Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Camping Tents Toxic? Duke Study Reveals Troubling Chemical Exposure

https://gearjunkie.com/toxic-tents-d...posure-camping

Link to article talking about toxicity in fabrics commonly used in tents. I've never read that "fire retardent" coatings are used by any of our cottage vendors or any of the DIY fabric suppliers many of us use.

Another reason to be in a hammock.
    Last edited by brianb; 05-18-2016 at 12:52.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Heard about that. Glad I have elevated my perspective =)

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Actually, the article doesn't touch on the subject of toxicity at all. Toxicity is best summed up in the First Law of Toxicology - The dose makes the poison.

Too much of ANYTHING is toxic, so the question becomes, "how much is too much?" The article ignores that question, perhaps the study did as well. We can fairly safely assume that relatively small amounts of the carcinogens (technically, being carcinogenic is different from being toxic, but we can dive down that rabbit hole some other day) present some risk, but what amounts, and how much risk? Simply detecting something means barely more than squat.

Why does this matter? Because fear mongering can destroy businesses and even industries. Oh, and lead to the deaths of hundreds of millions of people.

Every year, for the last 10+ years, the average American has consumed enough arsenic to kill a horse. There's still more than 300 million of us. I'll leave it to you to consider the implications of that when "eek, toxins!!!!" is the battle cry.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Good eye, brianb, I don't doubt it-- And have you been making more gear? I hope your knee is healing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDad View Post
    Actually, the article doesn't touch on the subject of toxicity at all. Toxicity is best summed up in the First Law of Toxicology - The dose makes the poison.

Too much of ANYTHING is toxic, so the question becomes, "how much is too much?" The article ignores that question, perhaps the study did as well. We can fairly safely assume that relatively small amounts of the carcinogens (technically, being carcinogenic is different from being toxic, but we can dive down that rabbit hole some other day) present some risk, but what amounts, and how much risk? Simply detecting something means barely more than squat.

Why does this matter? Because fear mongering can destroy businesses and even industries. Oh, and lead to the deaths of hundreds of millions of people.

Every year, for the last 10+ years, the average American has consumed enough arsenic to kill a horse. There's still more than 300 million of us. I'll leave it to you to consider the implications of that when "eek, toxins!!!!" is the battle cry.
    You raise a good question about levels. This might help explain why as soon as my wife gets in a tent she starts to have asthma problems. She is more sensitive to toxins and it very well may be the fire retardants.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction

The light of knowledge and reason gets directed at issues like this way too seldom.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Too much of ANYTHING is toxic, so the question becomes, "how much is too much?"
    Good point. I've heard of people dying from drinking too much water (too fast). Crazy!

• + New Posts