cold weather clothing. The idea was to sandwich the insultex between 2 layers of fleece or fleece and some sort of nice patterned blanket fabric, but this plan seems to be unraveling pretty quickly. I needed fabric nice enough that my Grandma could wear this over formal wear to church if she chose to, but warm enough she could also wear it to walk on the beach if it is windy. Any advice you or any others could give me in this regard would be most welcome, I would very much like to have this done before Christmas. Thank you.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonofdoubt View Post
    Mac, once you had sewn the pieces of the UQ together was the resulting fabric laminate noisy or stiff in any way?
    Not noisy, but just a little stiff. The center layer is the same thin foam as you would find in sheets with a VCR wen you take it out of the original box.

I have a friend who is sewing up one of my insultex projects who is telling me that it is too unwieldy for use in garments.
    I disagree. I was unaware of the single layer vest plus sleeves that I had on last weekend while deer hunting.

The project in question is a shawl for my Grandmother... The idea was to sandwich the insultex between 2 layers of ...fabric nice enough that my Grandma could wear this over formal wear to church...
    I think that is a good use of Insultex. However, it is not going to crumple like a wool or acrylic shawl will. Perhaps a light, short cloak would be a better name for what you are making...?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

I agree with Mac, I use my Insultex UQ extender as a cover when taking a nap - uuuhhhh doing research on the couch-- and it drapes over me quite well. It is 2 layers of Insultex and 2 layers of 1.1 ripstop.

For the shawl, I would look for a lighter weight fabric for the outside layers. Avoid folding the insultex as that will cause it to bulk up very quickly.

Hammock
    Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find in lighter shell fabrics, though the fleece is actually pretty light. If for whatever reason the Insultex doesn't quite work for this, what do yall think about using some silnylon in lieu of insultex between the shell fabrics (fleece and cotton knit) for warmth/windblocking? Any suggestions/ideas would be most helpful.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Here is what I learned this weekend...

My Insultex vest worked very well at 21*F.

The Warm Thing UQs worked very well. They were far more insulation than was needed in 21*F. They could have been better fitted, but they did the trick nonetheless. The Things were fully clothed when they turned in. They were cold only when they kicked off their top quilts. I had to get up three times during the night to fix top qulits, once for Thing1 and twice for Thing2. Each time, I asked if they were cold underneath, and they assured me they were not.

The first time I got up during the night, I had cold spots. I placed a yard of raw Insultex between my PeaPod and hammock, which had the effect of instantly eliminating cold spots. After adding it, I never had cold spots again, even when I got into a cold PeaPod after fixing up the Things' top quilts.

I traded a yard of raw Insultex to Wisenber to experiment with his PeaPod. Cooldays aslo now has one for his UQ, which he may have tried last night.

I believe it may be possible to make a cold weather UQ using Insultex only. It will have to be fitted with darts, but it won't weigh much. There is no way to tell how cold one can go without trying it, but after this weekend, I believe it is worth trying!

I think an Insultex layer between you and your down Top Blanket would be a good setup, and I'll try that at the next opportunity.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Any problems with condensation? Thats the biggest thing I've been worrying about with this stuff, haven't had the chance to do much testing for myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast