UH 10.5' single
    Tarp
    JRB cat tarp
    Insulation
    Random, needs work
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Dutch

Preventing Frozen Butt Syndrome Options

I have been slowly getting into hammocking, and have developed a rig setup I really like, untill my last trip... For a while I was using a standard Klymit pad with a thinsulate sleeping bag liner around it for bottom insulation. But it would slide around and create hot and cold spots. So the last two trips this season I didn't bring it to save weight/space... At a 4000+ foot base camp I made out alright by layering up... But on a wet and windy October night in a valley I only got sleep by using a wool hoodie to literally save my butt.

I was think of making a wool poncho that could also function like PLUQ, but not a light option.
    Or maybe a tyvek sock for warmth bubble?

I swore by using a casualty blanket when ground camping, but
    I bet they would make a crummy UQ. While not cheap option, any buddy ever try using a Jerven Fjellduken as a sock?

Any thoughts or suggestions from the pros for a noob looking for cheap effective solutions?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There really isn't a good substitution for a down quilt set to stay warm in a hammock. Check out the Costco quilts as an inexpensive down option.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    About the best you are going to do with pads is either a Exped Downmat or the TR XTherm pads. These should get you down into the lower 20s. I use a hammocktent 90 degree hammock which really needs a pad for structure. If temps too cold, I can easily augment the pad with a down Costco throw or a converted sleeping bag UQ. I also prefer a pad in my DH Raven.

For cheap down you would need to consider a couple of Costco Throw blankies that you DIY into a UQ...plenty of examples in the Forum. Next level would be a synthetic UQ. Arrowhead Designs makes some nice ones, I had one for my WBRR, and I'm sure there are other vendors..JRB, Enlighten, etc...I just had experience with an Arrowhead. Next level would be an economy down UQ, and there are several vendors who have stepped into the econo market. Do a search on economy quilts. Lastly, there is the For Sale forum if you are fortunate to snag one.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Closed Cell Foam pads...cheap but they tend to shift and some people ( my wife ) has a problem with condensation, amount of insulation depends on how thick the pad is. Finding wide pad can be a problem

Reflectix...see above

Inflatable Air mattress... have to let most of air out, tend to shift

Blankets- laying on top of them decreases insulation value, will tend to move

Sleeping bag...laying on top of bag decreases insulation value

Socks...good at keeping wind off of you but does nothing to provide insulation under you.

Under Quilt--- Clamashield...excellent insulation even when wet, low cost compared to down, tends to be bulky compared to down when packed ---very comfortable

-----Down...excellent insulation, compressed small. can be pricy ---very comfortable

When The Terminator and first got into hammock camping, we spend a week long road trip camping in our new BB hammocks. We tried air mattress and CCF pad. When we got back I ordered UQs for us and have not gone back.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Can't beat a down underquilt. And with Loco Libre's Saver Series, Hammock Gear's Econ line, UGQ's 800fp option, and Wilderness Logic's Budget quilts, there's no reason not to go with an UQ- unless of course, you're allergic to down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Can't beat a down underquilt. And with Loco Libre's Saver Series, Hammock Gear's Econ line, UGQ's 800fp option, and Wilderness Logic's Budget quilts, there's no reason not to go with an UQ- unless of course, you're allergic to down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    You will never realize the full comfort potential of your hammock until you get a good underquilt. rweb82 lists some great options. There are good synthetic options as well that might save you a little money. Arrowhead Equipment and Loco Libre both offer quality synthetic products. Good luck!

Hammock
    UH 10.5' single
    Tarp
    JRB cat tarp
    Insulation
    Random, needs work
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Khloros View Post
    I have been slowly getting into hammocking, and have developed a rig setup I really like, untill my last trip... For a while I was using a standard Klymit pad with a thinsulate sleeping bag liner around it for bottom insulation. But it would slide around and create hot and cold spots. So the last two trips this season I didn't bring it to save weight/space... At a 4000+ foot base camp I made out alright by layering up... But on a wet and windy October night in a valley I only got sleep by using a wool hoodie to literally save my butt.

I was think of making a wool poncho that could also function like PLUQ, but not a light option.
    Or maybe a tyvek sock for warmth bubble?

I swore by using a casualty blanket when ground camping, but
    I bet they would make a crummy UQ. While not cheap option, any buddy ever try using a Jerven Fjellduken as a sock?

Any thoughts or suggestions from the pros for a noob looking for cheap effective solutions?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    The leg injury that got me into going light weight and sleeping in a hammock also has me avoiding the lower temps, but I know good UQ will be needed eventually.
    Looking into Macgyvering a serape/uq thing I could get a Snugpak Under Blanket for the same money, but the thing is 3lbs.
    Will have to looking at the DYI threads here more to get some ideas. Then again the tinker in me says replace the bulky cheapo top quilt I have been using with the serape idea and just get a cheapo premade under quilt...
    Thanks for the all the input.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Get yourself an AHE Jarbidge http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html It's about the least expensive option, and the best bang for the buck out there.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    An UQ will help a lot - a nice Christmas wish. I use the $100 AHE Jarbridge or the $50 SnugPak Underblanket.

I've made/used a Tyvek sock with good success. It's light but bulky - when using it I roll my hammock/TQ/UQ into a bed roll and tie it external to my pack.

Short answer - use soft tyvek (not house construction), easy to make (no sew - tape it up), adds about 20F to your insulation, blocks all wind, I keep my head/breath outside to prevent condensation. A car cover (used) works just as well if you can scrounge one up.

FYI - there are some pictures in my folder - click on my name to the left and select 'View Gallery Uploads'. I can provide some measurements if you want. The white sock is tyvek, the grey one is from a car cover.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe try an SPE ot Eno Hotspot on your pad......https://www.rei.com/product/830279/e...ping-pad-wings
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast