Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Are 11'x60" and 10'x64 hammocks similar in comfort?

I'm looking to order a new hammock but I can't decide between a 10 or 11 for hammock. I'm 5'8" and can only sleep on my side in a hammock. I'm leaning towards a 10' because that would fit my existing UQ and tarp. But would invest in a new tarp if 11' is the way to go. Would getting a wider hammock, say 64 or 65", in 10 footer match the comfort on an 11'x60"? Or would 11'x65" be the ultimate in comfort? Thanks for any advice based on your experience.

I've found the single most important thing about being comfy cozy in a hammock is length. Besides the obvious variables like proper material for weight ratio, angle of hang, etc... If the hammock is 54 inches wide or better, a diagonal lay is easily obtained if the hammock is long enough. Excess width past about 64 inches is a waste to obtain the perfect lay. There is zero problem with a 60" wide hammock either. As long as it is long enough. In other words, Width of common sense, is of little factor in my experience. I like 'em long. 10' minimum. 11' is better.

It won't really change where you lay in a hammock as much as how you will lay in it. So, your current under quilt will work fine with an 11' hammock.

FWIW, I'm about 5 ft. 8.5 in. tall. God Bless

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Your underquilt will fit an 11' hammock fine. And many people here use an 11' tarp with an 11' hammock. You could always go with a 10.5' hammock, though. At my 5'4" I can't feel the difference to an 11' hammock. But maybe with 5'8" you can. While many people prefer 11' hammocks over 10', and quite a few like extra wide hammocks, it's still a matter of taste. Even if you get 100 answers, you still won't know which size will work best for you. Only one way to find out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The best dimensions for a hammock for me are 11' x 62-64". Another factor is the amount of stretch in the fabric. I like some in the hammock and have 1.0 and 1.1 rip stop. You might find less stretch better for side sleeping, but the width at 64" should help.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Banana Hammock
    Tarp
    Half Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 950Fill Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Becket
    At 6'4" I'm right at the edge of the hammock with my feet and head. Its a 11 and a half foot long by 58 inch wide diy out of 1.6 hyperD material. It's really comfortable but I would like to try wider fabric. The upside of the hammock width is lack of floppy material in my face. Came from a 13'x90" tablecloth hammock. Can almost get lost in the sea of fabric.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    The best dimensions for a hammock for me are 11' x 62-64". Another factor is the amount of stretch in the fabric. I like some in the hammock and have 1.0 and 1.1 rip stop. You might find less stretch better for side sleeping, but the width at 64" should help.
    +1 to that!

5'6" here.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm right at the edge with my feet and head in my 12' long 58" wide hammock. My feet occasionally fall off. In my 13' long 69" wide hammock I feel like I have plenty of room at each end. I'm 6' 4"" tall.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I can't speak too much for length. I have a Mayan and a 10' 1.1 gathered end hammock - two very different beasts. Saying that, my 10 foot hammock is 58" wide (I am 5'7.5), and I find it gives me that perfect balance for the diagonal needed to find that sweet spot. I'm a side sleeper too. I feel like I could easily grow another 5"-6" and still feel like there was just enough width, which is probably why the average width people go for is 60".

Would a longer hammock be more comfortable? Probably. What that does is increase the size of the actual bed area of the hammock. It's like going from a single mattress to a super single. Id that necessary for you for camping purposes? Only you can decide.

My decision to get a 10' hammock was partly based on the real estate needed to hang the hammock, the minimal distance needed to hang the hammock, and so too, the smaller tarp needed as compared to the 11'. I'm still very comfortable, and definitely SOOOO much more comfortable than on the ground. The slight weight difference was also a factor for this mild weight weenie.

Another factor to consider that I've read here recently is, the ridgeline of the hammock will be higher in an 11' hammock, so accessing whatever you have hanging on it might require you to sit up (I can reach my ridgeline organizer while laying down). On the other hand, you would have more headspace when using a bugnet.

So some things to consider....

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Here's a video I did a couple of years ago on hammock length vs. comfort.

That was a great video. It really expresses how much length dictates comfort in a hammock. And, it shows how the knee ridge hits just perfect, to support your knees, instead of stress them, with the diagonal lay you get in the longer hammocks.

I'm sure for the taller guys, a wider hammock might help. But, 6'1" isn't short either. This video simply proves that additional length, increasing the area you can achieve a flat lay, really is a defining variable. Much more so in my opinon, than over all width. God Bless

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast