Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tarp Upgrade

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    The 2 hammocks would've been a perk, and it's not a deal breaker. 12' is winning out in my mind right now and I suppose I could technically shorten it later if I really wanted to. I like the benefits of the silpoly fabrics over silnylon. Now i'm wondering if the weight savings for 1.1 over 1.6 is worth the extra $... so many decisions

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Tarp Upgrade

$10.80 (I used 9 yards total since I wasn't using fabric reinforcement or cord pockets and had noseeum mesh for my stuff sack). Weight savings is pretty minimal but amounts to several ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Im making a 11 rectangle with doors on one end out of dutches new 5300 xenon. Have it cut out right now and tomorrow will be bonding reinforcements to it. So far it weights a little more then my 12 foot silnylon hex that i made a few years back and i dont expect it to break 20 oz right now. And i love the extra waterproofness of the fabric.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Im making a 11 rectangle with doors on one end out of dutches new 5300 xenon. Have it cut out right now and tomorrow will be bonding reinforcements to it. So far it weights a little more then my 12 foot silnylon hex that i made a few years back and i dont expect it to break 20 oz right now. And i love the extra waterproofness of the fabric.
    I've been looking at that fabric as well and really considering it. Price seems good too. Also would love to see pics of your tarp.
    Last edited by jabraso; 05-19-2016 at 15:27.

Im hoping to be done by monday for the storms that are predicted. Ill post picks as soon as i can. The fabric is really nice to work with and was easy to cut.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I have used xenon sil 5300 for tarps, its a great fabric, really easy to work with. Holds a fold for me its inbetween cuben fibre and silnylon. My goto tarp fabric now.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Just ordered everything from makeyourgear.com taking advantage of their 20% off fabric sale. I went with the xenon sil 5300 in dark olive. Now the waiting begins.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Style Question

Just a style question. I was unable to find thread to match my tarp fabric (dark olive) so I went with black to match my reinforcement patches. Since my Sewing skills result in neither beautiful, symmetric, nor aesthetically pleasing stitches would it be better to pitch the tarp with the reinforcement patches showing instead of the inside? I guess the tarp could be used either way if seam sealed inside and out, I just wonder what other DIYers do. Maybe I should be proud of my own gear and flaunt it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I have used xenon sil 5300 for tarps, its a great fabric, really easy to work with. Holds a fold for me its inbetween cuben fibre and silnylon. My goto tarp fabric now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    Just ordered everything from makeyourgear.com taking advantage of their 20% off fabric sale. I went with the xenon sil 5300 in dark olive. Now the waiting begins.

I don't know anything about the Xenon fabric but did note the three different weights. Can I ask why you guys are using the 5300 instead of the others? Just wondering.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    I don't know anything about the Xenon fabric but did note the three different weights. Can I ask why you guys are using the 5300 instead of the others? Just wondering.
    I bought it because it seemed a good balance of cost and quality. It was the same price as the Xenon 1.1 but slightly lighter and more waterproof. Also it was cheaper than the Xenon .9 and doesn't stretch like sil-nylon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast