Warbonnet set up in a modified Kifaru compression sack "good or no"

OK first post here from a fairly inexperienced hammocker, so this could either be a really good idea or just plain stupid I need your help to decide!

I've just bought a warbonnet ridgerunner, bottom quilt and spindrift, I've also got a decent top quilt to finish it off. So what I was thinking was can you pack the whole lot away in one go leaving the quilts in place. I did a little research and came across the lazy slug tubes which suggests I'm not entirely stupid in my way of thinking but I wasn't sure whether I liked the idea of an extra piece of material in the kit and was thinking of sticking the whole lot in a Kifaru compression sack with a hole added in bottom so that the webbing can come out of both ends.

Does this sound feasible? Is there an obvious flaw to my plan that I'm missing?

I'm thinking the sack will stay in place on the foot end webbing through the hole in the bottom then come take down release the webbing and keeping everything off the floor shove everything in the sack as far as the other webbing, then pull the top shut leaving both sets of webbing outside the bag and then thread them under the cords and then compress everything up.

Hammock
    WBRR or Sparrow
    Tarp
    Depends on the day
    Insulation
    UGQ and Loco libre
    Suspension
    Buckles & Whoopies
    It does work. However, it's pretty bulky when compared to having them compressed and separate. It's a bit easier for me having them somewhat separate to be able to pack in the pack a little easier.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bog01 View Post
    It does work. However, it's pretty bulky when compared to having them compressed and separate. It's a bit easier for me having them somewhat separate to be able to pack in the pack a little easier.
    This is also my experience - I prefer keeping the quilt separate, especially so I can store it more loosely when at home. If you find that for your backpack/packing style on the trail it would work better, though, there's definitely no specific reason it wouldn't work.

If you find you like the Spindrift, that one's definitely worth keeping on with the hammock as much as possible. It's a bit of a process/pain to take on/off - at least with the RR's stock suspension options. Definitely not something you'd do on the trail but at home.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Yeah I was going to take the quilts out for storage at home anyway. and even though I've not fitted the spindrift yet (next job) I realise that is not an easy on /off thing.

Bog01 what makes it less easy to compress when it's all together? Surely it should all compress the same size in one as individually? Or at least close, bearing mind I have no direct experience of this yet I just wondered why you thought it wasn't/didn't?

Hammock
    WBRR or Sparrow
    Tarp
    Depends on the day
    Insulation
    UGQ and Loco libre
    Suspension
    Buckles & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesknives View Post
    Yeah I was going to take the quilts out for storage at home anyway. and even though I've not fitted the spindrift yet (next job) I realise that is not an easy on /off thing.

Bog01 what makes it less easy to compress when it's all together? Surely it should all compress the same size in one as individually? Or at least close, bearing mind I have no direct experience of this yet I just wondered why you thought it wasn't/didn't?
    That probably didn't come out very clear the way I tried to say it. With it all wrapped up together it's just one big mass, when you separate them you can shove the smaller pieces into the nooks and crannies a bit easier. We're packing for summer camp this weekend I'll see if I get a chance to pack it both ways and take a couple pics packed both ways.

• + New Posts