Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Options to many options!!!!

Please help! I am wanting to be WARM! @ 20 deg. I am looking at the winter yeti. I would like to stay with a short UQ But let me get this rite the warmer the underquilt the less top insulation I need? Maybe a JRB hudson river? A no sniveller TQ? Or go a little deeper a rocky mountain or a old rag mountain? These things are not cheap and I have plenty of good bags already but I want the weight advantage of the TQ and dont need to blow money on a 20deg. rated quilt thats not.

I just need this to be an informed purchase.
    What TQ/UQ combos can yall think of that would be a VERY capable setup @ 20deg.
    If a full length is the way to get this done then so be it!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    One of the many advantages of being a Hammock Forums member is being able to talk with gear manufacturers/vendors who are not only active in the field but also active on this site. I had much success discussing my needs with the Jacks (Peter_Pan & Smee) who helped me develop a very capable solution that could easily take me to 20 degrees.

So don't be afraid to reach out with PM or a telephone call to the vendors you are interested. From my experience, I am sure you will find them helpful and friendly.

Images
    the winter yeti should take an avg sleeper to the single digits maybe better, it's baffled to 3.5" and has overstuff built in.

if you're warm-avg sleeper you might be ok with a 3 season topquilt at 20deg, those are often rated right at 20deg, if you're a cold sleeper you might not be warm at 20, if you're a warm sleeper you might take it to 15.

a good quality 3/8" ccf leg pad would probably do 20 deg or better.

you can defiantley be toasty with a torso uq+leg pad combo, but keep in mind that it's the whole combo that keeps you warm.

are you a warm or a cold sleeper? or avg?

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am a cold sleeper for s ure. For scale my NF cats meow rated to 20deg. Will keep me warm @ 25 if I am clothed and a fleece on. I am pretty sure I am going to need a real winter quilt old rag or something like that. Is there any others out there that have tried Tewa top quilt good/bad? any others?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I am a cold sleeper for s ure. For scale my NF cats meow rated to 20deg. Will keep me warm @ 25 if I am clothed and a fleece on. I am pretty sure I am going to need a real winter quilt old rag or something like that. Is there any others out there that have tried Tewa top quilt good/bad? any others?
    based on this info, I'd recommend the winter Yeti and JRB Old Rag Mtn
    I'm a warm sleeper, but my combo of this (replace ORM with my DIY but they use the same down) and at 22*F I was in tshirt and boxers, warm as toast
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    TN ive been going over the same thing for the past few months. I am a cold sleeper and wanted to have a combo to take me into the 20's figuring that it would keep me warm in the 30's. Although I have no field experience with a hammock or TQ/UQ yet...what I decided on (with the great help of my new HF friends) is that I am going for the Old Rag over stuffed 1oz, and either the winter yeti or the te-wa winter coat. The Te-Wa is a bit longer but I really like what ive heard and read about the Yeti suspension system (So I have to decide on one but from what I have read both keep you just as warm its just what little features you like about one or the other). Remember when your sleeping you can always vent if you get warm but you may not have more insulation if you get cold. I always plan to be way warmer then the weather is supposed to be. I learned that the hard way this summer when I got caught in a summer hail storm in Yellowstone in 20 degree weather with a 40 degree lafuma bag....bbbbbrrrrr wont make that mistake again.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Such a subjective topic. I've gone to 20F using a sleeping bag rated to -30F and just a single CCF pad, honestly it was a fantastic night's sleep- overly warm if anything. I've also been quite comfortable using a Eureka Casper +15 mummy bag and said CCF pad down to 32 or so (that was pretty much the limit on that setup though).

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I go against the common strategy of using a sleeping bag like a quilt, I find I do much better if I zip it up all the way and tighten the hood around my face (I only use mummy bags these days). I know the insulation compressed under my weight isn't doing much, but I feel that the way I'm sealed inside the bag is important <shrugs>. Quilts just seem too "leaky", to me.

Being a warm sleeper, my experience is that, using a single CCF pad you can take about 15-20 degrees off the rating of a given sleeping bag when used in the hammock (i.e. limiting my 15 bag to 30 or so degrees). I have a full-length UQ heading my way for Xmas, my hope is that using this along with TWO CCF pads will allow me to use my sleeping bags down to their advertised range... but I won't know much about this until sometime in January

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely don't forget serious head insulation for these temps. A 20F quilt with a little fleece beanie on your head will leave you shivering. I use the JRB Hood but there are other options out there now...a couple extra ounces on your head will add serious capability to your temps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Definitely don't forget serious head insulation for these temps. A 20F quilt with a little fleece beanie on your head will leave you shivering. I use the JRB Hood but there are other options out there now...a couple extra ounces on your head will add serious capability to your temps.
    Good advice. A lot of heat goes out through top of the head. Keep it warm and the rest of you follows.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Images
    good points, no matter what uq you get, you'll want a small pillow and warm hat for cold weather.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast