Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

Silk DL gathered end hammock

I just received my 7 yards of 10mm Habotai silk today. I'm pretty new to the DIY stuff, so I'm looking for some suggestions. I'd like to make a DL hammock out of it.

Unfortunately, it is only 54" wide. It's all in one piece as well. In making a DL hammock, do I need to hem both ends or can I just fold it in half long ways and hem the two lose ends?

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to have this one done in time for this weekend at Turkeypen Gap.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    54 wide is fine and yes, fold and hem, all the way around all four sides for a more finished look. Still need to triple up the material at the gathered ends, so your supension has something to grab. Or sew in channels.

All depends on what "style of whipping and gathering your going to do, of course. And if you want to leave an opening in the double layer to put a pad.

Good luck, dont rush it and take your time, if your new wait till after the hang. You might see some good ideas and want to change your plans. Rushing thru a project, may lead to unneccessary mistakes. That silk sounds real nice. do it right.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    54 wide is fine and yes, fold and hem, all the way around all four sides for a more finished look. Still need to triple up the material at the gathered ends, so your supension has something to grab. Or sew in channels.

All depends on what "style of whipping and gathering your going to do, of course. And if you want to leave an opening in the double layer to put a pad.

Good luck, dont rush it and take your time, if your new wait till after the hang. You might see some good ideas and want to change your plans. Rushing thru a project, may lead to unneccessary mistakes. That silk sounds real nice. do it right.
    I was looking at leaving room to insert a pad between the layers. I had considered sewing an opposing "L" on each end leaving the last third or half open on each side. That would leave an opening on one side of each opposing end..

I had not considered needing a channel on the uncut end for a "bight" for the whipping to catch better. Thanks for the heads up.

After doing a bit more digging and consideration, I'll probably give myself a bit more time to think about it rather than rushing one for this weekend.

• + New Posts