Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Got a "maybe" from a friend from another forum (I think he lurks here as well). Hoping he can make it. That's about it. I figure most people are busy right before the big holiday, but as for me, I could use a chance to get away from TV, internet, shopping, traffic all that and just decompress.

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    hey festus, is it just us 3 cold lovin fools or do we have any other takers?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up I'm in!

Oi, you lot; I'm coming from the Bangor, ME area. Got any directional info other than GPS coords? (I'm old-school -you know, MS Streets & Trips 2010)

Meeting in the parking lot at 2:00 PM, correct?
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Bangor... good grief that's far. 6 hours plus I'm guessing.

The location is in South Kent, CT, very near the intersection of Rt. 7 (Kent Road) and Bulls Bridge Road.

Assuming you come in on Rt. 7 from the north, you'd make a right (west) on Bulls Bridge Road. I think you cross a small concrete bridge, then a very old single-lane covered bridge. The parking area comes up within sight of the covered bridge, between the covered bridge and another concrete bridge.

More info on Bulls Bridge and the area... http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/bulls_bridge.html

And yes, 2pm is the planned meetup time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilmoigan View Post
    Oi, you lot; I'm coming from the Bangor, ME area. Got any directional info other than GPS coords? (I'm old-school -you know, MS Streets & Trips 2010)

Meeting in the parking lot at 2:00 PM, correct?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Yeah, I know

Bangor... good grief that's far. 6 hours plus I'm guessing.
    6 hours, 19 minutes according to MS Streets & Trips.

We must suffer for our recreation, er, "Art".
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    hey what kind of hammock is everyone bringing just out curiosity?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Q: "hey what kind of hammock is everyone bringing just out curiosity?"

A: I haven't decided just yet; I have my Hennessy Evader & Explorer UL en route from 2QZQ to me (had the #2 zipper mod done on both) and a WBBB I bought from a Forum member en route as well. If none of them show up before I have to light out Friday morning, I'll bring my Hennessy Exped 2.5 (Camo, of course) w/the #2 zipper mod.

I'm gettin' all antsy thinking about it...

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'll be using my one-and-only, the DD Traveler in my avatar along with a DD 3mX3m Tarp.

As we speak I'm trying to pre-stretch my Eno Slap-Straps "Pro", if this doesn't work it will probably be the last time I use them (as much as I like the idea, making them out of nylon that stretches like a rubber band was probably not the most intelligent choice). I hate waking up with my butt on the ground.

I keep going back-and-forth as to whether I'm going to try to get by with my Eureka Casper +15 mummy bag, or use a cheap Trekker 0 bag I just picked up. I'm sure I'd be more comfortable in the Trekker, but the difference in size and weight is astounding. Plus there is the challenge aspect. The coldest I've enjoyed sleeping in the Eureka in my hammock was 30 degrees, I'll have to come up with some tricks to improve on that.

There is a DD underblanket wrapped up under the tree, but as I don't get this until the 25th I'll be using one or two closed-cell foam pads between the double layers of the hammock (probably my favorite feature of the DD).

As always, the challenge in cold-weather backpacking is luxury vs. space and weight.

Here's the DD hung sans-tarp on a fair weather night, on a paddle trip somewhere near Lake Saranac.

<ETA> our other camper, Gerald will be using an EMS tent.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Right now I've got a 50% chance of being able to make it. By Wednesday evening I should know for sure.

srestrepo... (you've seen most of it before) I'll probably be using my WB Traveler, but may change my mind and use the BlackBird... just for the footbox. Since the weather looks good, but cold (12F), I'll probably stick to the MacCat Standard. If it's going to be very windy that could change to the DeLuxe. Insulation will be WB Winter Yeti, with reflector, for UQ, and a Nunatak custom winter TQ.

Looking forward to seeing everyone... if I can make it.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hmm, I've never seen a WB rig in person, now I might be seeing two (or more?). And me with a simple, symmetrical, gathered-end hammock.

This trip might get expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Right now I've got a 50% chance of being able to make it. By Wednesday evening I should know for sure.

srestrepo... (you've seen most of it before) I'll probably be using my WB Traveler, but may change my mind and use the BlackBird... just for the footbox. Since the weather looks good, but cold (12F), I'll probably stick to the MacCat Standard. If it's going to be very windy that could change to the DeLuxe. Insulation will be WB Winter Yeti, with reflector, for UQ, and a Nunatak custom winter TQ.

Looking forward to seeing everyone... if I can make it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    well i'll be soundly asleep in my WB dbl 1.7 with my all black maccat deluxe... 3 season yeti (thanks quoddy) and a quilt from redbeard... i'll pack in an inflatable therm a rest for good measure... and lots of layers...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast