Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Anyone bringing snowshoes???

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I thought that the forecast snow depth would be upgraded. It's now forecast to be 6" on Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Anyone bringing snowshoes???
    I don't think I will. Even if it gets to the possible 10" it's still doable by foot. I'd be glad to follow in your shoeshoe tracks, thought. I just spoke to srestrepo and we're looking forward to a snowy night. Too bad we can't have a fire to sit around.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Coudnt make this trip but I expect a chilly trip report. Its currantly in the teens w/a steady 25mph wind w/gusts to 35/40 and blowing snow. Cant wait to see how they made out!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well, it was fairly chilly, I think it got to 19 where we were.

I'll let the others speak for themselves but everyone seemed to do fine. I did wake up rather cold at one point, I lay there cold for a while but when I put my light on, I realized that my UQ had crept up on one side, leaving the side facing the wind exposed down to the middle of my back or so. Fixed that easily, snugged it up a bit and I was back in my happy place.

We didn't get much snow, a couple inches I guess but there was ice underneath so the hike out was a little tricky. Not too shabby though, a couple close calls but nobody fell. I got a few cellphone pics which I'll pull later, hopefully the others got some better quality pics...

The snow on the tarp had an interesting effect. It would build up until it reached critical mass, and slide off all at once. The first time it happened it woke me and I thought my tarp was blowing off. Spooky.

Big thanks to Quoddy, Rilmoigan, and srestrepo for making the trek out to hang with me. I'm impressed that I got such a turnout for so late-notice a trip, in threatening weather forecasts... especially being a relative new-comer to the forums. Great bunch of guys!

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Coudnt make this trip but I expect a chilly trip report. Its currantly in the teens w/a steady 25mph wind w/gusts to 35/40 and blowing snow. Cant wait to see how they made out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

A Great Hang

As mentioned, we didn't get the 8 to 10 inches of snow that was expected, but we did get a few. The hike in was on the AT along the cliffs above the Housatonic River and there were great views all the way. We arrived at the area we were to hang, and set up fairly quickly since snow was expected shortly. Suppers were cooked and hot drinks made before the snow began. At about 9:30 PM we headed for our hammocks to see what kind of weather and temperatures the night would bring. I fell asleep fairly quickly but awoke after an hour with a cold spot in the middle of my back. I had no doubt what was causing it... the winter Yeti was too far up toward the head end and I was getting venting. Once moved back to where it should have been the rest of the night was warm, actually too warm for awhile. I ended up taking off my wool hat, venting my quilt, and taking off one layer of clothing.

I woke up, as usual, just after daylight began, had breakfast and coffee while I waited for the rest of the group to get up. I knew that they were awake and enjoying the warmth in their hammocks.

Once everyone had breakfast and packed, we headed back an easier route than the one we had used coming in. No one wanted to be walking along the cliff in snow and ice conditions. Although easier, with the newly fallen snow, it turned out to be just as scenic.

At the parking area we said our goodbyes and I know we're each thinking of where the next hang will be. Thanks to those who came, Rilmoigan, srestrepo and Festus Hagen. A special thanks to Festus (Rick) for setting this hike up. I sure enjoyed it.

Photos from the hang below. Pardon the poor quality of my Blackberry camera.

Last edited by Quoddy; 12-20-2009 at 15:36.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here are my few pictures. Anyone should be able to see them, no need to have a FB account.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=73b218f01f

And yes, not only did I lug a massively heavy rectangular 0 bag, and snowshoes I didn't use, I strapped a camp chair on my pack... 'cause that's how I roll.

Here's a history of the area a buddy of mine managed to dig up:

The homestead was purchased by a wealthy doctor, Dr. Dewitt Smith. They kept the grounds with nature in mind. For several years I plowed their garden plot for them. The interior of the house was beautifully redecorated, but all the exterior exposures were left intact. There were two different caretakers on the estate. The first was Mr. Leo Angelovich, and later Mr. Carl Vanscoy. For a few years they did mow and put up their own hay. A pair of white horses, Carriage horses, enjoyed the pastures. In later years the horses were boarded out in the winter at the Phillip Peet farm in North Kent. At one time they considered taking the two horses with them to Florida, where they always spent their winters. This did not ever come about. The horses were used only as carriage horses and then very little. All new harness and buggies were purchased but hardly ever used. Years later, while vacationing in the Gulf of Mexico, Dr. Smith was stricken and passed away.

For several years, Mrs. Smith and her elderly mother stayed on and enjoyed the farm. As the years added up they were forced to leave. First they stayed at the Valley View Motel nights and days at the farm. Later they left, never to return. Being so isolated the house was soon looted and it burned to the ground. The barns were stripped of all boards and beams, and now only the chimneys and foundation remain.

However, this farm has a very happy ending. About five years ago the Estate was purchased by the government and was added as part of the Appalachian Trail. Everyone is welcome to walk to the old Homestead, the trail leading to the Ten Mile River where it flows into the Housatonic. A footbridge has been erected so that you can cross the Ten Mile River into the section called Catrock. In a much earlier time, this site, called Catrock, was one of the favorite camping grounds of the Indians.

For reference, this was written over 20 years ago, and I believe that the last "recent" history in this paragraph, occurred 30 years before that.

Gerald

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    hey all, dont want to be repetitive, but it was a beautiful location, with a good group of guys.

Festus, Milroigan, Quoddy - can't thank you guys enough for showing up. it was a good time had by all.

Hammock
    wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles
    in that one picture is that a collapsed tent?

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Sure is. It's a lovely Ozark Trail tent (25 bucks or so at your favorite Wal-mart) http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...44440173347294 and it's been out there at least a month maybe more. Look inside, it's got a piece of junk sleeping bag, some cooking stuff, and a bag of trash in it. Nothing of any use.

It was still standing to some degree when we got there but the snow put a stake in it (so to speak). I kind of wonder if someone set it up sometime in November, tried to sleep in it, froze and/or got soaked, and went home, never to return.

I may just go back for a day hike this week with my GI duffel bag and a contractor bag to pack the junk out. Kind of bothers me that it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by ltruelove View Post
    in that one picture is that a collapsed tent?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up It was a GREAT trip!

The site (and the hike in) were great. Sebastian and Quoddy got the more scenic spots by the river. After dinner Richard, Sebastian and I walked up to the nearby AT shelter and perused some ancient farm plowing & tilling equipment, abandoned who knows how long ago. Learned some very good things, easily addressed about my winter setup and enjoyed a great spot with fellow hangers.

Oh, and in one of Sebastian's pics I am pointing out rabbit tracks in the snow going across the footbridge that deposits you at the campground.

An almost eight-hour drive from Kenduskeag, ME where I am (and where it was 4 degrees when I left Saturday morning to go hang in warmer climes) and TOTALLY worth it.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234