Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Yes there is a coating on amsteel, but it is made from UHMWPE which has a similar friction coefficient of Teflon.
    I thought the coating on Amsteel was Samthane, which is aromatic urethane:

Samthane™ Type S
    Spliceable coating used on HWMPE, olefin, and polyester fiber ropes. A coating that adds firmness and greatly improves wear life. The coating will add approximately 3-5% weight to the rope. Supplied on AmSteel®, AmSteel-Blue® and Tenex™ as a standard product. Available on other products per special order requirements.

http://www.iastage.com/samthane_coatings

From what I understand, the Samthane coating is what allows Amsteel to have a color. However, anyone who has used Amsteel knows that as the Samthane coating wears off, so does the color. Sometimes it wears off right on your hand as you're milking a bury.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-31-2016 at 23:04.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I thought the coating on Amsteel was Samthane, which is aromatic urethane:
    Sorry, my grammar made it confusing. I was referring to the material that amsteel is made from and not the coating.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm pretty sure the combination of slippery coating and the almost fluid like characteristic of amsteel (compression/deformation) contributes to it's lack of ability to hold a knot well.

Spent 2nd night in the setup unchanged from the night before without any problem. I haven't pulled them apart to examine the cord condition yet.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Spent 2nd night in the setup unchanged from the night before without any problem. I haven't pulled them apart to examine the cord condition yet.[/QUOTE]

Be Care full if your using 7/64 with the minies to hang off of, after only a couple hours the minutes frayed my 7/64 pretty bad. But I hope they work better for you:-)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Hoping to examine tonight. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm only about 150.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    UHMWPE is a poly olefin,poly olefin is an entire family of plastics that include ethelyen,butylene,propelene an a few others.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    Spent 2nd night in the setup unchanged from the night before without any problem. I haven't pulled them apart to examine the cord condition yet.
    Be Care full if your using 7/64 with the minies to hang off of, after only a couple hours the minutes frayed my 7/64 pretty bad. But I hope they work better for you:-)[/QUOTE]

The problem here is that the radius on the mini's is not large enough to produce a smooth transition for the line.

I mentioned this in another thread I started but others said it was a non existant problem.Basicly you need a small radius for the line to wrap around to minimize excessive compression and line damage under high loads like hammock hanging.
    For their intended use they would be fine on small dia. lines as much less loading
    I'm ordering a pair of Mini's soon but Tim recommends they not be used for hammock suspension

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Since the large cog with two half twists is so far holding, I'll probably stick with that anyway, pending cord inspection. Besides, I already have a bunch more large coming for the other three hangers in the house.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    First I have to make a correction to what I posted previously. I said that I setup the mini with two half twists. Actually, it was only one half twist backed up by a slippery loop(?). Sorry, I don't know what else it would be called. Anyhow, it's evident in the photos.
    cog-mini-slippery-nite2.jpg

This is after two consecutive nights. The large cog at the head end and the mini at the foot end. Both used 7/64 amsteel for the suspension lead and the hammock CL.

I inspected the cords last night and again today. Both the large and the mini exhibited quite a bit of compression, as expected. The compression of the cord on the mini naturally mirrored the sharper bends, but there is no visible damage. Once I massaged it back into shape it looked as good as new. Can't speak of internal damage though.

Observations regarding slippage: Though neither slipped noticeably over the two nights, there was a visible difference between the mini and large. The large had tensioned and compressed the whole of the backup 2nd half twist. On the mini, the backup didn't tighten at all beyond what I could get it to by hand initially. This seems to confirm what others have already stated about the tighter radius of the mini is superior as far as slippage goes.

Cord from the mini:
    mini-cord-massaged.jpg cog-mini-slippery-compression.jpg cog-mini-slippery-compression2.jpg

Large front and rear (again):
    cog-large-2-half-twists-front.jpg cog-large-2-half-twists-rear.jpg

It would be interesting to try what someone suggested in the earlier thread. A 3/16" thick mini. And to that I'd request slightly taller cog teeth, maybe 1/16". The taller teeth would give just a bit more insurance that the cord can't slip off and would also better accommodate 1/8" cord. This midi-cog could possibly have just enough radius to eliminate slippage of 7/64 and eliminate cord damage. It would be more compact and lighter than the large and carry a higher load than the mini, perhaps good enough for hanging. Then again, maybe the whole thing needs to be scaled up slightly with larger groove diameters. I dunno.

Regarding the thicker mini, I unfortunately have been swamped, leaving me little time to tinker, but I have crazy glued two unfinished minis together just to fiddle with, and the extra thickness actually held the rope on the teeth better, so not sure an increase in diameter would be necessary. I am leaning more towards the 1/4" over 3/16" as it should allow me to put a similar round over on it as the full size COG, where 3/16" would be tricky to put a useful size radius on. Also should place it more in a weigh capacity I would be comfortable recommending (and using myself) for hanging.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    COG Rope Clips
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast