Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for all the feedback. I probably won't have time to get to a group hang soon, but I like the idea. After reading suggestions, I'm finding myself more drawn to the WBRR + CCF option as it seems like a fairly low hassle set up and easy to keep things in place. (it kind of reminds me of a suspended 1 man tent). I do wonder whether it will be wide enough. I also really like the idea of an 11ft gathered end hammock as I think that would be extremely comfortable for lounging around camp, etc. Any thoughts on whether folks prefer integrated bug nets? I could see it being useful for keeping things in, but might be kind of a pain when using the hammock as a chair around camp.

I went the CCf route because I could get it 30" wide versus a much producer inflatable that is only 26". I just tapered mine from 30 (head) to 28 at the foot, but some people cut theirs in an hour glass shape. If you find a foam and fabric place, they may custom cut a piece even wider.

Pricier, not "producer"

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Not a fan of integrated bug nets. If I got one, it would have to be removable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the option of the bug net on the RR, zips off 3 sides and can roll up into the stuff sack at the foot end. Nice to have it when you need it and put it away when you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCchris View Post
    I went the CCf route because I could get it 30" wide versus a much producer inflatable that is only 26". I just tapered mine from 30 (head) to 28 at the foot, but some people cut theirs in an hour glass shape. If you find a foam and fabric place, they may custom cut a piece even wider.
    Just out of curiosity, what's your height and weight? Do you find the RR to be more tippy than gathered end hammocks?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I am 6'1" 195lbs

I don't have much experience with any hammocks other than the RR. We did buy a cheap gathered end for the lawn, but Ive only laid in it for about 10 minutes.

To me, the RR is kind of like being in a canoe, if you panic a bit, it feels tippy. if you just relax, its perfectly fine. After I ordered it I continued to read about the "tippyness" of this hammock and made me a little concerned, but now after only spending 4 nights in it, its not a concern anymore. If it starts to rock, just stick one leg out, kinda like a figure 4, that solves the whole problem.

The first 3 nights in it, I used a mummy bag unzipped as a TQ, the 4th night was going to be cold (29 actually) and my bag is a 40 degree bag so I zipped it up. I was concerned because I wouldn't be able to widen my lay and tho0ught it would be more tippy. It wasn't a problem at all, I laid flat on my back and straight down the middle with no problem at all.

Hope that makes sense. Also, if you would like, you can remove the small section of the head spreader bar tho deepen the hammock a bit, some say this makes it less tippy.

Chris

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmac55 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what's your height and weight? Do you find the RR to be more tippy than gathered end hammocks
    It's different... WNCChris's analogy of a Canoe is perfect. Once you get the feel of it you can toss and turn all you want and it does not phase you....least not me. Gathered ends certainly feel different and move a bit different than a bridge. Again if you can get away for the weekend I will have at least one of our hammocks set up, at least one RidgeRunner, at least one BlackBird, a Lawson BlueRidge and who knows what else all set up at the hang to play with.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Thanks for the responses. I just dropped some $$ for the RR, so I'll let you know how things go when I get it. I'm liking the simplicity of the RR plus CCF option. I'll save the gathered end hammock for when i get some time to DIY.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Hey Gmac55,
    I am recently (well, last Oct) transplanted to Utah, and have begun to dabble up in the Uintas over the last couple weeks. Way too hot in SLC for this mountain lover. I have done a fair bit of hammock camping at this point, and my current setup includes a diy 3/4 length UQ. I must say that it can get chilly up at those high elevations, and I say do yourself a favor and go for a full length 3 season UQ. And by all means, get some kind of bug net! Enjoy your hanging, see you up there! I'll be the guy throwing around a blue tenkara rod!!!
    There is no try, only do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast