Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have been able to get a lot of ENO gear for way below MSRP, so I'll share that perspective since I am your exact size (5'9", 165). I find it all very comfortable, packable (I am not too concerned about every ounce), and can get very flat on a diagonal in these "short" hammocks. I cannot speak for most of the other manufacturers mentioned here (they sound great, too!), but I will say that with some good internetting and googling skills, you can find ENO stuff at really good prices. Quality, comfort and availability are good features. Have a blast with whatever you choose.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    I, by no means, have as much experience as other members on this forum but maybe my experience is worth some feedback.

1) Hammock:
    - ENO's are a gateway drug as far as I can tell. Doesn't mean you may not love one if you get it, just means you'll likely be looking to upgrade before long.
    - Hennessy (I own an Explorer Deluxe and Expedition) is a great option for something that's durable and includes a rainfly. I'd recommend, as others have, to upgrade to the larger Hex rainfly if you can. You may not be pleased with how little coverage the stock rainfly offers.
    - I see a lot of people recommending Dutch, which I've heard nothing but amazing things about, however I would recommend you take a quick look at all the different vendors on the bottom of the Hammock forum page. Each one has something unique to offer and you can always check Youtube for reviews. You'll find something that really fits what your priorities are and be happier with your final decision.
    The hammock market is really owned by cottage vendors and while that may not factor in your final decision, it's good to know up front. (i didn't)

2) Insulation:
    - Single Layer vs Double Layer -> If you have any interest in backpacking I'd say go with single layer. Weight in your pack may not be the 'biggest' issue to you but you're talking double the weight which can translate to a whole pound or more depending on the fabric.
    - I got by with an $11 closed cell reflective foam pad from REI Outlet at first. And it works perfectly fine. Maybe that's not the worst route to go while you find out whether or not you've been bit by the hammock bug. After that, I agree with everyone else. There's no competition for a down underquilt.

- 3) General Advice:
    * Learn how to tie different knots -- it WILL come in handy. These are a few good ones: Prusik knot, Marlin Spike Hitch, Siberian Hitch.

*Research different suspension set ups on Youtube. You'll get a great idea of what you think will work best for you. ie: continuous loop, cinch buckle, carabiner and rock climbing rings, whoopie slings

* Remember to think of the size of the trees where you'll be backpacking/camping when selecting your tree straps.

* DIY: Hammocking as a hobby is a rabbit hole. Once you're on your way down it's hard to stop, and with that comes quite a few expenses. If you know your way around a sewing machine or are interested in learning you can really help yourself out by crafting your own gear. Note: It may not be as 'cost effective' as you'd think but you can certainly build high quality gear for less. Check out Ripstopbytheroll and make your gear.com.

Well i think that concludes my dissertation. Probably all obvious things, but it's stuff I wish I would've known when I started.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Few more thoughts....

Whoopies are cool and all but often need to be fiddled with and are not necessarily good for shorter distances. Yes, they can work but for a newb, go with easy and reliable. Again, I simply cannot say enough good things about Arrowhead's cinch buckle system. I have three of them now and they are awesome...quick, easy, and no need for a backup hitch.

Pad never bothered me, although I do use a homemade underquilt now. If you are mostly lounging, using a pad for the occasional need should work just fine.

I can definitely see how a table cloth hammock would work and is economical but unless money is really tight, I would go with a Dutch or similar.

Get a fixed structural ridgeline. 110" for 11' hammock (standard). It really makes a big difference even for lounging.

When the time comes for a bugnet, a Fronkey style is the way to go...agreed.

The folks on this site are awesome. However, many of them are very focused on lightweight gear specifically for backpacking/camping and getting the whole camping package. Due to that focus they can sometime gloss over things like "lounging" as it just does not compute. So, IMHO start with a good 11' hammock, cinch buckle suspension and a fixed ridgeline. That setup can be adapted in pretty much any way you want from lounging to expeditions and it won't break the bank upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I agree with the comments saying you should avoid an ENO hammock. I had one for a single day before returning it. It was too small, too short, too heavy. They're cheap and easily available, but they're just not very good.

I've made all of my own hammocks until last month when I bought a Dutch Gear Half Wit with built in bug net. I think that's the most comfortable hammock I have so far. With the Dutch Clip/Dutch Buckle suspension it was well below your maximum price point.

I have a similar question. I've been sleeping in cheap hammocks (with no net) for the past 2 years and i am ready for a premium hammock with netting. I like what i hear about the blackbird XLC, but unsure if it is worth 2X the Dutch halfwit (and I am close to the 250lbs rating of the XLC while the Dutch hammock appears to be spec'ed much stronger)....what to do??

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My go to hammock these days is Dutch's Half wit. I find it extremely comfortable. I can slide the net out of the way when not needed. It comes ready to hang. I put kevlar straps on it with an adjustable buckle. I modified a Zpacks pack liner into a Bishop bag that holds all my sleep needs. Fast and easy to put up and put away. Even in warm weather I still cover myself in my topquilt so the half net is perfect for my sleep wants. I started with a Hennessey hammock and have nothing but good to say about it. Keep asking and reading you'll find something to start out in and inevitably upgrade once you get the hang of things.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

What materials would you recommend for the dutch hammocks? Hexon? Argon? Also benefits to the various weights? I'm looking at either the netless 11ft or the half-wit. Have any of you owned both? Do you prefer the 11ft with a full bug net over the half wit? I figure spending most of my time in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I probably will need a full bug net.

Also how easy is the whoopie hook suspension for setting up compared to the cinch buckle? And last question until someone responds .... Would you recommend getting the structural ridgeline?

Bang for your bug, Hennessey doesnt get much better. Theres lighter and theres more comfortable but best combo for the price, HH. Im partial since I just had a great experience with my new HH but I really dodnt think I was going to. Said it on video lol.

Heard you can find sales and deals commonly on them vs. Others that rarely go on sale.

Also reeeeally like the helios straps with the HH.. super compact and light and lets you dial in. Relatively cheap comparably and can find them on sale at retailers. FWIW

I did use an eno dbl for YEARS and love it still, with a fronkey net its probably reasonably light but 90 for a tarp, 70 for a hammock 70 for a big net. You can find HH systems 90.00 cheaper.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darro020 View Post
    What materials would you recommend for the dutch hammocks? Hexon? Argon? Also benefits to the various weights? I'm looking at either the netless 11ft or the half-wit. Have any of you owned both? Do you prefer the 11ft with a full bug net over the half wit? I figure spending most of my time in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I probably will need a full bug net.
    I'm partial to Dutch's PolyD1.4 hammock, but I like less stretch. Get the right hammock to support your weight is my recommendation.

I have no interest in the Half-Wit because you have to use your topquilt as part of the bug protection. If you kick off your TQ (and I do when I'm hot), then suddenly your legs are exposed to mosquitoes. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Darro020 View Post
    Also how easy is the whoopie hook suspension for setting up compared to the cinch buckle? And last question until someone responds .... Would you recommend getting the structural ridgeline?
    I've never tried cinch buckles, but I've been using the whoopie hook suspension for four years. It's my favorite. Pack wet suspension away separately from dry hammock, unlike cinch buckles and straps that are typically permanently attached to the hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast