Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies

Recreating Amazonas Moskito Hammcok Questions

I finallyspent a couple nights in an Amazonas Moskito Hammock this weekend that another forum member gave to me and has been sitting on my shelf for a year or two. I instantly fell in love and it is now my favorite hammock. That's saying a lot since I currently and have previously owned a wide range of hammocks from Walmart stuff to high end stuff and everything in between. This one is going to be my year round car camping hammock, since all I have to do is flip it over to go netless in the winter. But I want to make a gram weenie version for backpacking.

So my questions are: What kind of fabric should I use that has very minimal stretch, is as close to 1.0 as possible, and can handle 200lbs? All the various fabrics out there have exploded in recent times and I haven't been keeping up so I have no idea what fits the bill. I'm assuming some type of polyester fabric, unless we now have no stretch 1.0 nylons.

Next question: What kind of line can I get away with using for the cascades at the ends? I don't think I need anything as strong as amsteel or dynaglide. The lines on the hammock I have seem pretty chincy, which I'm guessing is ok since they are splitting the load. So do I need a Lashit kind of line or can I use something lighter?

Last question: Can anyone link to a video that shows how to do the cascading lines? Or tell me what that cascade is called? I used to know but I forgot, or else I'd just look up a video myself.

Thanks in advance.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think it's called a shroud. Nobody has really experimented with recreating the shroud but WV, and I think he made little mini-whoopie slings out of Zing-It. This was when he was experimenting with cuben fiber hammocks, which I don't think went very well.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...oud+suspension

I have a Byer Moskito hammock with the shroud suspension. I hated the shroud suspension because it was always getting tangled. The hammock was too short for me (I'm 5'11") and the material was way too stretchy for my tastes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my regional hammock forum, people are experimenting with DIY 90° hammocks which are also using lines at both sides. Most used light fabrics, including the 1.0 Robic XL, and so far 2 hammocks have ripped at or near the place where the lines are connected. With lines, you put a lot of stress on a very small area of fabric, no matter what you do. Therefore I would either use a heavier fabric or don't use lines in the ends. I don't think the comfort is a result to the use of lines anyway, but more due to the fabric.

I also don't know a 1.0oz (or even 1.6oz) nylon fabric with little stretch, otherwise I would be using it You could always use the 1.6oz polyester ripstop RbtR sells, or 1.4oz PolyD. But polyester fabrics are even less strong than nylon, and they provide next to no stretch. I found it uncomfortable and prefer using heavier nylons for that reason.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I forgot: for the 90° hammocks, people have been using 1mm Dyneema with good success. Since you spread the load to many lines, you can get away with a small diameter. Maybe even fishing lines - but I imagine that this would be hard to handle.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think it's called a shroud. Nobody has really experimented with recreating the shroud but WV, and I think he made little mini-whoopie slings out of Zing-It. This was when he was experimenting with cuben fiber hammocks, which I don't think went very well.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...oud+suspension

I have a Byer Moskito hammock with the shroud suspension. I hated the shroud suspension because it was always getting tangled. The hammock was too short for me (I'm 5'11") and the material was way too stretchy for my tastes.
    Yeah, I don't want to do a bunch of whoopies. I finally remembered what it's called, it's called a clew, it's actually talked about on The Ultimate Hang. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out to see how the zingit held up. The Moskito hammock I have I got from you, I remember you not liking the shroud suspension. I've figured out how to mitigate that problem so it doesn't bother me anymore. I think it's funny you think it's too stretchy because I don't think it's stretchy at all. I'm used to 1.0 fabrics though.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    In my regional hammock forum, people are experimenting with DIY 90° hammocks which are also using lines at both sides. Most used light fabrics, including the 1.0 Robic XL, and so far 2 hammocks have ripped at or near the place where the lines are connected. With lines, you put a lot of stress on a very small area of fabric, no matter what you do. Therefore I would either use a heavier fabric or don't use lines in the ends. I don't think the comfort is a result to the use of lines anyway, but more due to the fabric.

I also don't know a 1.0oz (or even 1.6oz) nylon fabric with little stretch, otherwise I would be using it You could always use the 1.6oz polyester ripstop RbtR sells, or 1.4oz PolyD. But polyester fabrics are even less strong than nylon, and they provide next to no stretch. I found it uncomfortable and prefer using heavier nylons for that reason.

Do you know how they were attaching the lines to the hammock? The Moskito hammock uses pairs of button holes to do it. I agree that the fabric has a lot to do with the general comfort but I think the lines are the reason for no calf ridge. It was wishful thinking on the low stretch 1.0, but the way fabrics are constantly being developed I wouldn't be surprised to see it one day. Does anyone still have 1.2 PolyD? I really wanna get this as light as possible since my current netted backpacking hammock weighs 12.5oz with suspension. I'd really like to match that or come as close as possible to matching it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I messed around trying to make one last year. I just re-purposed a GT UL hammock (lightweight polyester). This is a cheap way to experiment if you want and the GT UL can be found really cheap. I spliced 1.75 zing-it dogbones for the clews (or nettles). That was a couple of hours of splicing.
    I ran a piece of 1/8" Amsteel through the end channels and burned holes with a micro torch so I could larkshead the dogbones and capture the Amsteel. The channels ripped further in some of the dogbone attachment points, but didn't rip all the way through for the most part. I didn't have problems with my clews tangling, but I used a lightweight biner to gather hem for attaching to my tree strap. I also made a ridgeline that attached to each carabiner and allowed for use of a Fronkey style bug net.
    It was pretty comfortable overall, but I wasn't confident enough to take it camping due to fear of the clews ripping all the way through the end channels.
    WV has some good ideas about reinforcing the ends. Check out his posts. Not sure that you will be able to keep the weight super UL, but maybe.
    Here is mine. I might be able to dig up some more pics if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    All I use are polyester hammocks, either the Dutch PolyD 1.4 or a tablecloth hammock. I appreciate the lack of stretch.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Do you know how they were attaching the lines to the hammock? The Moskito hammock uses pairs of button holes to do it. I agree that the fabric has a lot to do with the general comfort but I think the lines are the reason for no calf ridge. It was wishful thinking on the low stretch 1.0, but the way fabrics are constantly being developed I wouldn't be surprised to see it one day. Does anyone still have 1.2 PolyD? I really wanna get this as light as possible since my current netted backpacking hammock weighs 12.5oz with suspension. I'd really like to match that or come as close as possible to matching it.
    I have some PolyD. PM sent.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Do you know how they were attaching the lines to the hammock?
    I think they use webbing and fold it into the hammock body several times. The strings go through the webbing and fabric.

• + New Posts