Gear-Hammock selection

I have often wondered what is the best hammock for light weight backpacking. I have a Bear Mountain bridge and speer hammoclks. I have enjoyed both hammocks but think that after adding tarp and extras that there must be a better hammock. I am not wild about the war bonnet or hennesy hammocks. The clark jungle hammock on paper appears to be a consideration. I wonder has anyone tried the CJH and will it do the job ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    What are your considerations for what you want for light weight backpacking? Is a bug net needed? Do you want internal storage? What kind of insulation do you plan to use?

Just about ANY hammock will "do the job". It's a tradeoff between comfort (a very personal thing), features, weight, ease of setup, etc etc etc.

You have to provide a bit more detail about what you want / need and what you don't like about the hammocks you've ruled out before anyone can give any genuinely meaningful advice.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    JB:
    Like Mustardman has stated a little more information would help out but here is my take on the CJH NX-200 model that I have. I have tried several others and for me it was the best fit for me physically, I am at 300lbs and 6'1" tall, as far as expected weather conditions to be encountered and overall factory features . It is pricey, but I feel it was money well spent. During the Sipsey Halloween Hang I was glad I had it. The weather shield helped me stay dry when my tarp, not the original Clark tarp, fully saturated with rain water and started leaking. It kept the dripping water from soaking me and warm by trapping some of my escaping body temperature. I also like the fact that the hammock has been through snow, on another Sipsey Hang, and as well performed beautifully. I was warm, dry and comfortable all night.
    I will admit that there are things that I have changed out on the hammock, I dropped the factory rope and went with a cinch buckle and strap set-up, which I think now is an option from the supplier. I also changed the tarp out for "winter camping" to a BWDD Winter Tarp that I got from SCLittlefield who is a forum member here. I did this because after the snow incident in February I wanted a tarp that would close up on the ends and allow me to have a lot of room when there is a chance of rain while I am camping. I also added a KAQ New River UQ from MRPrez, another HF member. But you now have to order those from Arrowhead Equipment who is run by PGibson and family, another HF member, since he has bought the KAQ brand from MRPrez.

In short it is a good hammock for bigger guys and comes with everything that a new Hammocker could need out of the box if you are in a moderate to warm climate. However, it still has some limitations in colder enviroments that can very easily be enhanced with very little effort. I mean let's face it there are no perfect rigs out there, yet!

Sorry for the ramble I hpe this helps you out!
    Last edited by bigbamaguy; 12-12-2009 at 16:00. Reason: to make sense
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Whipped ends WM Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Grab some ripstop nylon, cut it to ~4'x9', singe the edges, and whip the ends.
    This is the lightest hammock I have/use. Other fabric could get you lighter, but I've been happy with the ripstop nylon from walmart's fabric center.

Weight = 7 oz.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I should also add that I don't consider the complexity of the clark to be what I'd call a "lightweight" hammock setup.

An ENO hammock, separate bugnet, and decent tarp will be a lot more lightweight than that clark.

Quote Originally Posted by John Baranowski View Post
    I have often wondered what is the best hammock for light weight backpacking. I have a Bear Mountain bridge and speer hammoclks. I have enjoyed both hammocks but think that after adding tarp and extras that there must be a better hammock. I am not wild about the war bonnet or hennesy hammocks. The clark jungle hammock on paper appears to be a consideration. I wonder has anyone tried the CJH and will it do the job ?
    What about the Nano 7 ?
    http://www.thetravelhammock.com/Prod...aspx?prodId=34
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11046

• + New Posts