Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    Sorry if someone has brought this up already, but it doesn't look to me like an Opsak was used. I could be wrong. To me it's consistent with what Ursack said will happen if a bear gets it. I'm a little impressed to see how well it held up to a bear actually getting it in its claws, because it's not absolutely destroyed.
    I have an Ursack and I really like it. Honestly, your photos increase my faith in it.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Ursack works as well as bear canisters, from what I've read. Bears have figured out bear canisters. Sometimes they just chuck them off a cliff to get inside. I've been using my Ursack for 4 or 5 years without problems.
    I know cannisters are required by the forest service in some areas, I also remember reading the ursack was not an acceptable stand in for the cannister, but that was a while ago, might have changed.
    I have the garcia cannister and that things a beast...it is also a beast to carry and its big, but it is sure convenient after dinner to just toss it into a nearby depression, away from streams, and know it will be there in the morning, toothpaste, food, etc not being touched by anything. Makes a great camp stool too

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY or JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB or HG
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle
    My condolences on the new Ursack... and I'm with the OP that this looks like a failure but I honestly don't have any experience with Ursacks following bear encounters --- only in pretty pictures and adverts. Given the mess left over and the hassle created, whether the Ursack performed acceptably is a bit subjective. Personally, I'd question the usefulness of a product when the OP's result is deemed a success. The collateral damage seems pretty high... but that's just me.

When I need to, I carry a Garcia, bought when the infamous Yellow-Yellow still roamed the Adirondack High Peaks and had cunningly figured out how to open BV500s! She visited my wife and I one night around dusk near Lake Colden and I felt like I was in the presence of a celebrity! I was sad to hear she ended her life rummaging garbage bins in a town somewhere before being shot and killed...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    To me, this example shows why I do not like the idea of the Urasack. If the bear finds it, the food is going to get crushed or punctured. Even if you do not care about the crushed part, do you really want to eat something that got punctured by a bear tooth or claw? If you get the aluminum insert, the weight is getting close to a bear can and you still have some risk of damage. Also, you can sit on a bear canister as a stool.

As for hanging, I think the main reason that the Park Service did not allow the Ursack in the Sierras (after first giving it a go) was because many people decided to hang it instead of tying it to a tree to try to avoid this kind of problem. Well, as I am sure many of you know, unless you hang just right, the bear can probably get your bag if it really wants to. If it gets the Ursack down, it can carry it away and probably get a few good tastes and with enough time can probably get in it. Regardless, if the bear gets the bag and it is now moveable, there is no way you are getting it back.

Since I spend most of my camping in the Sierra Nevada, I decided it was worth it to buy a Bearikade a couple years ago. To me worth every penny. I just don't worry about my food at night.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I always thought the "Just tie it to a tree" instructions were a bit,,,,,,, stupid. I'll be getting one for my next long hike, but will do the PCT hang of my food bag anyway, sort of a double protection I guess.
    The last trip on the AT, I got to 2 campsites where hanging spots were scarce. So having the ability to not hang seems a good idea, but I agree, this looks to me like a failure. Buyer Beware.
    BTW: the PCT way of hanging your bear bag ROCKS!!!! I used it a LOT on the AT this year & it is so easy & effective. FWIW though, I heard of bears (between McAffee knob & Lamberts Shelter in VA) this year simply climbing the tree, & then breaking the branch with a food bag (or 3?) on it, yea the bear fell, but they is tough critters, so. . . .
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I always thought the "Just tie it to a tree" instructions were a bit,,,,,,, stupid. I'll be getting one for my next long hike, but will do the PCT hang of my food bag anyway, sort of a double protection I guess.
    The last trip on the AT, I got to 2 campsites where hanging spots were scarce. So having the ability to not hang seems a good idea, but I agree, this looks to me like a failure. Buyer Beware.
    BTW: the PCT way of hanging your bear bag ROCKS!!!! I used it a LOT on the AT this year & it is so easy & effective. FWIW though, I heard of bears (between McAffee knob & Lamberts Shelter in VA) this year simply climbing the tree, & then breaking the branch with a food bag (or 3?) on it, yea the bear fell, but they is tough critters, so. . . .
    What is the PCT way of hanging your bag?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Easy...

https://youtu.be/qgBLDMuPuvE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Easy...

https://youtu.be/qgBLDMuPuvE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aha. Cool! Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Arrowhead sells a Bear Bag throw line rig.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVillage View Post
    Sorry if someone has brought this up already, but it doesn't look to me like an Opsak was used. I could be wrong. To me it's consistent with what Ursack said will happen if a bear gets it. I'm a little impressed to see how well it held up to a bear actually getting it in its claws, because it's not absolutely destroyed.
    I have an Ursack and I really like it. Honestly, your photos increase my faith in it.

Opsack was used..

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast