Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Hammock setup for newbie

I've got a backpacking trip in the Uintas coming up here in a few months and have been really tossing around the idea of elevated camping . I have a cheapo Equip hammock that I've messed around with at home and can get a very comfortable diagonal lay, but found it to be too short/narrow for a full night's sleep. After extensively researching hammocks, watching countless Shug videos, and perusing almost every hammock vendor known to man, I've essentially developed paralysis via analysis, so I'm hoping to get a few straight answers to help me sort through things.

First, I'm 6'2 and 207 lbs. with fairly wide shoulders. I'm favoring comfort over weight, but still need to be able to pack my hammock gear down to a reasonable size. I'm leaning towards underquilts as Utah weather is unpredictable and can get cold quick. While I will probably eventually get into DIY gear, as I enjoy tinkering, I really don't have the time to do much of that at the moment. I also don't want to spend a fortune getting started.

So, any thoughts on particular set ups? Has anyone tried the Arrowhead Equipment New Hanger package? I'm seriously considering this package because it's got everything but the tarp for what appears to be a reasonably good price. Not sure I'm sold on the half bugnet though.

If you've read this far, thank you .
    I look forward to reading your responses.

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Go to his website and chat, he is very helpful.

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    Depends on what you mean by "spend a fortune". Any underquilt is going to be more expensive than the pad you already have (or even a new $50 pad). A hammock will run you between 100 and 200 dollars. A tarp is going to be around the same, but maybe 30 bucks less on either end. An underquilt will again be around the same, maybe 150 to 250.

So on the higher end we're looking at 200+170+250=620, and the lower end we're looking at 100+70+150=320.

I'd go for one of the nicer Dream Hammocks, maybe skimp on the tarp, get a synth underquilt from Loco Libre.

That setup is 200+70+~130=400.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Gmac, First welcome to the forums. Second come on up here to Idaho in a couple weeks for our Meat and Greet Pot Luck hang and you can check a bunch of gear (ours included) out in person and give some of it a try. No better way to see what works than to actually see, feel and test it for your self. There are several UT folks coming up. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/hammock-hangs.html

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Paul is right...sign up for a hang, and let them know you are a potential convert who would like to try it out.

My wife and I did that, and when we arrived, they had two hammocks fully rigged, UQ and TQ already there, and with tarps deployed. We slept in them that night and were hooked. It was nice to try it before taking the monetary plunge.

I was trying to imagine letting people use my tent and sleeping bag to try...it just isn't done by ground dwellers, but hammock people are very good about it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My wife and I did that,
    and at the next hang they showed up with all their new hammock gear
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My wife and I did that,
    and at the next hang they showed up with all their new hammock gear

Always good for folks new to hanging or just wanting to learn more to attend ( or visit ) a group hang in their area to learn what they are getting into.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Agree with what's been said already.
    I just jumped in and started making them using the tablecloth method to get started. Did end up picking up a few others with integrated bug nets.
    Still using crappy tarps and sleeping bags but I'm not packing it in so... it works.
    Like Gunner said, if you can at least visit a hang you won't be disappointed with what you learn first hand.

I knew that I did not want to spend a fortune, but I wanted comfort. I opted for the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, a 1/2 in CCF pad and the Chinook tarp off amazon. My first outing was this past weekend for 3 nights and I was extremely impressed! We saw temps as low as 29F, and the CCF pad did a great job keeping me warm from under. The foam pad does not roll up very small, but easy enough to strap it on for me.

WBRR (double layer) shipped- 230.00

30"x84'x1/2" CCF pad-18.00 at local foam and fabric

Chinook 12'x9.5'-55.00 from Amazon

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Without too much time for a DIY, a modest budget and not too much worry over weight, here's what I'd strongly consider.

Double layer hammock 11'+
    Arrowhead cinch buckle suspension (my absolute favorite)
    Fronkey style bug net
    CCF pad
    Chinook or Noah's 12 tarp.

Been using this setup for a long time. Most of my excursions have a vehicle involved...car, kayak or canoe....and reasonably short hikes. I'm about durability, comfort, cost, and weight in that order.

If you want more specifics, send a PM, happy to give my amateur opinions and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast