Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none

A look at the crowsnest

Some of you had been asking for larger pictures of the crowsnest. Here are some of the quilt attached to a Warbonnet Blackbird, as well as my overnight experience with it.

Temperatures, according to the National Weather Svc were in the mid-30's. I didn't take a min/max thermometer with me because, well, I don't have one and didn't think about getting one until it was too late.

Setting up and getting the quilt attached to a Warbonnet Blackbird was quick and painless. I used the JRB quilt suspension looped through my SMC ring that supports the hammock then looped over the whipping as described in the instructions for hanging a JRB UQ on a gathered end hammock.

This is where I noticed what would become one of two suspected issues with the quilt. First, let me say that this quilt is huge. It's gianormous and thick, but still light. The size plays a slight disadvantage for my setup, I think, because the quilt is butted up against the shelf of the blackbird, which causes the quilt to not come all the way up, leaves a gap between the hammock and the UQ and leaves the footbox of the hammock partially uncovered. I also noticed that the UQ shifts from side to side a bit, and I believe that this can also be attributed to the shelf getting in the way.

My solution, so far, is to lace some light shock cord through the tabs on the foot end of the quilt, over the top of the blackbird bug netting and ridge line and use a cord lock to tighten it up around the footbox and hold the quilt in place on the foot end. The shelf, I tucked into the space between the hammock and the UQ.

I should also note that the quilt appears to have a head-end and foot-end. I flipped the quilt around and tried everything except lacing the shock cord, but by the time I thought of these things, I was packing up. The full size UQ offers AMPLE coverage. I'll be setting it up on a BMBH tomorrow (I hope) in order to give stormcrow some input in that respect.

My permanent solution is probably going to be to have a winter hammock and a summer hammock. Since I don't need a bug net in cold weather, having a WB traveller or ENO type hammock will probably make life easier on lacing the foot-end tabs up to pull the quilt close. I'm almost convinced that, with an open top-loading hammock, the right person could turn this thing into a semi-pea-pod.

Pictures below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What's the story on the cot under the canopy? An unenlightened friend?

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    What's the story on the cot under the canopy? An unenlightened friend?

Jerry
    a guy from work that decided to join me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    If that pop up is as heavy as the white one that I have he will not get it to far from the truck. But hey it should work great.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I also have the Crowsnest (3/4 and full) and I specifically ordered it with the sleeve and the 4-corner attachments. Because his UQs are so wide I use them both with the JRB suspension. This is done by tying two overhand loops in the ends of the sleeve cords and attaching it along with the 4 corner grosgain loops. This gives lateral and longitudinal support simultaneously. A little trial and error takes place to get the tension "Just right" but pays off with optimum coverage with minimal slippage.
    Others makers design their 3/4 UQ much narrower and while lighter, it multiplies the chance for slippage and "Cold spots" With the Crowsnest you get more quilt for the same or less $$$.

There are also shockcorded centerline attachments on my UQs and two mid-sleeve grosgain loops for additional support (Over the ridgeline). If I find that the footbox is a problem I may have him sew grosgain loops on both sides and fix it to the ridgeline or suspension for resistance to the torqing action with position change. The only "Solution" may be to use Omni tape or velcro to solidly fix the quilt to the hammock sides on the WBBB but I don't see that being necessary on my Claytor or most gathered end hammocks.

He makes custom equipment for the discrimating hammocker.
    I asked Adam to give me the most options for my two hammocks (Claytor JH and the WBBB) and he delivered...
    Last edited by soundmanob; 12-12-2009 at 22:17.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    want me some crowsnest

Caw....Caw....CAW !!!!!!!!!
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thoughts on suspending "The Incubator"

Thank you for your field report Fulminated. I must say that camo was looking good out there with all of those leaves! I am going to address a couple of things I noticed in the photos of your setup.

First, let me say that this quilt is huge. It's gianormous and thick, but still light. The size plays a slight disadvantage for my setup, I think, because the quilt is butted up against the shelf of the blackbird, which causes the quilt to not come all the way up, leaves a gap between the hammock and the UQ and leaves the footbox of the hammock partially uncovered. I also noticed that the UQ shifts from side to side a bit, and I believe that this can also be attributed to the shelf getting in the way.
    This full length under quilt was built to be shaped like the bottom of a standard gathered end hammock. So, by design, it wants to follow those long curves from end to end. It is not built asymetrically. However, this does not mean that it can not conform to someone who lays in their hammock in an asymetrical position (which the majority of us like to do).

Now, enter the footbox design of the Blackbird which many of us (including myself) have come to know and love. While it allows us to get even flatter, it presents a little more of a challenge to the full length under quilt user. That footbox design falls outside of the traditional lines of the gathered end hammock. So, even though it is just a small protrusion, it can have the affect of pulling the insulation away from the under side of the hammock in that area. Luckily, these are things easily overcome.

There are tie outs on the Incubator that allow the user to attach the quilt to a variety of anchors to alleviate these gaps. The ridge line and hammock suspension line can be used effectively to pull the quilt close to the footbox. There is some fiddle factor here but once it is addressed it is no longer an issue. Also, the foot box slipping out of the quilt would no longer be a problem.

My solution, so far, is to lace some light shock cord through the tabs on the foot end of the quilt, over the top of the blackbird bug netting and ridge line and use a cord lock to tighten it up around the footbox and hold the quilt in place on the foot end. The shelf, I tucked into the space between the hammock and the UQ.
    Awesome! Looks like you are heading in the right direction. In the future I will send specific directions for anchoring the Incubator to the footbox of a BlackBird user. I will also probably make a video..

I should also note that the quilt appears to have a head-end and foot-end.
    Nope, it is symetricallly tapered at both ends. There is not a seperate head or foot end.

...I'm almost convinced that, with an open top-loading hammock, the right person could turn this thing into a semi-pea-pod.
    It is definitely not as wide as the peapod but it does have tabs similar to the Snugfit which can be laced to bring it in around the user that much closer.

Another thing I should note on Fulminated's setup. I have to admit that when his was sent out, there was an error in quality control.... His end channel shock cord was not installed. I sent him all of the materials (and a little extra) to put it together but should have included instructions. We here at "ThePerfectTrees" are getting some things ironed out.... Anyway, it appears as though the ends are cinched up incorrectly. if you compare you third picture with the one of me on the northern hang, you can see the how the end of your channel is not hugging the hammock due to the way the end channels were drawn together. I have attached the two pictures for comparison.

Thanks again for posting your report.

Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Adam - In that picture you posted, do you have the shock cord hung from the whipping "yetti-style"?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    Adam - In that picture you posted, do you have the shock cord hung from the whipping "yetti-style"?
    The shock cord suspension for the quilt in this photo is attached to the hammock around the whipping. This particular hammock is a BB. The end channel shock cord is not attached to anything...it is just cinched closed with a cord lock.

On the end channel, one end of the shock cord is permanently attached and the other end (the one with the cord lock) controls how much it is cinched up. If that makes any sense...

Here are couple of more pictures I found that kind of show it. These are pictures of a 3/4 quilt but the idea is the same. You can see the knot that is used to keep the cord from pulling though in this version.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    that makes perfect sense, but I don't have the channels on the side. I have grosgrain tabs on the side like a snugfit.
    Last edited by trigger hurt; 12-13-2009 at 11:06. Reason: pictures of 3 corners

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast