Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Everything went well except..

Hello all, I hung out in my hammock last night for the first time. Got everything set up the way I wanted, albeit pretty slowly. It only got down to around 60 with no rain last night so there was no problem with temp and I only to used a costco top quilt. I did however have a problem with cicadas. I fell asleep around 11 and slept wonderfully until around 4. I woke up at 4, turned on my phone's flashlight to use the restroom and there were probably around 10-15 cicadas inside my fronkey. I'm pretty clueless as to what I did wrong. I was hanging rather low and part of my bug net was touching the ground. I figured that wouldn't be a big deal as the net cinched up tight against my hammock. The ends were also cinched up pretty tightly. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Tuned in as I'm planning on a Fronkey purchase within the next couple weeks. Did you inspect the net for any holes? I've no idea if cicadas can chew through this stuff, but just a thought.

*edit* I guess they don't' chew, but have several piercing components. Interested if they poked a hole in your netting.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'd start by getting the Fronkey net off the ground by hanging higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    Tuned in as I'm planning on a Fronkey purchase within the next couple weeks. Did you inspect the net for any holes? I've no idea if cicadas can chew through this stuff, but just a thought.

*edit* I guess they don't' chew, but have several piercing components. Interested if they poked a hole in your netting.
    I'm making adjustments and hanging again tonight so I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I'd start by getting the Fronkey net off the ground by hanging higher.
    That was my guess. Last night I figured it shouldn't matter since my net was cinched tightly around the hammock. I will try hanging higher and see.

Was out last night. Watched one crawl out if its shell.. they were falling on us all night. The nost disgusting things. When they crawled into your hammock theyre really small and skinny.. by morning theyre huge and have wings but they look like for legged red eyed maggots when they were crawling into your net.. probably slipped right under your bottom cinch while youre shifting your legs in your sleep.

Theyre going ham right now.. were in ever crevace of gear.. disgusting.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Lords - Were there empty nymph casings (skins) in your Fronkey net? I suspect they came out of the ground, grabbed your low hanging net and crawled on in to hatch out. Parts of your rig touching the ground invites visitors.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Fronkey on the ground? I've never had a setup where my Fronkey bugnet was on the ground. Something wrong with that setup.

You didn't spray the bugnet with permethrin? I don't know how a Fronkey bugnet works without permethrin because I've never tried it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    This is the 17 year swam

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    This is the 17 year swam
    Permethrin doesn't know squat about a 17-year swarm. It kills indiscriminately.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast