Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

60% comfort / 40% Camping Best Value....Overwhelmed!

Hi Everyone! I am looking to get into the hammock craze and am extremely overwhelmed with the choices out. I would use the hammock about 60% of the time for just hanging out and reading near the lakes in Minneapolis and 40% of the time would be backpacking or camping. I have friends pushing me towards the ENO Doubles hammock for $69 or a Hennessey Expedition for $160. Are they other hammocks that I should be looking at? I am so overwhelmed at the moment. My price limit would be about $180. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

60% comfort / 40% Camping Best Value....Overwhelmed!

No ENO and I am not personally a big fan of Hennessy.

Look at Dutch's website and Arrowhead equipment's website. You can get a very nice 11' hammock in your choice of color and material from Dutch delivered for around $45 add suspension (my favorite is Arrowhead equipment cinch buckles) and a fixed ridgeline and you have a much better more comfortable system than the ones you mentioned for about the same price, maybe a buck or two more or less. The two you mentioned are considered too short by most folks to be able to sleep in comfortably. Be sure to check out The Ultimate Hang for tips.

You are going to get many different opinions and suggestions, many of which will be excellent advice. I am not nearly as dedicated to the hobby as many folks here...just a regular guy that started hammock camping when my tent malfunctioned then I found this site and well....now I'm broke. :-)

My advice is based on the following:
    Own hammocks by ENO, GT, Wilderness Logics and Dutch.

The WL Night Owl and Dutch Netless are far and away better than ENO and/or GT...much more comfortable, better quality materials, more versatile.

I sleep in my hammocks at home quite often (3-4 nights a week), car camp with them, backpack with them and lounge around in them.

The service and quality you get from our cottage vendors is superb.

I am 5'10" tall and currently weigh 185 pounds (but I'm on a diet).

If you want more specifics, photos, direction, whatever, just send me a PM and I'll do my best.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Welcome!

You will get multiple responses echoing the above. You'll be glad you followed that advice.

Thanks. Everyone. Couple quick questions... Should I be looking at a fixed ridgeline? I actually don't even know what a ridgeline is to be honest. Any specific bug nets or rain covers that I should be looking at?

Also if it is helpful... I am 5'9" and about 165 for weight wise.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd stay away from ENO - too heavy, too expensive - beginner stuff. Depending on your height, an HH might work, but if you're anywhere near 5'11", I'd forget about the HH Expedition. That was my first hammock and I never knew how uncomfortable it was until I tried other hammocks. If you do consider a Hennessy, upgrade to the HH Hex tarp - the stock postage stamp tarp won't cut it.

The Hennessy is a good value, because, for around $160, you can get a hammock and a tarp. However, you're gonna need some insulation (especially in MN), so you might want to rethink exactly what you intend to buy. If it were me, knowing what I know now, my starter kit would be a Dutch hammock, Fronkey bugnet, Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension, a Jarbidge UQ (good down to 25* F), and the best tarp I could afford.

So:

Dutch hammock + Whoopie Hook Suspension $81
    Fronkey bugnet $57
    Jarbidge UQ $100
    HH Hex tarp $70
    Total $308
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Also, please watch all Shug videos starting with hammocks for noobs series. Hyperlink on this forums homepage on the right.

Ask, and you shall receive.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Thank you very much everyone! Another quick question... Double layer or single layer?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Darro020 View Post
    Thank you very much everyone! Another quick question... Double layer or single layer?
    If your using a pad for insulation go for the double layer. It will stay in place much better.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darro020 View Post
    Double layer is a rabbit hole (which I went down in my efforts to avoid buying an UQ) strictly for big boys, or people who are committed to pads. Personally, I'd recommend you skip the pad idea since underquilts are so much more comfortable - they will truly open your eyes to how comfy hammock camping can be.

I could never deal with the condensation issues associated with pads - I'm surprised I lasted two years before buying an UQ! I was cheap - what can I say. I wish I had those two years back.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD w/poles
    Insulation
    20* HG/UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar/amsteel
    I tried quite a few hammocks but stopped looking when I got my Warbonnet RidgeRunner. Granted the bridge poles make it not pack as small/convenient as a gathered end and it weighs a little more but it is SO comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast